New member, Alan

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ALANVR, 25 Feb 2008.

1. ALANVR

ALANVR

I have been keeping freshwater tanks for many years now with a special interest in discus. I am now building a new house and want to add a marine tank as a room divider which will be viewed from both sides. This will be in 8 months time so for now I am doing my homework and looking for advise on the best setup for me. As this is my first venture into marine tanks I want to start with a system that I can expand on as I gain experience.

The tank will be 2m long by 1m wide. I have been advised to limit the water depth to 800mm so that 12mm glass can be used as thicker glass will distort the viewing of the contents.

If anyone has a similar sized tank I'd appreciate some advise before I proceed further with equipment, etc.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi Alan, i have moved you to start your own thread, welcome to MASA, hopefully Kanga will be along with his sketch-up techniques to help you on your way.:)

4. DragonReef

DragonReef

Welcome Alan :D

2M x 1M x 0.8M is a great size :thumbup:

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome, you have come to the right place to get that Reef tank going.

Agree with DR 2M x 1M x 0.8M is a great size :thumbup1::thumbup1:

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Alan! AWESOME tank size man! Ok - here are some caveat emptors to look at with your proposed setup:
    - You will need to keep all your filtering equipment, at the bottom of the tank, most likely, and you will MOST likely then look at an in-sump skimmer.
    - IF you can, I would want to suggest getting a 2 metre sump tank built as well - with a really decent sized Deep Sand Bed filtration system
    - Also - I would suggest for your tank to go for a Closed Loop water movement system (one or two pumps with water in-take IN the tank, and multiple water outlets back into the tank again - not going anywhere else but just sucking water from the tank, and taking the water back into the tank again)
    - Lighting - perhaps look at what you want to keep - 800mm deep is quite deep, and the minimum lighting for 800mm would most likely be either quite a few 54/80watt T5's (perhaps around 12 or 16 T5's) or 3 x 250 watt metal halides, with about 4x actinic T5's (blue)

This tank's going to be AWESOME - I am following this thread with great interest! Cheers!

7. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Warm Welcome Alan!! You have come to the right place. We love helping guys getting started in the hobby!

Quick quation: Will you be having a filtration room? Most built-in-wall aquariums have a little room to house skimmers, reactors and sumps as it is convenient and you will have a lot more room for additions and changes in the future.

I love the fact that you want to go 1M wide. I'm a great believer in breadth. It adds a new dimension to an aquarium (even thought I've mostly only had nanos :( )

Ask as many questions as you like and remember that no questions is too stupid :thumbup:

Cheers and Good Luck

8. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Whoa, 2 x 1 x .8 :D:D Very nice there

Thats 1500L water i the display, I would also suggest that for the sump you have 2 units of 1m(L) x 0.7 (W) x 0.4 (H) The reason being you can use thinner glass for this (Cheaper than a 2 m sump) the 30cm on the side will give you place some equipment and its going to be easier to handle.

Lighting

Your choice will be T5's (54W overlapping in the middle) possibly 12-16 of them as jacques mentioned, or 4 x 150W/250W (depending on what you plan on keeping)

Filtration

Skimmer, possible something like a Reeftek TS4 (Or 2 x TS3)/ AM blue 3000, or if budget isnt a problem go with BubbleMaster :D
    Have a look at some skimmers available in SA Protein Skimmers - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

DSB (Deep Sand Bed),
    Deep Sand Bed - Marine Aquariums of South Africa - wiki
    DSB vs Bio Balls - Marine Aquariums of South Africa - wiki
    DSB-H. Landman - Marine Aquariums of South Africa - wiki

This can be placed in the second sump and is certainly the modern way of doing and the mostly widely employed and most successful method.

Live Rock, will also assist in flitration and denitrification as well as be a place to mount coral, fish can hide etc (yes we do have pet rocks in this hobby:biggrin:)

Flow

In a marine tank you will need random, chaotic flow, the amount is dependent on the type of livestock you intend keepind (anything from 15x to 60x + p/hour)

Type of tank

Ok you can have FOWLR (Fish only with live rock)

Or full blown Reef with either soft corals, LPS or SPS corals all very beautiful and each with its own requirements

I would suggest have a look at the members set ups forum to get an idea of what you like

Good luck and masahello

viper357 likes this.
  9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome Alan!excellent length and width(espescially)

10. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome Alan ,your in the right place. should be very nice when done. Happy posting.

11. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

:welcometomasa1:

Recent Posts