New Mated Pair

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a question that I would like to ask you guys as I am quite new to the Clownfish breeding community.

I bought a mated pair of Occelaris(spell check) clowns. The guy who I bought them from said that they were laying eggs every full moon.

Its still early days in my new breeding tank that I have set up. I decided to seperate them from my display tank as I thought they would be more comfortable like that.

I have put a Clay pot, Live rock, tile and ceramic pot in the tank so that they have lots of places to lay eggs etc.

I feed them a mixture of frozen foods and pellets(other suggestions would be great)

My question is, how long should I expect to wait before my new clown start laying eggs.

Is there anything else I can try to get them to lay eggs?

Thanks guys, Your help is always appreciated.

Lance

Light 10 hours
Water temperature 28 degrees
Spell check: OCELLARIS;)
Feeding three times per day
They should spawn twice per month. Usually five days after the last hatch they should spawn again.
They spawn in the afternoon and if they spawn on a Monday, they will hatch the following Monday night (8 days by 28 degrees).
They could spawn within the next few weeks or next few months. Who knows. Dealing with nature is sometimes a bit unpredictable.

They could spawn within the next few weeks or next few months. Who knows. Dealing with nature is sometimes a bit unpredictable.
Yip, when a regular mating pair are moved to a whole new environment they may take a few months before they start laying again, I moved my pair of Percs from an 8ft tank to a nano and they took a good 4 or 5 months before they started laying again. :(

Light should be switched via timer. Tank can be empty with just a pot in it.
Moon light is not needed. I don't know where the fullmoon story is coming from.
You bought a breeding pair from the LFS. Then it must be a pair that they have traded in. How do they know that the pair was breeding before? They were told so? To raise the price?

There must be some kind of delay on the system here because I haven't seen all these replies to my thread.

Oh well, Thank you guys for the replies!

I know what you thinking, the LFS is just trying to make a quick buck. I know the guys there and they had told me before about the clowns when i was in there for something else. I am very confident they wouldnt rip me off.

The fish have been together since they were very small. I actually cant believe how much they stick together. They have grown up in one of the LFS display tanks.

@Ghaydeen. I got them from a petstore in Hillcrest. If you want, I can see if I can find another pair if you are interested. I have come across a couple recently.

I will have to keep you guys updated on this and hopefully in the next few months I will be successful.

Any idea's for Rotifers in DBN?

Thanks,
Lance

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be some kind of delay on the system here because I haven't seen all these replies to my thread.

Oh well, Thank you guys for the replies!

I know what you thinking, the LFS is just trying to make a quick buck. I know the guys there and they had told me before about the clowns when i was in there for something else. I am very confident they wouldnt rip me off.

The fish have been together since they were very small. I actually cant believe how much they stick together. They have grown up in one of the LFS display tanks.

@Ghaydeen. I got them from a petstore in Hillcrest. If you want, I can see if I can find another pair if you are interested. I have come across a couple recently.

I will have to keep you guys updated on this and hopefully in the next few months I will be successful.

Any idea's for Rotifers in DBN?

Thanks,
Lance
You could try The Waterboy - Marco
Phytoplankton - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

@belindamotion unfortunately live cultures grown and sold in this country require a permit. Anyone caught doing so with out a permit, stands the same issues as @LuckyFish.
So at this point in time, as far as i am aware, no permits have been issued for local aquaculture of cultures for the marine ornamental trade.

So it is a DIY thing at the moment or buy a product in a bottle.

Last edited:
@belindamotion unfortunately live cultures grown and sold in this country require a permit. Anyone caught doing so with out a permit, stands the same issues as @LuckyFish.
So at this point in time, as far as i am aware, no permits have been issued for local aquaculture of cultures for the marine ornamental trade.

So it is a DIY thing at the moment or buy a product in a bottle.

Keith, you brought something now to my attention, where I think it could cause trouble. Any alive food, phytoplankton or zooplankton, which will be officially sold has to enter the country with a permit. Anything else, locally cultured without a permit and then sold can end with the same charges that I was charged with.

Thanks "b" :)
:blush::blush::p...out of interest...would we be able to bring the "bottled version" into SA without any "hold-ups" at Customs...? Seeing as SA requires Permits and all...would that not be a "problem", seeing that it's Imported...? Or is it a problem..hence no-one in SA stocks the Bottled Version...:(

@B Are you telling us here that you did that much research to be able to say, no-one???
Do you know who stocks them..? I've been searching but can't find..our "online stores" in SA haven't shown me any Imported Bottled Versions..:(..besides Durban is not really in the same League as CT and JHB Stores...IMHO..:blush:

:blush::blush::p...out of interest...would we be able to bring the "bottled version" into SA without any "hold-ups" at Customs...? Seeing as SA requires Permits and all...would that not be a "problem", seeing that it's Imported...? Or is it a problem..hence no-one in SA stocks the Bottled Version...:(

Live cultures require the same permits as corals and fish and are under the same conditions.

Dead, frozen, dried etcetera quire other permits and health restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom