New home, New setup...

Reaction score
HI guys and gals

I will be married in December and moving into a new place in January. I have an esstablished 400-500 liter system at my parents place, but there is also a 1000+ liter system standing waiting for me to set it up...

This setup will be for the new home... Luckily the wife to be is also amazed by the marines and supports me in the hobby!!! so this helps alot.

I would firstly like to start of with a question bout the cycle and then the transportation....

What do I need for the cycle? (Cant remember...)
Can I transport the fish and LR all at once or do I need to do it in sections?

Firstly congrats!
Do you have aragonite yet? I would recommend caribsea. It cycled my tank in two weeks!!!

Keyword is slowly when introducing anything into the tank(well that is my approach?)

Ok,

In that case get some bacteria from the lfs and chuck a prawn in and let it cycle for +-4 weeks. If you have some establish liverock that will help it on quickly. Then get test kits for ammonia, Nitrite and nitrates. (Sure there is a section on this? Under new members?)

Im sure there is a section, but asked the question cause its faster getting the answer than looking in the archives;)
It will be a complete swop, the smaller tank will be sold later

I do need to add that everything in the old tank will have to be transported from Centurion to Theresapark. Its bout 40km.

In the setup:
60-70kg LR
3 tomato clowns
2 Clarkii Clowns
3 Boxer shrimp
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Damsels
2 Chromis
Multiple hermits and snails
magnifica nennie
pipe nennie
large pin cushion
colt coral
leather coral
xenia
hammer
different polyps and zoa's

any other info required?

Yoh yoh yoh! I did it moving my 1000l from one house. In a complex to another in the same place. I kept all my water and had no cycle. (lucky i guess?)You want to move from a small tank established tank to a bigger one?

I would go for it provided the move is well planned and you keep your old water.

But ultimately i would ask one of the more wiser guys?
The risk is you may start another cycle from disturbing the substrate to much.

I would suggest you find someone to house your livestock for you(a good lfs) And start properly.

+1 for Williet, but rather let a lfs keep your life stock until you are sure the tank has finished cycling, I am sure you will go through one.

It depends on the tank. It varies. From 2 weeks to 4. Test with test kits to monitor the progress of the cycle.

There are some faster ways with additives.

But if you do not need to take down your old tank why not do a full and proper cycle? it would mean running 2 tanks for 2 months but still.

I know that I can let it go through a full cycle, but would like to move the setup in one go as the wife to be wont like to have an empty tank in the house when we get married and move in together...

Think about this. What is the difference between relocating your tank from one house to another. And replacing everything from one tank to another?

hmmm. Nothing. Except for your DSB. Its still a full days job.

Ensure some strong hands and keep them willing with a few cold beers. :)

Hi Riaan, the reason that I asked is because the new setup would take more water and thus I was not sure if I can just move everything over to the new setup. Should I move the water as well?
The DSB will not move with the setup, but I can use it to seed the new setup's DSB. Can you give me your advice here please

As i understand it, if the new system is not thaaaaaaaaaaaattt much bigger than the old one it would be like doing a water change? Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Not sure about the DSB though.

Move as much as you can from the old system.

Unless you got the change to set up the new tank completely before you do the bog move. Like a month earlier (or moving old tank a month later)

Then I would seed the new DSB. Move 50 % of the rock. Month later move the rest of the rock. And the fish and corals. Just need to acclimatize them then.

Ok, so a waiting periode would be best...
Maybe if I'm lucky enough we can move our stuff to the new place before the wedding, then I can fill it etc and let cycle while we on honeymoon etc.

Just do not cut the honeymoon short to come back to the tank :eek:

But that will be a good option.

picture.php
some pics of the new setup:

Back
Top Bottom