Discussion in 'New Members' started by Linley, 22 Sep 2009.

1. Linley

Linley

Hi There

I have been a keen tropical aqurium keeper for more than ten years now, I think it is high time that I move on to a marine aqurium. The ocean has been a big part of my life as long as I can remember and my hobby's over the last twenty years reflect this so it will only make sense to bring the "Ocean" into my house.

I am planing to convert my 160Ltr tropical aqurium into a marine aquirium so I will need all the advice I can get from you.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hello there linley, great to hear that you want to get your hands salty after all this time :) welcome to the dark side :)

marines really are a great hobby, far more intricate and challenging than fresh water (bath water in here!) and you will have alot to learn, but its all fun and wonderfully rewarding :)

does that tank have an overflow, and a sump? those are the first two things to look at, first 2 out of a thousand :)

welcome to masa i look forward to watching your tank progress:)

4. Linley

Linley Thread Starter

Hi Crispin

Thanks for the welcome, nope it is a standard tank no overflow. How do I convert it and what should a sump system consist of and how does it work?

Your mind is going to burn from all the questions!!!:thumbup:

5. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Hi and welcome. What are the dimensions of your tank, post some pics if possible!

6. Linley

Linley Thread Starter

Thanks Ghaydeen

The tank is 1200x 450x450

7. inflames

inflames

Welcome Linley! :wave2:Hope you enjoy your stay at MASA. I also made the move from bath water about a year ago. Exactly the same size tank as you have! Built a sump and had the tank drilled to get the overflow to the sump. Have a look at some of the pictures that I have posted on my setup and hopefully it will help! I must confess that I only found MASA after I had set my tank up and there are a few things that I would do differently now:whistling:...so ask as many questions as possible and enjoy this fantastic hobby...please be very very very patient, in this hobby bad things happen FAST!!:razz:

8. danimal

danimal

welcome and good luck!

9. Prodigy

Prodigy

Welcome to MASA enjoy and ask as many questions as u can
    Cheers

10. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

11. brentnorm

brentnorm

:welcometomasa2:

12. Tony

Tony

Hello Linley and Welcome. Where is Felixton?

13. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

14. Linley

Linley Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome, Felixton is a 10km from Empangeni and 30km from Richardsbay and a half an hour boat ride to crisp clean warm ocean curent!!

I have found a donar tank for my DSB 900x375x375, will this be big enough if my display will be 1200x485x485?
    What size pump will I need to use if the water volume is going to be +/-380lt for the display and sump combined?

15. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcometomasa

16. seank

seank

[​IMG]

17. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome Linley

18. Hermanus

Hermanus

Welcome!!!

I will go with a 3ft sump under the DT if you can put it under. Normally it has 3 compartments first is protein skimmer with Live rock second your DSB and 3de return pump, the bigger DSB the better and make sump so that you can make DSB up to 15cm thick, so it sound's like that donor tank will big enough.

Pump must return plus minus 4-5 times water volume back to DT, 1500L/h or 2000L/H will do.

19. Linley

Linley Thread Starter

Great!! Next qeustion what size skimmer should I aim for and what will be a good brand to get?

20. crispin

crispin

many people really like the Reef octopus range of skimmers (i havent ever used one) and a ts2 should eb a good bet.

but there are some other skimmers on the market which are really well thought of, i know lanzo from dory pets posted a thread about other skimmers a while back.

perhaps start a thread from the sponsors as to what skimmers they have available and see whats out there.

21. crispin

crispin

well without an over flow athere are a number of things you could do, but i would personally look at getting the tank drilled so that you can have a corner over flow with a durso (look up durso's, great invention at keeping noise down).

sumps really are simple things, often over complicated. but basically you want a three chamber system to house different forms of filtration. You get mechanical (skimmers etc), biological (Live rock, DSB's, algae and aglae scrubbers) and then chemical filtration. the advantage of the sump is a number of reasons, hiding of unsightly equipment (pumps skimemers heaters etc) and increased water volluming allowing greater stability of the overall system being the primary two, but there are other advantages.

Very simply put a sump takes the 'dirtiest' water from the over flow, cleans and 'processes' it and returns it via a pump back to display. a good sump is normally amazingly simple in design but complex in its processes. by this i mean its probably a three chamber set up with skimmer, dsb and then return with a seperate top up resivoire for an auto top up of RO water next to it.

then you can add other things. some cheatomorpha algae growing in the sump allows for the absorbtion of nutrients and gives a good place for small pods and critters to thrive. these are then pumped back into the tank and become a good food source.

you can add on calcium reactors, put in bags with carbon, or phosphate removers. you can build ATS (algae turf scrubbers) and so on.

but without a sump your options are greatly limited and the job of keepinga reef tank is far harder.

personally i would either buy a second hand tank already drilled with overflow or i would drill that other tank. you can use a siphon system, but personally i wouldnt.

as for my mind burning....i doubt that, its hellishly hard to get anything to burn in a vacume, so fire away with the questions

Recent Posts