New member, frag swop question

Discussion in 'New Members' started by pom, 26 Sep 2012.

1. pom

pom

Hi there everyone, I am quite new here and only made one or two posts here but I found out now I cant post something in the for sale section because of this, what am i to do? I got some green zoas for my birthday and I want to swop a smaller piece for something else but I cant do it here, what am I to do?? :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Participate on the forum but dont just post for the sake of posting. Post chasing is frowned upon and could land you in trouble.

4. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

why not take it back to lfs sure it could be changed for something else

5. pom

pom Thread Starter

Nice one @mariusmeyer, accusing me of something that I only now heard of, "Post chasing", well thanks for being soooo helpful, I just hope everyone else is just as helpful as you! :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. NADEEM

NADEEM

dont think he is accusing you buddy, just a friendly warning i reckon.
    Welcome to the forum, i agree with Ayoob, maybe take it to lfs and ask them to swap, OR, hold onto it, and swap it with one of the reefers here at a later stage.
    Good luck, Enjoy

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Bud, don't be cross man, it's just the rules, we all had to go through the rules. Tells us a little about your tank, make some friends and then through time you'll see people will be only to glad to help. Besides not many people will swap some of their beloved corals to some one they don't really know.:)

Last edited: 27 Sep 2012
  8. Sammy

Sammy

It does seem a "wee" bit harsh to me, Welcome to the forum, Ayoob has a great idea, surely they will swap it for you, else gumtree might also be an option for you.

Feel free to ask questions this is a great place to learn and gain experience.

9. pom

pom Thread Starter

Thanks guys, these answers are more what I expected, was just a bit shocked by the response I got...lol.

My tank is a custom built one I built myself for a space one my tv stand. It's dimensions are 35w X 30l X 55h.

At the moment I have a pair of false percs, 1 royal dottyback, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 boxer shrimp, 1 hermit crab and a turbo snail.

[​IMG]

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Cute tank, and very nice Zoa rock, why don't you keep them, they will spread and grow beautifully, then you could frag them and sell the frags.
    Any water parameters, what filtration types are you using, how long has it been running?

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

WOW ok, so much for telling you how to gain access to the for sale section as this was your question. I did not accuse you of anything, just stating what you can do in order to gain access to the for sale section. So by answering you are taking it as a attack. Better get over that quickly.

To reword the post (which I dont see as necessary but anyway). To gain access to the for sale section you need more posts. But when you post in threads, dont just post single word responses in order to get you count up. This practice (not that you are doing it now) is known as post chasing and can land you up in trouble as it is frowned upon.

Is that a better explanation? If not, I give up.

12. Wes

Wes

@pom

Hey bud never mind the riff-raff of comments, some of us get it from all sides.

Best bet with regards to getting you post count up is to create a thread about your tank, detail it and you'll have the chance to reply to comments as well as learn how things work around a marine tank environment as well as this site.

It's generally a good introduction to the site as well as the members become more familiar with you.

13. Wes

Wes

this didn't come across proper in your first post :)

14. pom

pom Thread Starter

Haha thanks that sound better ;) .
    @carlosdeandrade, nope sorry no real parameters, I only got some test strips at the moment and everything seem fine according to it, I know I will have to invest in some proper testing equipment soon...on the filtration I only have a hob filter with some carbon in it, I must say when I first started the tank it was a brackish tank and I did water changes every week but now only once every two weeks, does the live rock help that much with the filtration? It has been running for 3 months now.

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Cool, if you can't afford any test kits, your local marine store will be able to do all necessary tests for you, not sure if you heard of @Dorrypets, @lanzo and his team will be of great help to you. Important to know what your water is doing, will help in making your "inmates" feel and look better and prevent any losses.

16. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

I honestly don't see any harm in what @mariusmeyer said....there was no accusation at all,just straight forward advice to what you needed to know and how to approach the issue that you are having in a safe and proper manner....so with @carlosdeandrade saying "if you can't afford any test kits" is he now implying that you are poor? I doubt that....it's all just simple straight to the point advice....I ain't no pro and also not attacking you in anyway,I just honestly feel that you should look at the posts at a different angle before feeling like you being attacked.....but with that out the way,welcome,nice tank! It's a really different and unique size and will be interesting to watch it flourish...all the best...

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I agree @yingyang, wording can convey or entice the incorrect emotional response from the reader, seen it here many times.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

sorry pom.
    Forum enforced rules. Must be member longer than 30 days, you joined a while back so that is OK.
    Plus post count of over 20.

This is to prevent spammers signing on and selling stuff. You will be amazed how many spammers are trying to do that. Thank goodness most gets blocked automatically but at times some do manage to actually post commercial stuff.

19. pom

pom Thread Starter

Ok cool, thanks everyone for their input much appreciated.

Yes what up with that @carlosdeandrade, you saying im poor? lol ;) , and yes I have been to Dorry's quite a few times and bought some stuff from them.

Ill get posting then.

20. NADEEM

NADEEM

lol

21. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum

its difficult to interperet tone of message sometimes but i know marius was only trying to be helpful.. (ps: the use of smileys assist in lighteing on better conveying a tone)

nice looking set up you got there the more you tell us about it the closer you will be to the number of posts needed.

what are your future additions you are going to be adding in terms of corals?

tell us more :)

Recent Posts