New Member Skippie

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Skippie, 4 Feb 2012.

1. Skippie

Skippie

Hi All,
    I got a empty tank from a friend yesterday And i have always dreamt of having a Huge Marine tank. This i want to get 100% right so i want to take my time to get all the right stuff and make it a long term project. I live in Pretoria and love the Aquarium’s at display in Cape Town Fish Market's.
    So yes here i am and i hope that i can learn from you all and build my M.A over the next couple of years. Looking forward to meet you all and share some laugh's and tears.
    Skippie.

When times are good, Fish are plenty!!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Skippie,
    Welcome to MASA!

Hopefully you will share tears of joy, not sadness!

The best way to start this hobby is to read, read, and when you are tired of reading, go read some more. Patience is a virtue that will come in handy, in order to avoid dissapointment later on.

We are all one big family, and there are plenty of experienced aquarists on this forum willing to assist.

So now for the fun part.. What do you plan to keep in your system?

What setup did you receive?

Happy reefing with us!
    Cheers
    Carla

4. Skippie

Skippie Thread Starter

Hi Gesiggie,
    I got a Dried up Tropical tank, But like i say It’s just the tank at this point. And to be honest I am still open to anything at this point but the idea is for some reef and bright fish, I have my heart on some sharks as well So i will still look around and deff. Read, Post, read and read before i buy ....

Thanks

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:...the Tank you got yesterday...was it used for Freshwater...asking as you need to find out if any Copper based Med's were used....

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

welcome skip. all the cool chicks have welcomed you with fanfare scuse the lower caps!

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome!

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Welcome to MASA

9. erratiC

erratiC

welcometomasa

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you learn a lot here. Before you start, I suggest you read the link below on starting a marine tank - great info for beginners and a nice read. Also look through here - Members Systems and Setups - Marine Aquariums of South Africa to help you decide on your setup.

If your tank does not have an overflow, I suggest you think about what you wanna do in the long run as a tank with overflow and sump is better in my opinion as you can hide all the stuff like heaters and skimmers and have your other filtration in there like a deep sand bed, NP pellets, carbon, etc, etc. Depending on your choice of filtration of coarse ;)
    But first read that article.

I believe sharks must stay in the ocean, but there are guys keeping sharks in very big tanks, we're talking thousands of litres here with very expensive filtration. But ja, I don't like it :whistling:

11. raytone

raytone Raytone

Welcome to masa. What size is your tank? You can allways upload a pic or two. WE LIKE PICS !!!!!!!!!

12. Skippie

Skippie Thread Starter

:eek:
    I was planning to tgrough out every thing and just use the Glass "cage" not eve the pipes or bottom "tray". Will that still be a problem even if i wash and dry it a couple of times????

13. Skippie

Skippie Thread Starter

Thanks man ... I hope they stay that whay I need all the support and advice i can get LOL Seems like you are a awesome grp Thanks for Having me..

14. Skippie

Skippie Thread Starter

Thanks for the Welcome and the link I am on it now......Then regarding the Sharks ....i think i have changed my mind ....1000's of liters.....Dont have that kind off money .. i will leave them in the ocean ...:thumbup:

15. crispin

crispin

hey skippie, welcome to masa:)

lets hear a liottle about the tank you have, what size is it, what glass is it made of, is it on a satnd and see if we can help to convert it to marines, or is it possibly best set up as A QUARENTINE SYSTEM and you get a purpose built marine system.

the thing about copper meds is that they often absorb into the silicone and even trace amounts can be deadly to inverts in a marine system, so if in doubt its best not to have corals and shrimps etc in there at all :(

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

17. Skippie

Skippie Thread Starter

Hey crispin,
    I measured it today Its build from 4,5mm Class its 355mm X 902 mm and 315mm Deep Calculates to about 100Liters. I could not speak to the previous owner regarding the Copper meds SOooooo yes I may be in trouble there Cause i really would like to have those corals and shrimps. I will also look at the for sale section Maybe someone will donate some stuff ....
    I will post immediately if i know about the copper meds Or maybe there is a test i can do to see if there are traces of copper in the Tank after i washed it?

Henno

18. Skippie

Skippie Thread Starter

Hey All ,

I decided not to go with the tropical tank, So CW (and thanks allot CW i owe you a beer:1:) basically gave me his start up tank and a lot of advice ......I cant wait to collect the tank and get started.

I will Post pics and dimensions and plan's as soon as i have it, then i can start reefing ....Happy times.:thumbup:

19. crispin

crispin

i think you probably owe him beers for a year....unless he drinks like kanga....no hang on no one drinks beer like kanga.

good luck with the tank, looking forward to see you and the tank progress:)

Recent Posts