New Live Rock: To scrub or not to scrub?

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Quinton, 23 Feb 2008.

1. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

I just bought some extra live rock (about 7kg) for my 130 litre nano. Some of it came with a combination of fine green algae (carpet-like) algae, and some more leafy green stuff (almost like mini-seaweed). When I did my original tank setup I was advised to scrub all the green off the live rock before commencing maturation. But now, 5 months down the line, I have a yellow tang which seems to make quick work of any green algae on the live rock.

So to get to the point, should I leave the rock as is, and simply add it to my tank, or should I rather scrub all the green stuff off first?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

is ther lots of algea i would say if there isnt to much put the rock in without scrubing

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I would be inclined to leave it, pull off any big bits, easy to get off stuff don't struggle with it, you have a very willing volenteer by the sound of it.
    Out of interesrt how much LR did you have before this batch, is there enough mature rock to cope with the ammonia spike from the new stuff?

5. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Where did you get the rock? The reason i ask is normally imported live rock comes in already cleaned and scrubbed.

6. Quinton

Quinton Thread Starter Smarty-pants Newbie

I got it at Sam's. I must however point out that I would probably not be able to identify scrubbed vs unscrubbed rocks. I'm guessing that while in the the holding tank at the LFS, algae could grow back, even if the rocks were scrubbed when harvested.

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

If from sams, best you cure and cook it in a seperate container!

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Welcome Quinton. The only problem you might have if you JUST add it, is that any die-off or even detritus within the rocks (the main reason for the algae growing on the rocks in the first place) could cause a water parameter in-balance in your tank...

Therefore Ivan's suggestion to "cook" it before hand. This means: place the rock in a seperate tank/container (could be a plastic container (no matter size) with a power-head for water circulation, for at least another few weeks, while measuring the water parameters in this tank/container where you have placed the rocks). Once the water shows 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates, then you sorted. You can then place the rocks in your main tank.

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

do you perhaps have pics of this rock with the green algea on it?

10. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

My preference is to always opt for uncured live rock if I have the option and to never scrub or brush before using. The whole point of using/ adding live rock is to add or increase the diversity of micro fauna to your system. It makes no sense to scrub what little has survived before using. However never but uncured live rock into an established tank, it will spike your ammonia and nitrite levels. Do as Ivan says and cure in a seperate tank , preferably with some already cured rock. By doing this I had the cycling done and dusted in two weeks.

Recent Posts