thanks reefmaster. but still just the beginning for me.
i am afraid to say you will probably feel that you are always at the beginning. I have kepts a reef for a little while and looked at others and I still spend hours reading, learning looking and understanding. Its a never ending joy of discovery:thumbup:

the length of my tubes are 1200mm-25mm od. 40w. the rock on the right is definatey not lr. but am gonna organise me some for now this week. got some close up pics here you wanted.
Marine Aquariums of South Africa - View Single Post - Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting - NO, VHO, and T5

ok that sounds like T8's to me. Not the best as the output is far lower than T5's. read through the thread above and all the threads in the lighting forum, specifically the sticky ones which you see first. Its a complex subject and the better your understanding is, the easier guys will be able to help you later, so do some reading if ya havent already:)

heres the lenk to the lighting forum :)

Lighting - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

i would put getting good quality LR a high priority for that tank to be honest.

I am a little worried that you havent got that much and you have LS in there already. By adding more live rock you will most likely have die off and thus a cycle, i would think a fairly large cycle too, and thus i fear the amonia and nitrite build up due to not having sufficient biological filtration yet. You will have to test alot when you put more LR in and if any doubt you need to do water changes.

Sorry i cant recall, are u using NSW (natural sea water) or synthetic salt mixed?

thanks viper. i found him a couple days ago. hes a stone throw away from my place. wat do u guys use inside your sump. i see you guys dont like to use bio-balls and those porcelain things.

wat do u guys use inside your sump. i see you guys dont like to use bio-balls and those porcelain things.
Most guys just go the easiest and simplest way which is a 3 chamber sump:

1st chamber - receives water from the tank overflow and also houses protein skimmer (if internal)
2nd chamber - DSB with very fine grain sand at about 12cm's deep
3rd chamber - return pump

caddy, ATS (algae turf scrubber) are great ideas and have been used to very good effect in a number of tanks. i dont run one at the mo, but a good read on it is Marine Aquariums of South Africa - View Single Post - Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

the thread is closed as it had reached its main discussion point, but read through the whole thing and then ask any questions you have. Its a long read, but well worth it.

PS the ideas of running a tank without a skimmer cause youve made a scrubber are stupid and fool hardy especially for a beginner. My opnion and others disagree, but read that thread its a good one:)

i see they use a light their obviously for photosynthesis for the algae to grow. but now what light should i have shining on it? what would be the best material for the algae to grow on? i was thinking a piece of an undergravel filter cause its already slotted?

another question. how much flow should you be having over your algae scrubber. i was thinking of diverting my tank overflow onto the scrubber

Congratulations Caddy - awesome skimmer TS? You will be pleased with this buy - BTW what did this set you back? Oh and welcome to the Reeftek Clan - do you have a pic of this beast in action?

its the ts3. still building a stand out of pvc for it to rest on.
18074a465d9fa65c2.jpg

Awesome awesome skimmer dude - you wont regret this buy! Why you wanna raise it? It seems to be working fine there;) Just bring the water level to where the "reeftek" box (sign)is

Back
Top Bottom