New Member - New Tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by CliveS, 28 May 2010.

1. CliveS

CliveS

Hi. It is great to be here.

I have been wanting to get a marine tank for many years, but the cost of it was a little daunting and the prospect of killing off livestock was even more so.

Last week, I saw a small Buyo 550 aquarium and thought that this was safer than a big tank and I took the plunge. My logic being that I can always 'go bigger' when I feel a little more comfortable.

I feel guilty at asking questions already, but hope no one objects?

The Buyo instructions were in Chenglish and I don't have a dictionary. The first issue I had, was with the positioning of the WG308 skimmer. After a few days, I realised that the top of the skimmer should be just a little higher than the water level. Is that right?

I then played with the level at which the bubbles reach and settled on about three quarters of the way up the tube. It always seems to change on its' own, though, and tends to go higher, overflowing into the cup. Is this skimmer a waste of time and should I be looking at a better one? The cup is full of clean water.

I put a pack of Carib Sea Arag Alive Reef Sand into the tank.

Here is my next question... I bought about 15kgs of live rock and put it in the tank, which had only just been filled with RO water and salt mix (I tested the salinity and it was fine) but the temperature was not up to 25 degrees at that stage. It was around 16 degrees when I put in the live rock in. Would that kill off critters? The guy at the lfs said that I could expect to see some colour develop on the rock with three to four days. Nothing yet.

I then tested the water and got a ph of 8.4, NO2 of 0 and NH3 of 0.5.

Since then (this was a week ago) I have tested the water again and it is still on a PH of 8.4, NO2 of 0 and NH3 of 0.05. I forgot to test for NO3, which I will do from now on!!

I have noticed some miniscule little pin pricks that go darting all over the tank. They often go up to the surface and then jet back down again. What are these little chaps? There are loads of them.

The rock seems to be letting of gas, with numerous tiny bubbles being released.

I have also been wondering about the temperature. It goes from as low as 23.5 up to 25.4. Maybe I should invest in a second heater?

So many questions, for which I apologise, but don't want to rely solely on the lfs for advice.

Thanks so much for reading this and hopefully, for helping.

Last edited: 28 May 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

welcome to MASA :thumbup: firstly the LFS usually lies, colouration or corraline algae growth, the purple stuff, takes a while, your tank should cycle first, the live sand and rock will help alot

4. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcometomasa

5. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

masahello

welcome and have a look thru the links in my signature

7. dallasg

i stay in sandton too, so if you want to meet up we can, also look at joining the jhb reef club

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

I can't help with the skimmer as I've never owned one, but there are lots of guys here with the same tank, they will be able to help.
    Possibly, but it would be a good thing if you had a bit of die-off as this will jump start your cycle. A lot of the life may have survived as well. Your cycle (depending on your rock) may take up to 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Don't put any livestock in the tank until your cycle is complete, there are toxic stages during a cycle that can kill livestock.
    Might take a fair bit longer than that.
    More than likely copepods or amphipods etc. good little guys.
    Harmless nitrogen bubbles. This will lessen and eventually stop after a while.
    Might be a good idea, also a safety backup to have more than one heater in case one fails. Have a look at the Jager heaters, excellent quality and very accurate.
    Don't apologise, that's why we're here, we love questions. :)

9. dallasg

thats second to our love of pictures

10. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Wow Dallasg - thanks so much for your detailed answers. I am feeling a little better.

I have sent a request (to you I believe!) to join the jhb reef club. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

11. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Hi Viper

Thanks so much for all the answers. I really appreciate it.

Shortly after posting this thread, I went to the 'emergency' section and read a horror story of someone who had most of his livestock die on him and reaffirmed that this is exactly why I want to be here (not to kill them.. !!!)

I will have a look for a Jager heater tomorrow. The one that I have (the Buyo that came with the tank) is set to 26.5, to get it to settle a water temp of between 23.5 and 25.5, so I am not feeling too confident with it.

12. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!!! Keep an eye on the tank, you will see allot of new funny critters and stuf popping out:thumbup:. Just remember that some of these critters can be bad for the tank, stuff like mantis shrimp and nudibranches. If you feel that you wan't an ID on the critter you discover,just post a pic on the forum and ask if it's safe. Like the rest said please take it slow with the tank as nothing good happens fast.

Oh and just for future reference...WE LOVE PICS!!!!!!!:p

13. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Thanks Annoying

My second love is photography, so there will be some coming, when there is something to show!

I am really patient and decided a while back, that I was in no rush to stock the tank, so will certainly take it really slowly.

14. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA CliveS, hope you enjoy it here. There is some good reading for you in my signature on starting a marine tank, do yourself a favour and really read it - you'll learn a lot ;)
    O ja, post some pics :)

16. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Thanks Tobes. I have read and sponged up all I could!

Thanks so much to everyone for the welcomes and for suggestions. It is uplifting to see such an active group.

17. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

I am doing something wrong. I was wondering if anyone had placed a list of LFSs here on Masa, so did a search under "LFS" as a start point and it returned no results.

Does anyone know of a list here of equipment and livestick suppliers in the Gauteng region?

Thanks.

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

Welcome CliveS ... Click on top left hand Tab "Home" then under "Main menu" you will find "Sponsors" ... Click on that and you should be well on your way into good hands ... The reason why theres no list of LFS is ethically speaking its right to give MASA's sponsors first preference in being of service to us ... Besides the some of the LFS out there are out there just to make a quick buck ...

19. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

That makes sense, thanks Chikaboo.

20. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome...

21. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You've got lots to show already, we enjoy photo's of empty tanks, rock, anything. ;)

Recent Posts