New in marine need help please

Discussion in 'New Members' started by andrew, 7 Apr 2009.

1. andrew

andrew

Hallo my name is Andrew from Vanderbijlpark.I bought a 2300mm x 800mm x 800mm x 15mm thick. The bottom glass is cracted and ill beleave also the sump and skimmer is to small for the tank.With the tank there is also about 40kg live rock and gravel sand.I put the saltwater, live rock,the skimmer ,heater and 4 fish in a plastic container and it's still looking alwrite for now.Please help me to start up the rightway and also the most coste efective.I dream for this so long time already and i want to pull throug with this.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Apr 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

A VERY WARM MASA :welcometomasa2:!!!!

If you say the sump and skimmer is too small for the tank, who told you this and secondly what are the sump size, skimmer details etc? And sorry for not understanding, but is the bottom glass cracked?

Another couple of questions to help us help you please:

1) Where did you get the saltwater from?
    2) What fish do have in there?
    3) What lights do you have?
    4) What is your current water parameters i.e pH, N02, N04, NH4 etc?

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

5. Apollo

Apollo

Hello Andrew and welcome to MASA !

Besides for the questions Jaco has already asked :

Can you try and post some pics of your display tank and sump. This would help us to understand your setup a little better.

In the meantime though :
    Your fish should be fine in the plastic container for a while (provided that it's big enough and you have some circulation going)
    Are you able to fix the broken base of the tank right away ?

6. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

[​IMG] andrew

9. andrew

andrew Thread Starter

Hallo Jaco, when i get it,it was already leaking.It had already saltwater in it.The fish names i dont no,there is 8 long light's in it 4 white and 4 blue, and the water parameters i realy dont no how to test it.

10. Apollo

Apollo

Hi Andrew,

OK. So you got a complete setup system .

What is your current experience/knowledge with regards to keeping marines ?

I would suggest that you read through the article in the Beginners discussion forums which is entitled " So you want to start a marine tank". ( Can't remember the exact title though :p )

You need to fix the tank rather urgently as a first priority. Your fish and liverock will be OK for a short while in the plastic container , but IMO I wouldn't keep them in there for longer than 2-3 days.
    If you can't fix the tank immediately , try and see if someone can keep your fish in their tanks until you are able to sort out yours.

To the other members : Is there someone close to Vanderbijl that could possibly help Andrew out ?

Andrew , once your tank is fixed and the fish and liverock are in then we can talk again to see where we can assist you with your setup.

As I already mentioned : Pics would really help. ;)

11. Apollo

Apollo

Andrew ,

Just a thought : If you PM me your cell number , I'll give you a call and we can discuss in more detail if you wish.
    :)

12. crispin

crispin

hello andrew :)

sorry to hear that you are styarting out with a leaking tank and fish in a holding facility, thats not the easiets way to get going. But lets see what we can advice to get the tank up and going:)

Apollo said it and he is dead right, we NEED pics its worth a thousand words and we on masa will have a better idea on exactly whats happened. Tanks can normally be fixed, but in your case it sounds like it needs to have glass replaced. that will take time and in my opinion should be done by a professional (additional time) which will all have influence on the live stock you have.

By the way by Live stock i mean any living thing...including fish, crabs, snails, Live rock etc etc. I would seriously suggest that you should find a back up plan to host the stock you have, or even sell it untill the tank is fixed and cycled again.

13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome, may i suggest reading through the Masapedia/our Wiki, there are plenty good articles in there, good luck and welcome to the Dark Side.

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome Andrew

15. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Ditto Crispin and Apollo. Guys we need someone to go there URGENTLY and help the guy out. Andrew you need to try and find a home for those fish as in yesterday, as your time is running out, and replacing a glass panel on a tank is not a one day job. As Crispin said, even sell it if need be, rather than everything dying (as these animals are not just animals)

I also suggest goiong through member list on top of the page. You might find someone in the Vanderbijl area. Could an Admin not help us maybe with a name so Andrew can make contact and see if anyone can help him over there.

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi Andrew, welcome to MASA - shoe, what a bad start. I see some of the guys already asked a few important questions. I'll wait for the pictures and answers
    That link about marines is in my signature - please read it ASAP.
    I think Falcon stays in that area. I agree as to rather sell the fish or let someone hold them for you as the tank will still go through a cycle when you set it up and that can take up to 2 months depending on the water quality, whether the rock is cured properly etc. The fish could die from ammonia poisoning if this is the case. Then you can properly plan and start over and right - with the help from all of us on MASA ;)

17. Pete

Pete

Guys I'm in Pretoria and if the man fits the fuel bill and the glass and silicone I will go through on the weekend and replace the base for him.. So if he wants he can PM me his no and we can make the arrangements

18. andrew

andrew Thread Starter

andrew Vanderbijlpark

Hallo Pete,My No is ********** and iam willing to about any thing for you if you can come throu and help me ,thanks Andrew

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Apr 2009
  19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Andrew, not sure whether you've seen that your number was removed - this is a open forum, so no numbers in the open - you get stalkers you know. Please use the private message option for private info. :)

20. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Can't you guys see the reason for the edit:

Last edited by Shaun : 1 Hour Ago at 13:17 PM. Reason: Please use PM's for private info

21. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yes I did, I just highlighted it for him as he is very new and might not know about pm's ;)

... it's my job :p

Recent Posts