new marine setup

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by deon4squares, 12 Aug 2013.

1. deon4squares

deon4squares

Hi

i cylindric tank that is 800 x 700 high,
    i have my tank running for about a month now, i just found 2 of my fish dead yesterday,
    dont know if my skimmer is too small or the power head is not circulating, the PH and salt is okay.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Welcome to MASA..:thumbup:..sorry to hear about the Fishy's..:(...can you tell us about all the equipment you currently have on you'r Tank and also can you give a run-down of you'r water parameters..ALK, PH, MAG, CAL..etc..lets see if we can sort out you'r problem...:blush:..list of livestock also would benefit in getting an overall picture of you'r set-up and tank mates...did you "speed up" you'r "cycle"..? Did you have you'r water tested before adding stock...?

4. 519franco

519franco

Your cycle is killing your fish

5. Diveshan

Diveshan

Yeah I would assume the tank is still in the cycle period and its likely ammonia in the water that it killing your fish if its only running for a month

6. Nemo321

Nemo321

let your tank cycle with 2 clown fish, that's what I done

7. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Not the healthiest advice for the clown fish.

Do remember, that when you cycle your tank, ammonia levels can peak quite high, and fish gills do get burnt by those levels. This is not very pleasant for the fish. Even if you do not see any outward signs, (red gills etc.) It does not mean that the fish is not suffering, even if they do make it through the cycling period.

For the sake of your tank-mates, it is never a good idea to use any live stock for your tank cycling.
    If you want to speed it up, rather use one of the chemicals that your LFS stock.

8. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I agree with @Gesiggie, Never let your tank cycle with any form of livestock. Rather use one of the many bacterial supplements out there at most of the sponsors . These supplements will do a much better job and you will not harm or kill any of your livestock.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts