New inhabitants

Reaction score
hi there, still a newbie !!!

With time will I have any great surprisies ans see new inhabitants in my tank that will shock me ?? OR will i always expect the expected ? I'm not asking for a new species of fish to pop up but will i see anything interesting happening with my live rock ?

I started my tank yesterday ? What do i expect ?

Sammy

Reaction score
pods, maybe some crabs or snails. I even had some zooanthids and mushroom corals on my rock. All depends on where you got the rock from and how much life was on it to start with ;)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sammy - unfortunately this is a journey that takes time. Yes - you could START seeing some life - but in the next 3 to 4 weeks or so you become amazed with the live that the "live rock" brings to your system. AND, that is even before you add fish, or corals!

Reaction score
LOL, soooo true wee-man !!!! Its already started, both wife and daughter thinks that I've lost the plot ...

Reaction score
Well the only way for them to get attention now, is mentioning the person personal trainer, ooooopppppssss ....

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
:)

Don't you worry - a few months from now, and THEY will be doing the rock/pod/worm watching..... And yelling every time they see something new ;-)

And THEN, very soon afterwards - you cannot take THEM to a LFS without one of THEM telling you: ooohhh, that's so beautiful, buy this, and that is an awesome fish, buy that! ;-)

Good luck mate!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've seen some new life on my sad this morning, 2 black worms, the about 3cm long and look a little like a millipede. They both still living ???

What are they and have they crawled out of hidding in the LR ??? Do I leave them be or remove them ???

Let me know if you want me to send a pic?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Sammy - leave them be - they are MOST likely either peanut or bristle-worms.... You can post a pic if you want, but they are MOST likely part of the cleanup crew that comes with the live rock - that makes the live rock alive...

Reaction score
my research say they are brisle worms, spoke to sam and he says i should remove them? Your thoughts?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
No Sammy - don't remove them. Why would "Sam" say you should remove them? They are very good at eating detritus in the tank. The only thing that they can do is sting you accidentally with their bristles.... BUT they do no harm to the tank.

Reaction score
there are now 3 should i net them or leave them be, my tank is only cycling for 3 days's, my gut feel is to remove them?

Reaction score
ok, but remeberi dont have a sump where i can put them? And why did sam tell me to get rid? As a newbie im just looking for what is best/

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
When did you go to sams Sammy?

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
To leave them is best TRUST us you will be doing something bad by takeing them out.

Reaction score
ok, but remeberi dont have a sump where i can put them? And why did sam tell me to get rid? As a newbie im just looking for what is best/