new member terry hayward

Discussion in 'New Members' started by terry, 1 Apr 2009.

1. terry

terry

Hi all
    I am brand new to this site as well as to marine aquariums.I have hade tropical fish as a kid and recently found a 1.8m wide tank which i set up and established with plants for three weeks.it had great circulation and airation,water is rain as we stay on a farm.baught myself two large tiger oscars[i have always whanted since i was busy with tanks as a kid]Well these two fish survived for a few hours and both were dead the next morning.Dont look like im gonna be nominated for an oscar again.well my son and i are great scuba enthusiasts and decided to drain the toxic tank and start again with marine.So,this is where you guys come in i guess.What to do now,I m itching to get started and tuscan[my son]Recons its probably best to fill the tank first, before i put fish in it.I would like to stock it with our local specimens,we are in knysna western cape.:peroni::peroni::peroni::slayer:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hi Terry Welcome to MASA!!

Best bet would be to check out the Starting a Marine Tank thread in the beginners forum. Besides reading this I reckon the experts on this forum will be more than willing to help you out as best they can.

Good luck .
    :)

4. brettb2020

brettb2020

welcome to MASA!!! Im also a newbie so cant help much. But you come to the right place:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

6. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome Terry im new hear too so me cant help

7. crispin

crispin

hello terry :)

welcome to masa, great to have you and your son on board.

there really is an incredible amount to learn before one goes off and even puts water into a tank, let alone salt (although you maywell be able to get NSW...natural sea water.)

the best way to learn is to read and ask questions. Too many of us rush things, dont research and dont understand what we are actually doing. That leads to death. Simple. So you have to know whats goping to happen because of your actions :)

the new members threads will ahve a wealth of information of people who started at the same point as you and will show you mant of the common mistakes. At the same time having a look at the different peoples tanks on here will allow you to see some of the things they achieve and HOW they achieve them. Thats great info too.

a 1.8m LONG tank is a great start. I had a 1.8m and it really was adelight to look after.

Give us all the other dimensions and lets see what we can do to assit you in setting it up correctly.

Just a note. Rain water is not a option in Marines.

Starting from today you ahve atleast 6 weeks bare minumum before adding any fish, assuming you have all the equipment already. In other words...GO SLOW :) thats the best advice you'll ever get in marines.

8. Tridan

Tridan

Welcome to Masa

9. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Terry :)

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Terry, hope you enjoy it here with us. Please read and learn as much as you can before even starting, cause a simple thing as using the wrong water in marines can give you endless headaces. Read through my signature as there are some excellent info for beginners. Ask here before buying anything as our advice is free and might save you a couple $$$.
    Please take it slow and enjoy the hobby

:wave2:

13. Jog

Jog

Welcome Terry, I only started a month ago, learned a lot, still learning and will never stop learning. Enjoy and keep good relations with your bank manager.

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome Terry

15. Pete

Pete

:welcometomasa2:

16. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA

17. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome, happy posting!

18. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

19. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

20. terry

terry Thread Starter

trapping fish

:slayer:How doo,
    Can anyone give me advice on trapping my own specimens.I recently set some 2l coke bottle with spout inverted type baited with fish skeleton and a day later there wasnt a single captive.
    Also no one at the dive club can shed any info on the rules and regs on trapping small fish this way,would it be a simple fishing permit or am i delving into a more serious issue than what meets my fish eye.
    I have my tank up and riunnin now for abouut a week and have some local black tail and a cape moony roamin about.the tank is still a bit murky,is this all good.I had to do a partial water change in the week cause the live rock that i placed in the tank was a bit too live[red bait,sea weed and a few muscles]which lead to the smell reminicent of the underside of a fishing trawler in dry dock.
    I also just installed a tetra pond bio filter that i have had in storage since my old garden pond,so i riggged it up to a pump and its circulating the water[it works with a inlet into the drum at the top and is spread by filter foam and tricles down plastic cones to the outlet]
    My second pump draws water through the built in compartment within the tank past some smaller pieces of live rock.Am i on the right track here.:slayer::slayer:

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi terry welcome to MASA - catching your own specimens can be a little tricky coz according to parks board in plain simple english they say that your fish should have fighting chance - the nitty gritty of the rules are not clearly stated on a permit obtained from the post office but meet up with officials from Parks and Recreational dept. and things can get nasty! Some things I learnt from the Pain in the butt dudes : If you choose to catch after dark - No artificial lighting! Drag nets are NOT allowed! sizes and quantity of specimens are specified on permit (which you HAVE to get - R75 from Post Office) If you want molluscs it is another R75 - all on the permit - plain old fashion hoop nets are no problem just not too big! get a few sizes - Also a big :nono: No No is a chisel and hammer found with you on the beach for Rocks - These Parks board dudes have enough authourity yto confiscate and imprison you - remember they have conservation in mind and if you damaging then ... hope this helps ;)

Recent Posts