New Member - here come the questions

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Fishie, 23 Sep 2012.

1. Fishie

Fishie

Hi to all,

Finally took the plunge again after years and have a 350 L system setup, if anyone can help with this it would be great - I is confused :blush:

The system is very new, been cycling for almost 2 weeks and I have no ( 0 ) readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

I have a deep sand bed, sugar fine crushed coral sand about 2" deep and +- 28 kg of live rock - sump has a skimmer capable of 750 L max, deep sand bed and cheeto ( spelling ? )

I initially tested and go ammonia level of 0.02, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. A week later ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.

Not sure whats up with the Nitrogen Cycle here but would appreciate any answers.

Thanks Guys ! :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jayceew

Jayceew

If you are not testing any nitrite or nitrate your tanks is probably still cycling. The little "food" on the liverock is probably used up by now thus no ammonia readings. Perhaps add a pinch of fish food to the tank once a day to make sure you are feeding any living critters in the liverock.

Good idea would also be to start dosing with a good bacteria source like Special Blend and/or Stability. Tank will then stabilise in no time.

Don't add any livestock yet for another couple of weeks. The more time you give your tank now the less issues you will experience those first couple of months.

In another 2-4 weeks from now start by adding a small CUC(clean up crew) like hermit crabs, snails etc. Give it another couple of weeks after adding the CUC and then only start introducing fish very slowly.

I've tested elevated ammonia levels for up to 2 weeks after adding a new fish to my tank, so in my opinion waiting a week or two in between new fish additions is not enough, especially on a new tank.

You need to "seed" your DSB either with sand from another established DSB or you can put live rock on top of the DSB temporarily for a couple of weeks. Remove it again though or lift it from the DSB after a couple fo weeks with eggcrate or another structure as it will trap detritus on top of the dsb if left like this for too long.

Keep on asking questions, it's the right time to do this now, enjoy!

4. Fishie

Fishie Thread Starter

I've added a product which promotes beneficial bacteria, diatoms have been on the rock now for about 5 days - funny that you put lights on for aesthetic purposes and the diatoms thank you for that - lights are now off.

Would a diatom bloom indicate any specific part of a cycle ?

5. Zombie_CT

Zombie_CT

Welcome

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Have fun in here, read, research and don't be afraid to ask questions. I am with @Jayceew, give it time, seeding a DSB is great, but they also take a long time to mature.:)
    Test your water again in five-seven days and see what your NO2 will read, it might be higher by then.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey @Fishie ,, and masahello

Remember, that during the cycle you would like to build up your beneficial bacteria, but it is important to note, like @Jayceew mentioned, that your ammonia source was probably depleted quite quickly,,, especially since you are dosing bacteria...

you can always add the pinch of flakes to get the ammonia going again, so that you can get your spikes of nitrates and nitrites...
    or, you can also look into dosing something such as RedSeas' Reef Mature Pro Kit...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts