New lamp looks promising

yes jac this light u can also buy at brights bellville its nogal a very kwl light but its not 10000k so to some people not white inove but u have to put alot of them on a big tank as this light only shine in say a strate line and not a wide angil...but very kwl for an custom nano....

I know this is a thread about lights, but this is a very interesting tank Hennie, could you not maybe open a thread about this setup and what it involves -Pumps etc to keep the "Beach" not floating down to the deep end....

OK Sean, just for you :) :) :)

It might take a while, though - I have other things to do this afternoon, so either this evening, or probably only next weekend...

Hennie

No problem, as long as we can see what you're hiding ....LoL. Just kidding- really interested in beach tank. Wanted to incorporate it in my tank, but did not know how to keep the sand on top, instead of it sliding/washing down, but will still find a way...

Fluorescent lamp

This is my first post here! Hennie's post regarding spiral fluorescent lamps is interesting, as I didn't think such units were available in SA, although a Google search will turn them up all over the USA. I'm in Cape Town, and I was wondering where the SA supplier is situated? Preferably I would like two around 5000K, 220V.
Peter.

Welcome Peter W, please start a thread in the new members section and tell us about your existing or future tank :)

So what the verdict about these lights. Are they good enough in a 24g nano for sps or is mh still the best.
remembering i have a nano.

Mike I think that because they have low K rating globes, it will look KAK. Coral growth will be nice but man it'll be ugly :)

hi there, looks good, how many of those lights would i need in a 1.5 by 800 tank?

Too many...

On that size tank (and if you want to keep corals, clams, etc.) I would rather go for 2 x 250W or 3 x 150W metal halides, depending on depth.

Hennie

hugo, went to builders but they dont stock it, friend of mine is a rep she got it for me, i need plans for the hood, have a 1.2 by 400. got 2 of those lights.

Check what I found, 45w energy saver. 2700 lumens, equivalent to a 225w halogen

52849848975b04a3.jpg

Hi Everyone.

I have just stumbled onto an 'energy saver' lamp with interesting possibilities at a local electrical wholesaler, immediately bought myself one to play around with, and thought I would pass on the information for everyone's benefit.

The lamp is a 85W Eurolux G384BP 'energy saver' power compact fluorescent with a built-in ballast and E27 base. It is in essence just a larger version of the common household energy savers, measuring approximately 300mm in length, and 90mm in diameter. According to the information on the box, it emits the equivalent of 425W of incandescent lamps - that is 5100 lumens, or approximately half the intensity of a 150W metal halide. The color is only described as 'daylight', and I suspect it is in the order of 6000K.

Although it is bright enough to illuminate a 600mm x 300mm nano tank quite nicely (I think it would be bright enough for even SPS in this size tanks) I think it could be really useful in illuminating a sump (where the 6000K color won't bother anyone...).

The really nice thing about this lamp is it's cost - R130.41 for the bulb, and R203.00 for the luminair (lamp holder), complete with cover glass.

Here are some photos:

10948386b03f3003.jpg

10948386b210877d.jpg

Hennie

Looks ideal for turf scrubbers and algae filters.

Back
Top Bottom