new member-cape town( zero knowledge)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by maqslondon, 10 Jan 2015.

1. maqslondon

maqslondon

Hi all,
    Totally new to fish ,fish tanks,Aquaria etc.
    But little one adores the aquarium and fish so have decided to take plunge.
    Any advice would and will be greatly appreciated as I'm not at all clued up on the topic.
    I guess I'm looking to start off with a smallish tank..seen few boyu models at various shops so thought I would go with one of those as they seem fairly foolproof to start with.
    Or are there other recommendations??
    Thanks all and hi from myself and my two yr old daughter!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brendan6

Brendan6

Welcome to masa

:welcometomasa2:

Well as a complete noob, you have many hours ahead of you reading. Everything you need to know is in this forum, do some browsing, ask some questions, do more reading and have fun!

Something else you should look into is trying to meet a few reefers and see what you are getting into first hand, pictures are nice and all but actually seeing a thriving tank, next level awesome!

There is a lot for you to learn but start off by reading about the nitrate cycle. Importance of Lighting, Flow and What a Protein Skimmer is!

Ask them questions bud :m106:

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Check the for sale section. Starting off with an older secondhand system can be better, as it allows you to start of larger than a brand new tank. Allowing you just that little bit bigger skimmer or other equipment.

There is a lot to learn with marines. Before over expending your wallet, its better to learn the basics and to realize what you want out of your marine section.

5. Clowning

Clowning

Welcome to MASA. Where about in CPT are you? Maybe you can link up with a few members and see our systems before you start your own. Research is very important so do lots of it but seeing us believing. Have fun:)

Recent Posts