New Equipment Advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by lloyd18, 1 Sep 2010.

1. lloyd18

lloyd18

Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased the below equipment and I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback as to whether this is suitable, eventually I plan on setting up a reef tank, would the equipment I have suffice or would I need to get some upgrades.

Tank: 1200 X 460 X 750
    Skimmer: Reeftek TS2
    Flow Pump: Sun Sun 12000 Ltr/ hour
    Heaters: 2 X 250 Watt
    Live Rock: 20Kg
    Return Pump

I am not 100% sure on the tanks lighting but it has two T5's as standard one Actinic, would this suffice for the beggining stages or would anyone recomend using Metal Halides immediately?

Next question is shoud I run a LSB in my sump or would the sandbed in the tank suffice I am planning on using Aragonite in the tank.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Hi

Welcome... I run T5s in my tank, similar size to yours. You can easily get away with it if you have enough. I have 6 bulbs, but yeah MH's are probably more suitable for non-softie corals... I run crushed coral in main tank and play sand in the sump with some chaeto which helps absorb nutrients... You have good enough equipment to fire her up!

4. lloyd18

lloyd18 Thread Starter

Thats what I have been concerned about is that at the end of the day even with the DSB in the main display tank it would also be better to use one in the sump as well, problem is the sump only has 3 compartments?

5. rakabos

rakabos

Sump almost always has 3 compartments... 1st section is where your main tank dumps into, second is where the DSB sits, third is where you put the return pump...

6. lloyd18

lloyd18 Thread Starter

Ok great so that settles that then, the sump I have got originally had foam/sponge on top and ceramic rings underneath in the first compartment, then second was the Protein skimmer and third was the return pump

7. rakabos

rakabos

I forget...

The skimmer is usually in the first section where the water dumps into. I would forget about bio balls completely. What would be great is if you set everything up and get some chaeto and a cup of mature DSB with pods from a fellow reefer!

8. lloyd18

lloyd18 Thread Starter

Reasoning for that would be? please bear with me if I sound ignorant this is my first Marine tank.
    What is Chaeto?

9. rakabos

rakabos

10. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

LLOYD welcome to MASA,

A couple of comments ...

750 is relatively deep for a tank and 2 x T5 will suffice for only some of the most forgiving of corals and i doubt they will thrive under such low lighting 6 x T5's on the other hand is another story, on my current tank which is very similar in size i run 4xT5 and 2 x 150wMH

you may way to loof at the option of a pvc rock stand in order to create some height in the tank...

IMHO a deep sand bed in the sump is a must !!!

reason why the bio balls are not common place in most tanks these days is that they do not complete the nitrogen cycle, a DSB while taking longer to mature is far more forgiving in the long run. that being said there are literally dozens of ways to run the filtration in a marine tank..... make sure you understand what is going on chemically and design the filtration around that ....

11. lloyd18

lloyd18 Thread Starter

Hi Neil,

thanks a million, so basically the Aragonite in the main tank would not suffice and I would definately need the DSB in the sump, how big and how deep should this be and what medium to use?

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

as with most things in the marine world, there is no clear answer to that, there is no doubt that a SSB in the DT is beneficial, but for a DSB to work effectively then it needs to be approximately 18cm deep, the upper zone is aerobic (O2 rich) zone which is where one part of the notogen cycle takes place, the other part of the cycle occurs in the anaerobic (O2 poor) deeper region of the DSB. So having a SSB in the DT will be a good thing and may perfor some of the anaerobic processes, but if you have things like wrasses that like to bury or sand shifting goby's to mention but two of the organisms which disturb the substrate then you are unlikely to develope the oxygen poor area's.

The simplest answer to the size of the DSB is as BIG as you can make it and at least 15cm deep preferably 18cm

13. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

you can use reggies play sand in your sump and make it 15cm deep put your chaeto ball in the DSB section with your protein skimmer in the first section. then get a bag of carbon and add that to your return section in a mesh bag.

The carbon will take toxins out the water and stop it from going yellow over time.
    the DSB will stabilise your nitrogen cycle so that if you make changes in your display tank you dont completely disturb your bacteria.

the skimmer in the first section will remove most of the detritus before it goes to your DSB.

then leave your DSB alone. dont move the sand around and it will be looking good soon. Adding a cup of sand from a mature DSB will get a multitude of organisms straight in to start breeding and growing. Not to mention that boost of good bacteria.

Take your time and set everything up properly then keep your hands out as much as possible. every time you put your hands in the tank you introduce bad bacteria and foreign contaminents that your tank does not actually want.

Lastly relax and have some fun. Remember its a hobby.

14. lloyd18

lloyd18 Thread Starter

Hi Salty Reef,

What the guys that I have bought the tank from have it set up like is in the first chamber there is sponge/foam then under that there is ceramic rings, next chamber is Protein Skimmer and last chamber is Return pump with some Purigen as well, would you suggest that I change this?

15. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

yes.first chamber should be ur skimmer,to catch all the dirt from the over flow,then ur dsb,n then ur return pumps.

i would take out the ceramic rings,and only put the sponge in if you are going to clean it daily,otherwise it will feed nitrates.

Recent Posts