New Member "baaienaar"

baaienaar

Copepod
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm setting up an MJ Baolai display tank in my family room, measuring 2m(L) x 0,6(W) x 0,87(H) with an undertank-mounted compartmented multi-weir sump system measuring 1,9(L) x 0,4(W) x 0,5(H) which houses a protein skimmer, 20 kgs of smaller live rock, a 20 kg DSB, and finally, a sump return pump. In-tank water streaming is generated via 2 x Tunze streams plus 2 x smaller powerheads and 1 x wave maker which, I hope, will create sufficient surge. Filtration is completed with 60 kgs of live rock on a 5cm fine sandbed inside the tank.

I'll look at carbon and/or phosphate reactors, ozone and an RO unit, etc based on the performance of the system during "breaking in", as I'm only looking at housing some soft corals, LPS and fish. It has always been a dream of mine to own a tank with a healthy Sun Coral in it, so I'll do what I have to to accomplish this.

I plan to take it very slow and be as patient as can be. Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I will also be in the market for some healthy stock to be sourced locally in the greater Gauteng area, so let me know if you have stock available.

Regards

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome. talk to Tom, he did very well with a sun coral, hard work though.

ex-baaienaar

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
WELKOM by MASA

I'm setting up an MJ Baolai display tank in my family room, measuring 2m(L) x 0,6(W) x 0,87(H) with an undertank-mounted compartmented multi-weir sump system measuring 1,9(L) x 0,4(W) x 0,5(H) which houses a protein skimmer, 20 kgs of smaller live rock, a 20 kg DSB, and finally, a sump return pump. In-tank water streaming is generated via 2 x Tunze streams plus 2 x smaller powerheads and 1 x wave maker which, I hope, will create sufficient surge. Filtration is completed with 60 kgs of live rock on a 5cm fine sandbed inside the tank.
Sounds like a great system you're setting up there :thumbup: Might need a bit more live rock, though...

I'll look at carbon and/or phosphate reactors, ozone and an RO unit, etc based on the performance of the system during "breaking in", as I'm only looking at housing some soft corals, LPS and fish.
Agreed with Singularity - you should make use of an RO filter from the start. Include it it in your planning from the start, and add an auto topup while you're at it.

You don't say anything about lights - what lights are you going to use - on such a deep tank I would recommend that you go for metal halides (MH's), supplemented with some T5's in 10 000K and Actinic.

I plan to take it very slow and be as patient as can be
That's the only way to long-term success :1:

Best of luck.

Hennie

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
welcometomasa

welcome baaienaar! sounds like an awesome tank you're setting up, where in pretoria are you?

cheers
ant
:)

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA!
Please post pictures of your setup, sounds like you're off to a good start. Just a Q: You said you still want to get a RO unit, so did you get RO water from a LFS or friend or did you use tap water?

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
I following was sent to my PM, but I think baaienaar actually meant to post it on this thread...

Hi guys,
The skimmer is a Macro Aqua running off a 2000 liter per hour pump, and the lighting is via 3 x 1,2 m and 3 x 0,6 m 28 W K10000 Aquawhite fluorescentsmounted overhead, but I'm changing two of the 1,2 and 1 x 0,6 tubes to Actinic.

Unfortunately, the canopy is only about 200 mm high so mounting MH's will be problematic, unless I leave the canopy off and suspend the lighting from the ceiling, and I'm not to sure Mommy's gonna be too keen on that for now, seeing as the tank is in our family room.

For starters I guess I'll just have to do my homework on the light requirements of the stock I put in. Fortunately the sun coral I'm pining for won't be wanting more than I've got, so that's half the battle won.

Believe me, I've learnt the hard (AND EXPENSIVE) way already. I bought the entire tank setup new for 26,5K from what I believed to be a reputable petshop in the East of Pretoria. It was a slightly impulsive and yes stupid thing to do, because they must've seen me coming a mile away, and consequently I ended up with salted tapwater, very coarse gravel and a completely inadequate filtration system, so another 22,5 K later I'm now replacing the sandbed, water, etc. and using finer sand, matured seawater, and live rock and a sandbed for filtration in the undertank sump as well, plus I've beefed up the pumps, powerheads, etc substancially. Moolis @ Pet Stop, whom I met via this website, has been very helpful.

Thanks again for your interest,
Regards

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
so another 22,5 K later
Could I suggest that you post your plans, etc. here on MASA for comment BEFORE you buy any more equipment - be will often be able to recommend better/cheaper alternatives (such as using cheap play sand instead of paying R1000's for aragonite...) which will work just as well, without making the petshops rich...

Hennie

Moolis Moolman

Regal Tang
Reaction score
HI

HI

Hope the new water is in and the tank is up and running when you read this.:p

YES keeping it slow and reading a lot will ensure that those SUN's would thrive:thumbup:

MOOLIS

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
26,5K + 22,5K
eina bl!ksem nou voel ek nie so bad oor my uitgawes sover nie :)

let us know before you buy any more, we'll save you loads of $$$

baaienaar

Copepod
Reaction score
eina bl!ksem nou voel ek nie so bad oor my uitgawes sover nie :)

let us know before you buy any more, we'll save you loads of $$$
Hi,
Dankie man- soos ek vroeer aangedui het, ek was onbewus van julle toe ek aanvanklik gekoop het en Moolis hulle by Pet Stop is great. Teen 70 sent 'n liter koop ek eerder my 'top-up' water by hulle totdat my tenk gestabiliseer is en ek seker is van ander dinge soos addisionele beligtingsbehoeftes ens. Dan gooi ek my huidige 'canopy' af en bou 'n tenk-tot-plafon een wat 2 x 400 W MH's en RO en Ozone voorsiening kan huisves. Ek sit nou klaar 'n fosfaat reaktor en addisionele Uv filter in, so dan dink ek ek sal 'sorted' wees.:thumbup:

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
sounds great!

we should keep it english, just now we get banned :lol:

i'm the last to comment on this but the guys with lots of years experience will tell you to keep it as simple and natural as possible, less things that can go wrong, i.e. rather just have a DSB (deep sand bed, preferably in-sump combined with a refugium) and/or an ATS (algae turf scrubber) than fancy nitrate reactor etc.

but i think you have most of the important bases covered, i think Anthony Calfo (experts please chip in here thanks :)) once said that the order of importance for a successful reef is:
- feed your corals
- have adequate flow
- skim heavily
- have adequate lighting

baaienaar

Copepod
Reaction score
Keeping it English

Sorry guys,
I am new, and a Dutchman, which I suppose should qualify for forgiveness on the back of a sincere apology. It won't happen again.:p