New Member and Tank relocation Help

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ShadowDemon, 11 May 2010.

1. ShadowDemon

ShadowDemon

Hi to all the MASA members. Though I have been following the posts on this website for more than a year (And its really helped me many times in starting off with marines) It’s good to finally be part of the community.

Before I ask for some help, I just want to give you a bit of my history and info on my setup and how I got started on marines.

I currently have 100L (No name brand) all in one Nano setup, which was given to me by one of my good mates about a year and a half ago when I started getting interested in the marine aquarium hobby.
    It took me awhile to get the tank running as I had to repair cracks and leaks. I had to start the tank over 4 times because of annoying leaks.

Ever since then I have done masses amount of research, read many forum posts and I have successfully been running my 100l setup for more than a year now.

I currently have the following livestock in the tank;

2 x Red legged Hermit crab
    1 X Blue legged Hermit crab
    1 X Turbo Snail
    2 X Clown fish
    1 X Fire Goby (Fire fish)
    1 X Six Line wrasse
    1 X Bi-colour Blenny
    1 X African flame back Angel (Jumping Bean I have heard some call it)
    1 X Torch Coral (Clowns currently hosting in it)
    1 X Hammer Coral
    Various types of mushrooms, polyps and tube worms

I know it seems like a lot of livestock for such a small tank, but all the fish are small in size and I do a 25% water change on weekly basis and I also do regular testing of all my water parameters.

The problem I face now has me a bit nervous.
    The 1st of July i will be moving to a new house and need to move my current setup.
    Because of this and the fact that I have had many leak problems with my current tank I have purchased a new 250l tank.

I need to know what the quickest and best method would be to get the new tank up and running and move all my livestock from my old tank to the new one.
    I only have 2 days to do this in and cycling the new tank for 4 weeks is not an option.

The current steps that I am thinking of taking is as follows.

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Transferring the majority of sand and water from the old tank to the new one.
    2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Transferring the majority of the ceramic rings from the old tank to the new one.
    3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Transferring all my live rock to the new tank
    4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Lastly Transfer all livestock to the new tank.

Could this work? I really don’t have time to cycle the new tank for 4 weeks, as I have 2 days to move my equipments and there is a 90% change that the old tank will leak again once moved.
    I also cant keep the old tank up and running while the new tank is being cycled.

Let me know your thoughts

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Howsit welcome.

I've heard of people moving tanks before. But i dont agree with it. Too much can go wrong and there's always a change.

I see you going bigger. Things will change with this.

Would you explain your new setup to us compared to your old setup.

I saw ceramic rings... and ive always been told to steer away.

Where abouts are you moving to? I see you randburg. I'm pretty close if you need help but first let us know a little more before we can give advise.

How much Live Rock do you have? Just remember you will probably need more for your new setup. Also are you going with a DSB? I would suggest it.

4. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

5. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!:thumbup: i will also be moving all my live rock,sand and livestock over into my new tank soonish.
    i will start a thread on moving everything over to a new system.;) should get some good advice.

6. ShadowDemon

ShadowDemon Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

My old tank as I mentioned is a 100L nano tank. Some strange overseas brand that is very difficult to find on the net.
    The tank has its “sump” if you want to call it that built into the back part of the tank.
    This back part contains the Skimmer, Ceramic rings, sponge and return pump.
    The tanks has about 15KG of live rock in it.

The new tank is a custom built 250 litre tank.
    The sump would be located in the bottom of the cabinet.
    I have purchased the return pump for the new tank, as well as a Reeftek TS1 skimmer and all the other bits an bobs.

I have also heard many times over that ceramic rings is not the way to go, but my current setup is running them and I have been very successful.
    The only reason I would carry on using them, would just be to get the new tank up and running quicker as they would already contain all the necessary bacteria and so on.

Unfortunately the way the new tanks sump is designed, I would not be able to use a deep sand bed. I could however replace the ceramic rings in the sump with live rock. Don’t know how good this would be.
    I just thought that if I moved the over my sand, rings and water from my old tank then at least half of the new tanks sand, live rock and water would be coming from a settled tank which means the new tank would require less time to cycle.

Like I said I’m open to suggestions but I’m also pressed for time when moving my setup. I could just move the old setup, try and get that back up and running and have the new tank start cycling, but my concern is that the old tank starts leaking when I move it and then I have a problem with my livestock.
    What do other people do when moving tanks?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Only 100L, that you can do easily.

It is a tank move with a 60-70% water change. Big deal.

What you can do, for next couple of weeks keep the water from your water change. you got about 7 water changes up to that time. So you could easily have 175L extra. Keep that in a container, with a heater and a powerhead to keep it moving. Just get a big enough container. Keep it the same temp as your small tank.

When you do the move, put 50% water from display and 50% from stored water into a big cooler box. Put your liverock in there. Small powerhead. And ensure rock is stable, and add your fish. Close the lid but keep it slighty open, so that it is dark and the fish do not stress. And with the rock, they stress less anyway.

Just do not keep the live rock out the water. Lift and shift. Yes there are guys that will say that the organisms in the rock will die. Yes but the number that will die because of 5 seconds - what the hell. If really bothered by that, use a 5L icecream tub. Put it in the tank, put the rock inside, lift tub out to the cooler, submerge it, and take the rock out.

Other side, use as much water from your old display, toped up with stored water. And last bit newly salt water to make up the last 20%.

Use the old ceramic rings in your sump for first month or 2.

Only thing, not to forget, have enough 20L containers on the day of the move to hold at least 200L water. You cannot move the big container with 175L unless you are a Strongman competitor. Also easier to pump water from tank or container to the drums.

Tobes likes this.
  8. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome :) pics please :thumbup:

9. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Good advice from Riaan, it shouldn't be too difficult if planned properly. Also, if you need more advice just google "how to move a marine tank" - you will get a lot of links and info ;)

11. ShadowDemon

Thanks for the info RiaanP

Good to see that I have some options.
    As soon as my new tank arrives, I will start posting some pics.
    Alternatively, I will post some pics of my current setup a bit later on.

A bit off topic. I need to mount my t5's and ballasts into the hood of my new tank. Is it recommended to purchase reflectors to mount with the t5's. If so, were can I purchase reflectors or what can I use to make reflectors.

12. Sentari

Sentari

Riaan has given you the best advise.

The metal for the reflectors is called. Alanoid. Cant remember the correct spelling. Riaan should know.

I might be able to help you with a home for some of your stuff for a little bit.

I'm just waiting for my brother to move his stuff back to his tank. Let me know if you need help in the meanwhile.

13. ShadowDemon

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the offer Sentari. I might just take you up on it if the need arrives.

I live in Northwold Randburg and moving 5 min up the road to Randpark Ridge. So, it’s not that big a move......but the Tank is my biggest concern.

I have just been searching google for info on moving marine tanks and found one or two very good articles. These articles basically say the same things that RiaanP advised. (Thanks again for the good advise).[/FONT]

14. ShadowDemon

One more question.

RiaanP, you said that I should use the rings for the first 2 months after the move. What and how should I replace the rings with?
    Like I mentioned. I wouldnt be able to use a DSB in my sump, but would be able to use Live Rock.

15. robertkukla

robertkukla

Welcome to MASA

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Pleasure.

and it is Alanod. Just do a google search on MASA. There is a company in Jo-burg selling it.

One thing I forgot, or two (related)
    Keep heaters in the cooler box. But take them and the powerhead out while you drive to new place. And close the cooler box properly. On the other side, put it back as quick as possible inside the cooler box.

Also ensure the water in new tank is same temp. Put heaters when 50% full. If display is too cold, just add all the heaters to it while you sort out your other electrical stuff, just check that you do not make the display warmer than the cooler box. Thereafter the best is to put the LR into the tank but all fish into plastic bags and acclimatize them for 30 minutes as if you just bought them. You will be amazed how different the water in the different containers cools down.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes Live rock should work. But you will also have some detritus settlement around, like what the ceramic rings do. But less. It is more open with more flow.

When you replace the rings, you cannot take them all out in one go. Nope, then you remove all your filter capabilities in one go. Take out a bit each week while LR gets seeded with live.

Would like to see a pic of the sump. Maybe you can make a change or two before setting it up.

18. ShadowDemon

Ill have to go plastic bag and container shopping. (I hate shopping)

A couple of questions about the sand;

1. Can I use the sand from my old tank?
    2. Should the sand be cleaned or can it be added in as is.
    3. There wont be enough sand in my old tank for the new tank, can I mix some new sand with the old sand?
    4. When is the ideal time to put the sand in the new tank?
    5. Just checking, but when transporting the sand should the sand be kept wet?

19. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi and welcome to MASA

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

When you empty your old tank, syphon the sand into first two containers. Transport it like that. At other side, empty these two first into the new display. Give it 30minutes to settle. In that time, you can add heaters, other electrical setups etc.

When I done my big move, also from smaller to bigger tank, I used my old display sand, and added my old DSB. The display sand I used as is. The DSB I washed it clean first, rinsed in RO water and then I used it. But a lot of stuff survived that treatment (or did not washed out) and I got a lot of bubbles forming inside the sand thereafter. Even now 6 weeks later.

21. mnd123

mnd123

welcome mate, howd the move go - some great advice from Riaan above

Recent Posts