New member looking for help

Reaction score
Hi there guys.

I am a new memeber.:wave2:
I have dedided to join as I need some advice.
I want to throw out my DSTV and get a decent size marine tank. I will use the TV time to maintain the fish tank. I have not bought anything yet, but have visited a pet shop to get more info. I must just say that I have not even had a gold fish before, so this is going to be uncharted waters for me.

I have space of up to 2 meters, but I suspect that it will be a bit overwelming.

I have the following questions:
Please recommend a tank size and make? I want a good quality tank. I have seen tanks where you cannot see any silicone.
What do I need to get started and where can I buy it?
Does a marine tank smell? And if so, can I get rid of it?
How long will it take before I can add fish?
I would like to add coral as well.

I would like to have a professional setup that will hopefully have low maintenance in the long run and maximum enjoyment.

Can't wait to read what you recommend.

Thanks,
Hendrik

WELCOME HENDRIK!
This is the place to be, here everyone is friendly and helpfull you will enjoy it alot:thumbup: .
O.k lets start with how much would you like to spend for a complete setup without lifestock?(5000-10000) (10000-15000)

Just remember this is a expensive hobby, bad stuff happen quicly and good stuff takes long.(paciance is the name of this game)

Hendrik,

WELKOM by die forum :)

We will gladly help with advice, etc. but it would make it easier if we knew a bit more - such as where do you stay (town)? The reason for asking is that there could be a few members living close to you, and it would help if you actually saw their tanks. You could also join a reef club if you stayed in e.g. Durban, PE or Bloemfontein - in fact, I'm from Bloem, and we're having our monthly meeting this Sunday :)

To start with some of your questions:

Please recommend a tank size and make?

Ideal would be a 1.2m - 1.5m tank, with a sump tank below it.

Does a marine tank smell?

A well set up and mature tank has a slight smell, about the same as a fresh sea breeze. If you are curing your own live rock, it can stink about as much as a two-week old piece of "Rooi Aas", but that fortunately only lasts about 2-3 weeks.

How long will it take before I can add fish?

At least 3 weeks, but waiting 2-3 months would be much better.

I would like to add coral as well.

Then you should plan for it from the start. Fortunately, you are at the right place to learn :)

Hennie

Hi Hendrick

Welcome to MASA. Here you will get plenty of advice and help. Ask me I also only join about 2 months ago and Im still only designing. One word of advice dont just jump in take your time and learn,learn and learn, change and change until you happy. Also read the the threads there is plenty of advice. Im no expert but in the two months MASA members have helped me and taught me a hell of alot. So be patient and ask questions even If you think they are stupid. Welocme again

So be patient and ask questions even If you think they are stupid. Welocme again
Now who you calling stupid:lol: :lol: ....only joking we know what you mean.

Welcome Hendrik, plenty to learn please remember this hobby is a journey so sit back and enjoy the ride. The amount of pleasure you get out of your system one day is directly related to how much research you are prepared to put in. You have certainly started at the right place, please check out our wiki section there are some gr8 articles written there. Please ask questions, and check out the members set up threads to get plenty ideas, we also tend to speak a different language at times with KH, DSB's, Ca, LFS etc etc dont get intimidated by it, you will get the hang of it in no time.

Last edited:
Welcome Hendrik, you've come to the right place to learn, there are a lot of knowledgeable members on the forum, although if you check the sump you might not believe it.;)

Welcome to the forum Hendrik.

The guys here will steer you in the right direction. :thumbup:

Welcome to MASA Hendrik. With some carefull planning you should be able to have a nice start with 15k. Check out the for sale forum as sometimes you can get great buys.

Welcome Hendrik

If you are patient you could wait for a 2nd hand to be posted in the for-sale forum. There have been some fantastic deals. Normally your biggest initial expense is the engine room equipment- BIG skimmer, decent pumps, and lighting.

As the other members have already said take it slow, do a lot of investigation and always verify LFS (local pet shop) info, they can have some weird theories

Good Luck and enjoy the ride

WELCOME HENDRIK!

bad stuff happens quickly and good stuff slowly.

Hendrik,

could be a few members living close to you, and it would help if you actually saw their tanks.

Hennie

Hi Hendrick

Welcome to MASA. One word of advice dont just jump in. Take your time and learn,learn and learn, So be patient and ask questions even If you think they are stupid. Welocme again

Now who you calling stupid:rawrrrrr::)

this hobby is a journey so sit back and enjoy the ride.:auto::16::scooter::D The amount of pleasure you get out of your system one day is directly related to how much research you are prepared to put in.

Thank you everyone. You really make me feel welcome.
I am in Centurion.
I would spend up to R15k.

Thats a lot of money.

The physical glass walls making up your tank will strangely enough be the cheapest part of your new journey.

Welcome Hendrik

If you are patient you could wait for a 2nd hand to be posted in the for-sale forum. There have been some fantastic deals. Normally your biggest initial expense is the engine room equipment- BIG skimmer:D decent pumps,:D and lighting.:D

Summers really do seem to be getting hotter. imo use some of that loot to get a quality chiller.
Welcome to the forum, and a hobby that guarantees a crash course in plumbing, electrical know how, chemistry, physics and a whole bunch more. Agreed toss the dstv:)

Summers really do seem to be getting hotter. imo use some of that loot to get a quality chiller.
Welcome to the forum, and a hobby that guarantees a crash course in plumbing, electrical know how, chemistry, physics and a whole bunch more. Agreed toss the dstv:)

I second the chiller idea, although if your tank only gets set up in winter a chiller can wait.

Sunburst, you left out First Aid:41: :banghead:

Sunburst, you left out First Aid:41: :banghead:

Chuckle chuckle. How could i forget. Being Klapped a few times by 220volts has dulled my memory. As Douglas said;; Murphy will find you.
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams

Welcome Henrik :D

Welcome to MASA!

Welcome to the forum Hendrick, as you can see there is plenty of enthusiastic folk around to help you along, good luck with your tank, have a look in the members tanks section, it may give you some ideas to take forwards

A very Warm Welcome to MASA Hendrik! We have some members who is from Centurion. I am sure that they will identify themselves when they ready ;-) You can always talk to them.
Good luck with your venture - and remember - THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION! Rather ask, and make a knowledgeable decision, than making a wrong decission, because you have not had the information.

You are in luck - as we have JUST had a LFS join us, which is in Centurion. Look at Dorry's online web-site by clicking on the sponsor banners.

Please check with us often, and with every step you may want to take. That you are indeed informed and can make the correct decisions.

COOL MAN! Enjoy YOUR journey with YOUR tank - it's your's and your's alone. YOU will and can make of it what YOU want to! It's your own little living piece of art!

Back
Top Bottom