New kid on(off) the block

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Brad, 4 Mar 2008.

1. Brad

Brad

Hi Guys,

Have been reading and reading and reading. You guys are really helpful on this site. Well done.
    I bought a nano in November but shamefully had to pack it in (last week). I think I started too early... not enough knowledge!

Also, Nano is not the perfect set up I believe. I was hoping to perfect it before trying something larger. It really needs at least a chiller. My temp was permanently through the roof. Eventually moved it to my lounge and had the AC on all day and night. Not the best solution but it did work...

I have loved marine tanks since I was a kid and have always wanted one. But think I'll wait until I am more confident and knowledgeable before I start again. I'm an this site often and I'm sure I'll learn all I have to here.

My next tank I want to invest in properly and have a well set up operation.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi Brad, welcome to MASA,

I would agree, even though nanos appear to be simple, they are in fact much more unstable than a bigger system, you don't need to go mad, maybe 3 or 4ft will give you a much more forgiving system for you to learn with.

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome Brad.

Believe it or not, a bigger tank is easier than a Nano. larger volumes of water are more forgiving on the livestock as parameter changes are not as sudden.

You at the right place to plan your next tank and get working right.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM welcome to MASA, Brad! Thanks for creating the thread.

Look - I agree - It would be (have been) easier and a MUCH more smoother ride IF you had been able to get to MASA earlier on, and then have built your NANO up with the correct guidance and expectations. I am VERY glad that you do not want to give up COMPLETELY.

The important thing now, is that you have learnt a lot, AND that you found MASA. Here you will find a LOT of decent people with some decent experience that can guide you along.

The important thing now for you is to ask as MANY questions as you can, and learn as much as you can. And when you are ready for your next tank/setup, ask away. Plan, and ask as many questions as possible.

You must just gain enough experience and knowledge by asking as many questions as possible, that you can make up your own mind about what choices you want to make.

Have a look through the member's setup threads. Read up on some of the beginner's questions, and general discussions...... I am sure that you will gain a LOT of knowledge already by just reading a lot....

Good luck. We are here to help - and glad to do so! ;-)

6. shan

shan

Brad - i got a 24g nano and there are many people here running 50l and 90l nanos with no probs. it is not easy - and takes more work - but it can be done. have a look at the nano threads - look at my thread, matt165, dory1, avdp - none of us i believe had any experience and are running fantastic nanos - we have sps corals, clams and all the other things people said we cannot keep in a nano (except the big fish as that is cruel).

you can still start up your nano and anyone of us will be willing to help you.

where do you stay?

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA :)

8. Brad

Brad Thread Starter

Thanks Guys! I have been reading up on a lot of topics on the site. Definitely know a lot mre already... and have a LOT more to learn.
    Thanks Shan, but I'm going to pack in the Nano for good. I'll still keep it though... You never know what I might use it for in my new set up one day.
    Mekaeel, I'd like to ask you questions from time to time.... especially on equipment. I've seen a lot for sale on the site but never sure what would be a good buy. OK?

I'm from Pietermaritzburg but work in Durban.

9. shan

shan

cool dude - do the research - also a good thing to do will be to hook up with fellow reefers down there and have a look at their systems and see what goes on under the tank (normally where the sump is). i am sure we will soon see you up and running again

reefers are a cool bunch and always willing to help

10. Brad

Brad Thread Starter

That I have noticed!!!

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum Brad. Have no fear, your next tank will be a dream :)

I would recommend a 4ft if you can, nice size to have as a reef tank.

Any questions, just start a thread and the guys will help you out, there is a lot of experienced and knowledgeable guys on the board that will help you every step of the way.

12. Brad

Brad Thread Starter

World class... Thanks!

13. Brucemg

Brucemg

Recent Posts