New member, expat in TX

Discussion in 'New Members' started by neogenix, 8 Sep 2010.

1. neogenix

neogenix

Hey Folks,

There I was browsing RC, and MAAST (my local MASA equivalent) and I came across a cross posting from here, and low and behold, marine folks in South Africa! I'm an Ex-Cape Town boy living in texas (for the last 2 years, and before that 18 months in london), and have recently-ish (last year or so) taken to marine aquariums... I'm actually in the process of putting up my second one.

My current tank is a (had to convert down from Gallons...) a 210L tub (brick, pretty much) with around 45KG of LR, and a selection of livestock... My new tank which is actually being built right now in the garage is a 500L custom aquarium. When we move to the next house, I'll probably go to the 750L+ range... It's just hard to get that into a rental house.

Here's the most recent pic I can find online, it's rather old though... like from day 1... I'll see if I can add some more in a few hours :)

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Welcome to the forum Neogenix. Do you not miss the good old SA sometimes??

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hey, welcome to Masa, give some details of your new system.
    How are prices of marines up there ?

5. neogenix

neogenix Thread Starter

ah, not all that much... plus, I married a local ;) Sometimes I do miss things like Mrs Balls, etc... But I just brought back a ton of that from the UK when I was there 2 weeks ago, so I should be good now.

I actually went with my wife to Atlanta for the weekend a few months ago (to see the worlds largest aquarium... with WHALE SHARKS IN A TANK!!!) and they have the world of coke pretty much throwing distance from the aquarium, inside they have taste booths for each coke country, or at least a large selection of them, and my wife really loved the South African ones (sparberry, stoney, etc...). I'll probably make my way down there in a few months or so :)

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  6. neogenix

neogenix Thread Starter

The new system is awaiting a choice in lighting, and otherwise I'm going to be running the 500L system with a 150L sump. It has an in (with space for floss, and a pair of socks, and my ReefOctopus skimmer) as well as a return section with a Sicce 5 pump, and then a fuge section running a DSB and some macro. I'm still trying to decide on the lighting to run over that. Then I'm going to run 3 reactors in serial (also trying to decide between using a T from the return pump, or adding another pump) each with a ball valve. One to run either Chemipure Elite, or Carbon, another to run GFO, and then the last to run Biopellets.

I have 3 dosing pumps at the moment that'll go in, one for ATO, one for Cal, and one for Alk, each of which are controlled by my ReefKeeper Elite, which will also control my temp, salinity, and all aspects of my system. I've got 4 Koralia Evolution 1400's that'll be going in on the ReefKeeper in wave maker mode, and then a plethora of float switches and a pair of auto feeders for the dry food. The water, cal, and alk solutions will be in containers that have float switches in them to notify me (with an email, and RSS alert) that they need to be refilled.

For lighting, I'm torn between running the AquaIlluminations LED kit, which should be around 1800 dollars (R13k+), or a 8x54W T5. If I do the AI LED's, I'll control those from my ReefKeeper Elite completely, and not from their control unit.

As for marine stuff, it's hard to tell really. I didn't even know that people did marine stuff in ZA before I left, so I never looked at the prices. Now I earn dollars, so it's not really that big a deal for me... although I do gawk when I look at the prices and convert them.

I'll be using mostly FHI coral (that's where most of my coral is from now) and then adding a pair of yellow eyed tangs to my current stock list :)

7. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Welcome to MASA.! Well, "Old" pic shows allot of potential. Please upload an updated version so we can see how it took shape!

You say a Whale Shark in a tank!! Wow, (Eendag as ek groot is... .)

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

welcome

9. neogenix

neogenix Thread Starter

Here's a video of the 2nd biggest one in Japan :

Thanks!! :) I'll see what I can do, although with me being out of the country for 6 weeks and my poor wife trying to battle the tank bits with nothing more than my paper notes i've got a bit of cleaning up to do, and some coral to revive... and it kinda looks a bit like a frag tank now too :p what with me waiting for my new tank to get setup before I glue anything down... I'll see what I can find though!

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  10. Anemone

Anemone

Welcome to MASA!

11. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcometomasa:bigthumbup:

12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to MASA

13. Evo R

Evo R

:welcometomasa2:

14. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

Welcome 2 MASA.

15. neogenix

neogenix Thread Starter

Thanks for all the welcomes!

16. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

17. neogenix

neogenix Thread Starter

Updated PIC :)

So it's certainly not the prettiest, but it's my first tank, and we're happy together ;) Took this a few hours ago, and that's a giant blue starfish i picked up earlier in the back center.

The tank:

[​IMG]

Another of the tank:

[​IMG]

My blue brain:

[​IMG]

My blue starfish :) (and some GSP):

[​IMG]

18. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

19. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Tank is looking good man.!:) I see you got plenty of live rock in there.

Recent Posts