New journey

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by MarcVanJ, 7 Oct 2013.

1. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ

hey all

so i thought i might share with you my 1st salt water tank. i have done fresh water for over 2 years now and im board of it so i decided to use all the left over equipment lying around to create this. i built the tank from scratch using left over glass and the stand from left over wood i had. the light is a recycled light from one of my planted tanks. its a beam works and my research shows that it should be sufficient for soft corals.i have disconnected the 3 blue LED's currently for my fresh water setup so will reconnect them when i start this tank i have never done salt water before so any advice or help would be awesome.

im unfortunately only going to be filling the tank next year but i though i would start a thread and get it going.

tan spec is 4mm glass 30x30x39 and holds 35ish L. i will be using a 4ool/h or more hang on filter as well as an internal filter with a spraybar. i will be using a sunsun powerhead low flow i think 1500l/h have not decided this yet. 50w short heater and thats it so far. using argonite sand and live rock. want to keep zoas and tourches. is this a good idea? i want to keep a firefish goby as well as a shrimp of some sort and some snails and hermit crabs. what are you guys thoughts on this.

here is what i have so far :

[​IMG]

i am aiming for this look: (rocks wise)

[​IMG]

what do you think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

by the looks of thing you have the light issues covered once you add the blue lights it will be fine to keep all sorta of corals

are you gonna have a sump. I would advise you to build one. with your diy skills shouldn't be a problems. having a sump will add water volume allowing you to keep a fish or two more and will also hide all the equipment form the display tank.. it also wont cost you really much.

main advise I can give you is to get a small skimmer.. without one you will become a slave of water changes

4. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

how do i set up a sump, as in how do i get the water to the lower sump and back up?

5. shan

shan

I have the same light. Works well with soft and lps corals. My acans are growing new heads.

I kept my nano bare bottom as it is easier to clean. I agree with @HOT SAUCE with the skimmer. It really does help. Remember to also enjoy your tank

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

my aim was to hide alot of the equipment behind the rocks, im looking into doing a sump. have never done one before, where can i go to find out about it ?

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the principle of a sum is real easy actually ... your display tank will have a hole drilled in one of the top corners of the back glass from that hole through a pipe the water will free flow down to the sump where there will be a pump that will pump the water back into the display tank... going round and around :)

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

that way you can have all your equipment in the sump and your display tank will look neat and natural

9. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

how do i ensure that the flow to the bottom tank(sump) will be equal to the water coming back to the tank from the sump

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

you would use a 50mm PVC pipe going down which can hold a lot of flow. so if you have 1000lph return pump 1000lph will go back to the sump through the large 50mm pipe

Last edited: 7 Oct 2013
  11. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

ok cool sorry i am very new to the sump so have no knowledge about it, thanx for the help

12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

basically as the pump in the sump pumps the water into the display tank when the water reaches the level where the 50mm pipe is it will simply overflow down to the sump again and just go on as long as the pump is working ..

13. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

no problems ask away :)

14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

15. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

sorry about the bad link but this stupid Opera Mini browser does not allow me to copy URL s and paste them here ..

16. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

it worked dont stress, i see what you mean, how big must my sump be, my tank is 35L

17. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

well the more water volume the more stable the water parameter will be so the bigger the better .. seeing you already have a cabinet build make the sump big enough to fit in the cabinet .. so about 30-40 liters.. can be a simple sump with two compartments only
    first will be the skimmer chamber and also this is where the water will flow down from the display tank. and the next chamber you can put in all your other equipment such as return pump .. heater .. filters etc

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

take note that you need to get the glass cleaner in between the rocks and the glass. And the less rock, the better water flow.

19. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

so here is an update on the tank. i got very impatient and decided i would go and get the tank cycling so long and will stock it next year. let me know what you think, im really enjoying the look of the scape and rocks

[​IMG]

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do not like the rocks against the side panels. Just makes cleaning the side panels so much more difficult.

21. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ Thread Starter

Thanx for your input, I chose this layout as i really dislike the random blog of rocks that sit in the middle of the tank looks really unnatural imo, and I have made provision so that I can clean all the glass the picture makes it look like its touching but there is a small gap

Recent Posts