Discussion in 'New Members' started by wors143, 28 Jun 2009.

1. wors143

wors143

Hello all. MARINE is SO COOL. ALMOST as good as the BOKS winning the LIONS yesterday. LMAO USA is ahead 2 - 0 against Brazil who could have thought. My house is a little ZOO, A tree squirrel named pokkelkie, Toy Pom, 3 Hamsters a love bird that flew away, told my son the bird went on holiday to Durban he he he. and two monkeys my daughter and son Megan and Jayden. I have been running tropical for about 6 months now. and acquired my marine system 2 weeks ago. got the system from a guy who did not have the energy for marine so lucky for me everything was running for a while and did not have to go through the whole breaking in cycle. The system consisted of a 3 foot canopy that was cut away so the 4 foot lights can rest on the glass.... LMAO it looked bad. Protien skimmer with have of the parts missing. 2000lh powerhead, corner filter thinge mebob , heater that blew the first time i plugged it in HA HA HA. Live rock about 15KG's, Picasso trigger and a tomato clown and i got this all for the bargain price of R600.... or so i thought.... the next day R1800 later new canopy lights and some salt and tester kits, Thanx to the guys at the LFS store in little falls for advice and giving me a 2nd hand bust protien skimmer for spares. I was rearing to go. 14 days later and I still can't take my eyes off my tank. Very little TV and a lot of playing with my new toys. I transplanted the Marine tank to the Tropical and Vise versa. So now my marine tank is a corner unit with more depth and it looks great. will load some pics asap. Just managed to get an anennenenomommommy today for the clown, and guess what the clown is laughing all the way and not even going close to the anennneenommommy. Also got a Yellowtail damsel and a bicolor thingy mebob... it's yellow at the back and pink in the front... still new with the names. Anyway hope to learn a lot and meet some good people on this site. OOR en UIT WORS

A friend once said to me if you have logic you can keep fish, if not don't even try...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. schaun

schaun

Welcome to MASA man. You will find everyone here very helpful and full of complements.
    I know the feeling. Not being able to move from your tank. Gets to my girl though.
    I also started with fresh water and mover one.
    It is a total different ballgame.
    What I have learned is. Read as much as you can, ask questions lots of them.
    And the most important, my motto: Only bad things happen fast and quickly in a tank
    The rest takes a lot of patients (LOTS AND LOTS)
    Give your tank a chanch to settle after adding new things.
    It’s an amazing hobby. It will become part of the families.
    Lots of luck with your new tank.

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, but let me get this right (and i don't blame you at all for this) you were sold a 3ft tank with a picasso trigger in it? if yes it will need moving to a very much larger tank very soon, i have seen one over 14 inches long!!!

5. Phyrannus

Phyrannus

WELCOME Mate:1:

6. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Wors - A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! I am VERY GLAD that the marine bug bit you. BUT, in a way I am sad. I would have preferred you join MASA BEFORE you got that marine tank.

BUT, that is now past history. So - we have to get you on the right track.

OK - how long have the previous owner have the tank, live rock, and life stock, all in one glass box, for?

I presume that the picasso trigger is still very small. So...... BUT, you will most likely have to look at upgrading even your CORNER UNIT at some stage, or find a good home for the picasso trigger.

I want to give you the following advice:
    - PLEASE remember that PATIENCE is the biggest factor in keeping marines SUCCESSFULLY.... without a huge amount of patience, you will most likely end up, in giving up....
    - Knowledge is MAJOR ammo, in the journey of keeping marines successfully. So - you will HAVE TO READ A HUGE AMOUNT, and ask as many questions as it takes for you to become successful
    - Even though your LFS seems very helpful - PLEASE PLEASE come and double check EVERYTHING you want to buy, and they want to sell you, here with us! Believe me - it's worth it in the long run..... else you MIGHT just get sold stuff you don't really require, and inferior kit that you might need to replace. Also - with marines you something called: incompatible lifestock..... Please ask?

Good luck with your journey - please read through the URL in my signature, on "starting marine tanks".... you will and should already have a few questions after reading that.

BTW: Did you get ANY test-kits with the tank? Do you know what the water parameters are? Just take note that most freshwater test kits do not work well with marine/salt water....

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Wors :)

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Wors, hope you enjoy it here with us. Please read through my signature for some great beginner info ;)
    I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

1) How long was the tank running before you bought it?
    2) What lights do you have in the marine tank?
    3) what flow pumps do you have?
    4) What test kits did you buy?
    5) What are the current water parameters?

ammonia
    nitrites
    nitrates
    pH
    salinity
    temp

We need to know these things as anemonies are very delicate and sensitive creatures and they need excellent water quality and strong lights to thrive. Do you feed the nennie?

10. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

11. wors143

wors143 Thread Starter

Hi All thanx for the warm welcome... Trigger is still small 6-7cm in size now same size as my tomato clown. as you all know once you get a setup it looks great for about an hour before you start planning the upgrade he he he. I am looking for my new setup now with lots of planning..... supersizing from my current setup. as far as water readoings go all readings are in check, salinity 1.02 , PH 8.0 Nitrate and Nitrite non existent all is doing well and fish are doing well and eating well. I got 6 different test kits so far just the basics PH Nitrate nitrite calcium and 2 others.

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Salinity 1.02?

That can be anything from 1.020 - 1.029 :whistling:

13. inflames

inflames

welcometomasa

14. RUAN

RUAN

masahello

15. werner5

werner5

how old is your tank it doesnt sound to stable for a nemmie

16. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome Wors

just a thought about the trigger....remember they are carnivores and will eat your shrimps / crabs etc. Also very messy feeders in my opinion, best kept with other aggressive species

17. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Wors...WELCOME TO MASA

Recent Posts