New Guy as usual.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Spikester, 24 Jan 2012.

1. Spikester

Spikester

Hey Guys

I have finally decided to join the marine world. I have been part of MASA since 16-08-2010 but always only been reading and dreaming. Finally the dream has arrived.

So after reading alot on the forums I have decided that even though i have had FW tanks for about 4 years now I still know nothing about Marines. After reading alot of posts here of how people have made mistake this is what i have come up with.

To start off:
    1.2m tank with corner overflow to sump.
    2500lh return pump
    TS1 Skimmer
    4 X 54 T5 lights
    2 X 2500lh power heads
    Resun CL-280 Chiller
    1 X 300watt heater.
    Well washed play sand for DT
    Mix of Aragonite-Fiji Pink Reef Sand and Play sand for dsb(150mm Deep)
    Water ill be getting from dorry pets as I live close to them.

Idealy i would like a reef tank where my main focus will be corals. Ill only have a few fish(5 or so) and a CUC.

Please let me know if im missing something.

Ps. I have a RO unit for drinking water, will that work for top up?

Last edited: 24 Jan 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Firstly WELCOME !!!

Seeing that you ar eclose to Dorry Pets , you are in good hands, so you should be OK .

IMHO it seems like you have most bases covered (seeing corals will be your main focus) , however this type of setup will mostly be suited to softies & some LPS...SPS would need different conditions wrt flow , lighting etc in the long run. But there is nothing wrong with that !

As for the RO unit , no it wont be fine (generalising), most household RO units "re mineralise" the water after the last stage to make it good for human consumtion...you dont want that ending in the tank.

You can however with a small mod make it to work....depends on the unit you have , here a pic would help

4. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA ;)

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome :)

7. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa, great to have you join and even better to hear that you are taking the plunge into deep blue salty water:) It sounds like youve got the basics covered with what you want to achieve which is great to see.

just a small point, id use the aragonite in the display tank and the play sand in the dsb. Aragonite is far better in a display tank as it gives you a better environment for micro critters to live in, thus increased populations which will do great work for you in the Tank and its slightly heavier than playsand so it tends not to get blown around so much:)

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!

9. Spikester

Spikester Thread Starter

Hey guys

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes.

@FransSny: My plan is to start off with softies and LPS and then when I have more money and experience one day ill move over to SPS.
    Ill take a photo of the RO unit asap and post a pic of the diagram that came with the unit.

@crispin: Id love to use Aragonite in the DT but rite now that budget doesnt really allow for enough to fill my DT so I thought it would be better to mix in the dsb and have 1 type in the DT. Please advise me if I should rather mix in the DT.

Keep the ideas and tips comming guys. Thanks to all who have.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

As @crispin says, use the Aragonite in the DT. Even if it does not cover the whole base of the tank. Place the rock-work on the glass and the aragonite in the front if you are worried about aesthetics. You can always add more at a later stage when funds are available. If you mix you cannot unmix later down the line.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Spikester

Spikester Thread Starter

Ill definitly look into doing that.

Which would be better:
    TS1 in sump skimmer(rated 450L) or
    Reef octopus OTP-2000 HOB skimmer (rated 500l)?

12. crispin

crispin

its great to start witha cuc a few fish and some soft corals. Thats often enough to be a pretty marine tank, and then slowly add other corals and inverts as your abilities in keeping the tank grow. Dont rush it though there is lots to learn and you will need the time to understand it all.

if you only have a little aragonite then do as Nemos says, its a good tip. I personally would place LR first (it makes for a more stable base to have the LR on the glass and stops fish like wrasses or engeneer goby's burrowing under it and detabalising the structure) and then add enough aragonite to be around 4-5cm thick. If you dont have enough and budget is tight then have it around the outside of the tank for asthetics and try save up for more. Dont mix aragonite and playsand though. Also its best to add RO water, then salt to the correct SG, get the temp up, then add LR and scape as desired. Remove some water into buckets for later use and then add the substrate to the water using a plastic jug so that you can sink the jug into the water and then drop it from around 2-3 cm off the glass. That way you get all the air out as the sand particles fall through the water. If you add sand and then water you have dead zones in the substrate and thats not good at all. Then replace water as needed as the sand will have displaced some water when you add it.

Aragonite is far better in a display than play sand.

13. crispin

crispin

personally i would go for the Ts1 between those two, but i would also suggest watching the classified sexction on masa (some great deals there on all sorts of equipment) and see if you cant get a better make of skimmer second hand for a similar price. Skimmer availability has realy increased to the SA market in the last 3 years with some great brands and skimmers now available, so look around carefully. Skimmer is a very imporatnt machine in your filtration, spend wisely here.

14. Spikester

Spikester Thread Starter

Would it be a good idea to add a NP reactor if I have a smallish sump and if yes would you put it before or after the DSB?

Last edited: 25 Jan 2012
  15. crispin

crispin

if you ahve a smallish sump then I would skip a dsb in preference for an NP reactor and i would use the space to either add macro algae, or additional LR or better still a bigger skimmer.

Is your sump already made and designed? Do you have an auto top up chamber, and do you ahve space for one?

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

If you go the Bio Pellet route then a TS1 is definitely out for a 250l tank. Look at a skimmer that is rated for about 600 - 800 liters.

17. crispin

crispin

and if you can afford it go deltec, best skimmer ive ever had:)

18. crispin

crispin

just to expand on what NJ is saying here, when using NP pellets one needs heavey skimming, preferably with the output from the ractor getting skimmed straight away. Over skimming is required to effectivley drive nutrients down with an NP eactor. Hence his recommendation of a much larger skimmer

19. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

20. Jeann1

Jeann1

Everyone has already said what needs to be said for now - so I can only say

welcometomasa

21. Evo R

Evo R

:welcometomasa2:

Recent Posts