New member needs advice on Substrate

Reaction score
Hi.
I am totally new to this hobby and unfortunately not done my home work. I got a 1.8m tank. Lotsa live rock. 60kilos I think. I Wana add substrate. I have bought all this stuff from the guy who made me the tank and I'm beginning to question if he jus sold me everything to make money as I added all the live rock wen the tank was started. Anyway I wanted to add a substrate, he advised me on sand with coral seeds in it. Cost R790. Amy idea? Your help will b much appreciated.

Hi.
I am totally new to this hobby and unfortunately not done my home work. I got a 1.8m tank. Lotsa live rock. 60kilos I think. I Wana add substrate. I have bought all this stuff from the guy who made me the tank and I'm beginning to question if he jus sold me everything to make money as I added all the live rock wen the tank was started. Anyway I wanted to add a substrate, he advised me on sand with coral seeds in it. Cost R790. Amy idea? Your help will b much appreciated.

Hi Docsuliman, start a thread and post under beginners. Post a photo of your tank. And ask all the questions you want, great Guys and Girls that will help you step by step all the way including me if i can help. How long is your tank been cycling. Yes remember when you and your sand you start with your tank cycle. Your sump, and what you want to keep. For beginner, go for soft corals and zoas. Then also what fish you want to keep. You cant keep tigers with small fish. So you need to ask lots of questions. Before adding anything than water in your tank. Ro water. Test kit. :thumbup:

Thanks. I will do from now on. Got looots of questions. Will definately post pics.

Thank u. Was wondering if I was being ripped off. Thanks again.
I would say he wanted to rip you off.....depends on ones budget.You can buy playsand and it will still just as well.Or if you have the money go for aragonite which will look very nice and be more natural to an marine environment.

What about crushed coral for substrate. I used that and wasn't too expensive. Cant remember where I got it from.

Also Microblift Special Blend and Nite out II for cycling your tanks. Amazing stuff and will definitely help with the cycle.

So It is the aragonite sand. He also advised me on on reef pro sandhear of it? I have crushed coral already. For aesthetic purposes wanted to put sum sort of sand.

The crushed coral I have is quite fine, looks like sand. Just found the invoice I got when I bought it, just says Crushed Coral - fine 20kg and price was R230. Pretty good in comparison to Aragonite.

Think it looks quite cool.

IMG_00000197_zps7a3b592a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom