New Fish - When do they start eating

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by vatso, 14 Jan 2010.

1. vatso

vatso

Hello All

Right how do we know if our new fish are eating when they hide all the time?

What's the best way to get them to eat & or not hide & how often do you feed?

Twice or once a day? & what time?

I have a naso tang who is hiding under the rocks.

thanks
    Mark

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

mark why are you buying new fish????????

4. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Crispin this might really sound stupid but because I can like to!

I have not over stocked my tank with fish & stuff I have waited more then a week to put the other fish in ;)

ammonia = 0 has been for 2 weeks
    Nitrite = 0
    KH = 8

Doing 50% water change every month.

5. crispin

crispin

6. crispin

crispin

now that IS the dumbest thing I have heard on masa.

Its not only about what YOU like younge man, but about the quality of the enviroment of the LS you plan to keep :) I may be one of the few whom express my ethical believs on the way fish and marine animals are kept, but i really dont believe that fish should be made to suffer for you personal enjoyment.

7. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

He is in so not much I can do now, he is not stressed as in have white spots on his body he is just hiding away like the jumping bean who is very happy to have a friend to play with it seems.

But I do hear you guys & I don't want things to die would upset me.

My Other fish has been in the tank for more then a week & has been okay if the ammonia was high he would be dead?

Mark

8. crispin

crispin

perchance you also missed some of the common litterature on naso tangs, indeed a very beautiful fish and wonderful to keep. I looked up a website on your behalf as maybe you will take their advice better than mine...

Naso Tang, Orangespine Unicornfish - Naso lituratus

please read the reccomended tank size for a Naso tang.

i dont think 100gallons equates to 250l, which if i recall correctly is the tank that you have put it in?

9. crispin

crispin

oh actually there is lots you can do....

take it OUT :)

10. maj

maj

How long has ur tank been running vatso,im hoping longer than 3 months atleast....

Fish will eat if they healthy...if ur tanks params are not in order,meaning the tank mates are not healthy thus not eating.

So please take it easy on stocking ur tank

11. crispin

crispin

12. FransSny

FransSny

@ crispin Ouch ....harsh words there but unfortunately true

@ vatso....I am choosing my words as carefully as possible, saying "because i can like to" must rate under my top 1 kakkest attitudes towards this hobby I have heard in a long time.

Naso tang in that size tank :nono:. See if the LFS can take him back (doubt it as he has WS), or maybe a reefer with a QT can help you out.

You have made a mistake...we all do, now fix it

BTW: the bean doesnt want to "play"

13. mnd123

mnd123

Naso in a 250L? Ouch.

14. shauno

shauno

OUCH!!!!

getting grilled...

Vatso thats not fair on the fish mate...AT ALL.

-Take advice from the likes of Crispin and others on the forum.

they wont just tell you something cause its B*$%****e or they think they know what they talking about.

take him back to the LFSand ask for a credit which you can use once the tank has Cycled??

15. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Okay everyone

Let me start by saying I did not want to give attitude, I asked a question to learn from you guys & I get blasted!

If I made a mistake with the fish I would make sure it found a proper & happy home - In fact I would say that he would get a bigger & better tank which I would have built! that's how I am. he is still small ;)

What would be great guys is rather give the answers & try help & then suggest that tank size is not correct.

My cycle did start & the ammonia & nitrite went up & has all come down to 0 - does it mean I still need to wait 6 months before I put fish in? also my tank is clean as per some of the pics you may have seen - the algea has grown & now is nearly all clear off the back of my glass.

So no I do not want & or have a **** attitude & yes taking it slow is the right thing to do. I can tell you that I did not throw fish in to speed up the cycle but rather living live rock which I bought & other bacteria products.

So I am sorry if I offended people but I am asking for help.

Mark

16. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

vatso you did hit some nerves on MASA today, but all that left behind now:

I really suggest still, that you do the following in future:

1) Before buying any LS, just ask they guys "listen I wanna keep a seahorse, can I" Then you would get a much "safer" response, and we can help you before you do any harm to the animal.

2) Really get that fish out of that tank. I must be honest in saying that YES, you might keep it and it might even survive for many many years, leaving all of us looking like idiots, but chances of that is slim to none, and are you really willing to gamble that?

You have to understand, that not everything revolves around the ammonia and nitrates in the tank, and this you will learn as you grow in the hobby.;) Certain fish, like mandarin fish feed heavily on amphipods. If your tank has done cycling, and all reads 0, you STILL CAN NOT keep this fish, as the pod population just isn't big enough to meet it's feeding needs.

Tangs like Naso Tangs have very strict feeding requirments, and need a certain level of stability in the system, before they can be introduced.

Can anyone who has kept this fish elaborate a bit here please, as I have little knowledge of them.?

Thing is, start off by crawling, before you want to fly. Naso Tang is flying, really, like seahorses and sharks and the like. Get to know how to handle situations with hardier fish, before you tackle the delicate fish. First grow your own knowledge, by asking first then buying, before you get into trouble. ;)

17. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Jaco you make a very good point - Asking is not the best idea!! rather just learn the hard way.

As for removing the fish I think it's stressed enough & is small enough to survive the next few months

what is so interesting to me is that lots of LFS don't have very big tanks the keep the fish in? & are we sure the fish I bought that quickly? Again I don't want to get into it with anyone I just want to have happy families in my tank.

18. mnd123

mnd123

LFS's job is to move stock, so small tanks are all they need, and make it easy to catch without stressing the fish too much

19. Jaco Schoeman

Huh?

You have to do just the EXACT opposite...

Anyway, if you feel that you wanna keep the Tang, no one can force you to do otherwise.

I want to make a deal with you though Vatso: My end of the deal is this; Guys, let us be the good MASA family that we are, and give Vatso the needed advice and support he has to keep this fish alive, however stupid or impossible we think it might be, by us not giving him advice, the fish is dead anyway. At least we can try and help this guys save the fish.

Your end of the deal: The moment that fish seems to struggle, or get sick or is just not eating, please inform us so we can get that fish outa there. Once the fish is healthy again in someone elses tank, and you have found the cause of it being ill, you can have it back (ALTHOUGH I MUST SAY PLEASE START WORKING TOWARDS A BIGGER TANK FOR A NASO)

Deal?

20. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Jaco - 110% Deal

I do not want to ever hurt & or harm the fish in anyway in fact any of the things in my tank!

I can assure you I have killed less sea creatures then anyone on this site! I don't eat any sea food nothing! ;)

I will be getting a bigger tank for the tang it seems bigger is better any case!

I am keeping a close eye on the fish but it's hiding away at the moment & that was my only concern & making sure it was eating - I am not all that bad

21. Jaco Schoeman

Yeah sure. What's nice, and what I suggest you do, is get another bigger tank, maybe a 1.8meter then make that a fish only tank, with a bit of liverock in it. You can then connect this tank to your sump, and connect this smaller reef tank, with the large fish only. This will save you on cost, whilst adding total volume, making the tanks more stable (chemically)

How long have you now had this tang?

Recent Posts