New guy on the block

Reaction score
Hi there.

I am very new to this game and are going to need a lot of help and info as i go along.

I have just ordered my marine tank with sub from my local pet shop whom specialize in
marine aquariums.

The tank dimensions are 1.2 X .45 x .55 high.

I intend setting it up as a reef tank.

Do i have to purchase a chiller? I live in Gauteng, Kempton Park. I would think winter
the temp should not be a problem, What about summer?

Reaction score
welcometomasa

Eugene, you can use PC fans and separate heaters (i use this setup)

The chiller is just easy, but way more expensive. I wouldn't suggest being your first buy, rather spend more money on a kick ass skimmer.

Are you getting your tank from Exotics ?

Last edited:

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Eugene and welcome to MASA.

You may find you need to run a chiller but you can get quite far just by running fans blowing over the surface of the water and cooling by causing evaporation. I certainly wouldn't buy one quite yet at this point.

What other equipment have you ordered/bought?

Reaction score
Guys i have not bought anything for the tank as yet. Most of the equipment i buy now will end up in a hospital tank, once i feel confident enough to spend serious money on this new adventure i will buy the more expensive skimmers and what else i need. So what ever you guys out there have lying in a cupboard and dont need please let me know how much you want for it.

Reaction score
Welcome!!

Ahoy Eugene,

WELCOME to MASA!!!! You're at the right place, these guys here will answers all your questions. So, ASK ASK ASK ASK....

Ciao,
J.

Reaction score
Welcome Eugene :)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A very warm WELCOME to MASA, Eugene! Please have a look through the threads of other new members, in the "New Members" section/forum of MASA. You will see a LOT of questions asked and answered, with so AWESOME information.

Look - you would not specifically require a chiller. A lot of reefers get by VERY well with only fans blowing over their sump. You would just have to adjust your RO water topup, to keep up to speed with fresh water evaporation.

The idea is to keep the water chemical parameters balanced within a small scope.....

So - other things you should look at/questions you should ask:
- skimmer
- lighting
- sump
- biological filtration
- chemical filtration
- DSB (deep sand bed)
- testing kits
- live rock
- dead/base rock
- detitus
- nutrient cycle (ammonia -> nitrites -> nitrates -> nitrogen & oxygen)
- phosphates
- nuisance algae
- etc (not complete list)

Every thing in the marine reefkeepers world, is about balancing the amount of nutrients (good and bad) you put INTO the tank water, with what your filtration can take out.....

Reaction score
Welcome Eugene. Be sure you're going to fork out quite a lot of $$$! :D

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to Masa Eugene, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. You'll definitaly learn a lot on this forum :thumbup:
Good advice there Jacques ;) as always!