Urgent help needed New Mandarin not active nor eating

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Papitto, 29 Nov 2014.

1. Papitto

Papitto

Hi,
    Bought a green mandarin and ruby red dragonet Thursday. Been visiting my fav lfs for months and had my eye on this green mandarin. In the lfs tank, he was actively hovering all over their tanks hunting.
    Brought them home and drip acclimated for an hour. Put them in And they both were familiarising themselves with the tank. Then last night I noticed the mandarin was not active. Sits on the sand for a while and moves after a while. He isn't eating like the ruby red that's all over the LR picking at pods. I watched 5 pods in front of the mandarin but not getting eaten like the ruby does... he just lays breathing and not phased by target feeding live brine, frozen brine and frozen cyclops! He just blows it away.q
    Checked my parameters twice already and they great
    N04- 0
    N02- 0
    N03- 0
    P04- 0.03
    SG- 1.025
    Ph- 7.7
    Ca- 460+
    Mg2- 1260
    Kh- 11.4
    Temp- 25.3 to 26.2

Livestock
    Pair of Occelaris
    3 juvie blue green chromis
    Ruby red dragonet
    And him!

Please advise what could be the issue with him... would really appreciate it.
    3ft sump with DSB and rugby ball of cheato. Also running np pellet reactor and bag of Seachem matrix

IMG_20141129_180239.jpg

IMG_20141129_180654.jpg

IMG_20141129_180323.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

That is not a good sign :(
    How is the ruby treating him (any aggression between them) etc?
    Is it possible to isolate him in a sump or another tank and see if he picks up?

4. Papitto

Papitto Thread Starter

They take no note of each other. I got them.from the same tank.at the lfs.
    Will try putting him in a isolation tank I built today for him. Has a overflow so small pump to pump from return in isolation tank and back into return area.

Could it be any chemistry in my system maybe? Should I add activated carbon in case my corals are excreting toxins he isn't use to?

5. Dolphin

Dolphin

@Papitto I wouldn't advise moving him unless you are sure that he is being harassed by any of the other fish. Moving him is only going to further stress him. If you are really sure that you need to move him then I suggest that you use a jug or large cup and gently get him to swim into it, don't chase him with a net and preferably don't use a net to move him. Ensure the water is the same parameters as the main DT . What corals are in the system? I noticed that the pH is low and the CA is a bit high. He's still new to the tank, let him settle in.

Just noticed the fish has frayed fins and is a bit thin. Good advice there to use garlic /entice to encourage him to eat. He needs to feed on the pods.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I don't think coral toxins may be affecting him. Looking at the pics it looks like he is not in the best of shape, you will most likely see an outline running through his side if you look at the side of him (indicates starvation). The stress from the change of tanks most likely added to his condition.

I hope he pulls through but when a fish stops eating it is never a good sign. You can try adding seachem's entice to the live brine to try and stimulate his appetite. Is the live brine the adult version or the newly hatched ones?

7. Zandy

Zandy

unfortunately.. with the mandarin already looking thin.. I doubt that it would have enough reserves to sustain himself without starting to eat. perhaps try feeding him cyclops eeze....good luck and hope the mandarin survives.

8. Papitto

Papitto Thread Starter

Update today... I used Seachem entice with brine n cyclops mixed. added a bag of activated carbon last night in my sump return as well.
    He didn't anything from target feeding, BUT he seems more active today. Swimming over the rock work and back pane. He does a weird darting move though, but I don't see any ws on him.

I guess patience is needed. Will keep trying to target feed him only small amounts of cyclops

9. Papitto

Papitto Thread Starter

So... I lost the mandarin 3 days ago. Think he was on his way out when I got him... Sucks...

10. NO3

NO3

You should try not keep two together, they compete for food and normally there is not enough for both of them.

How bi is the tank? looks fairly new?

11. Aqeel

Aqeel

i am having the same problem

12. rigby

rigby

try feeding blood worms make a great looking food most fish go nuts for them and also how i got my copperband to start feeding on frozen

13. Reaper

Reaper

Sorry to hear about the manderin that died. I want one so much also but my tank is way too new still.

I enticed my mandarin in my previous tank to eat frozens by switching off all the circulation pumps in the dt. So the food would go sit on the bottom, the mannie took about 2 days to start pecking at them. Then when he was done, I switched on the pumps again, which kicked up the left over food. Fed him twice daily like this.

Recent Posts