New Malawi Fish Tank Setup

Discussion in 'Fresh Water Tanks Discussion' started by craig isaacs, 20 Jun 2014.

1. craig isaacs

craig isaacs

Hi Guys

Im very New to this game so here I go!

Im just purchased a Tank, a Boyu TL550 120 LITRE Marine Tank , he has a Protein Skeemer as well .

I would like to start putting in some Fish , only Malawi Fish for Now.

Can anybody please advise me on the steps to follow , from Start, like water add and what equipment to buy to make sure the water level is correct before I put in the fish etc etc

please let me know , Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Not many guys on here that deal with fresh water fish. Why not try our sister sight Tropical Aquariums South Africa I am sure you will get better help there.

4. Trevs

Trevs

Plus you won't need a protein skimmer!

5. Fred d

Fred d

Malawi's like a ph of around 8 , temp of 26 - 28 and lots of spirulina foods ...
    just be careful with overstocking as territory and aggression can become an issue in a hurry , specially in a tiny tank like a tl 550 .

If I may ask , do you have a marine setup ...
    why do you wanna put these creatures into a tl550 ...

6. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

Malawis grow quick and might outgrow your tl550 very quick.

7. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

The tl550 is an easy plug and play for Marines. Try some easy saltwater fish perhaps. Clowns. Damsels etc

8. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

I wouldn't even bother going cichlids as even your demazoni's which stay small needs to be in a group of 20+ to eliminate out aggression. You will not fit 20+ in a tl550

9. 4age

4age

Tank way too small for malawis

10. Snoek

Snoek

What malawis love in a TL550 is about 10kg of live rock and for some reason they just love water with a salt content. It would be best to use a refractomitor and make sure it has a Sg of 1.025. At this stage you can plug the skimmer in and leave the tank for a month for the bacteria to build in your system and during this stage your tank will cycle. After 30 day you can go to a lfs and ask them for 2 clowns to start your newly setup tank. Good luck bud

11. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Hehehe

12. craig isaacs

craig isaacs Thread Starter

Hi There

Marine is very expensive so I think this is why and the fact that I have no clue on how to start setting up a Marine Tank , is there anybody that you guys know of how to go about like somebody that Can come out and I will pay for the setup?

13. 4age

4age

Either way I really would not put malawis in a boyu...way too small

14. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Why pay someone if you can ask here?
    The guys are more than helpful. You already have an awesome beginners tank. Only add, substrate, liverocks and water.

With cichlids you are anyway not going to be able to put plants as they rip them out. So you might as well start with a FOWLR tank.

Get yourself a nice CUC and clown pair, i would suggest occelaris clowns as they are cheap and easy to keep. You could add nice shrimps.

As with any marine, whether its tropical, brackish or marine, it takes time, you learn as you go along. You already have a nice tank and with a few mods you can have a beyond awesome tank.

On this forum there is a whole section towards tl450 and tl550's.

15. craig isaacs

HI , thanks so much for your reply, so once I puchase the water for my marine tank from my Lfs how long do I need to Run my Tank for? what type of Sand do I put in and do I purchase any rocks immediatly etc or do I wait ?

16. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Personally I went with caribsea live sand. Bahama oolite is my favourite. Then add a few pieces of live rock. It will help with the cycle process. Min 30 days before adding anything, start with a CUC and then add as you go along.

17. craig isaacs

cool , I have a heater built in as well, do I just let it run, what should the temperature be of the Tank?

18. craig isaacs

so you mean that I purchase the water from the LFS and then lt it run for a Month?

19. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

you can buy ready mixed water from your LFS or you can buy salt and mix your own using RO water..

there are few things you need to have when when starting up your tank..

1) substrate (aragonite)
    2) live rock
    3) heater set to 25-26 degrees
    4) refractometer... this is important. you need to be
    able to monitor the salinity in your tank
    5) salt... although you can buy ready mixed water its always best to keep some salt at hand in case the salinity goes too low for one or another reason or if you need to make an emergency water change and you don't have ready mixed water at hand.
    6) RO water ... as water from the tank evaporates you will need to replace it with fresh water ... RO is the best as it will be pure with no contaminants..
    7) patience

its best if you can have all of the above at hand before you start.... live rock, aragonite and salt water are added to the tank at the same time in order to start the cycle process together.... it will take about a month during which time you will learn a lot more and be able to decide what you want to add to your tank once the cycle has been completed

Last edited: 21 Jun 2014
  20. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

if I'm correct you need about 1lb of live rock for every gallon of water... so for every 100 liters of water you need about 20kgs of live rock ... not sure how many litter is the boyu but you can do the math :)

21. craig isaacs

thanks ! its a 120 LITRE

Recent Posts