New display and new sump advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dogstar, 17 Dec 2012.

1. dogstar

dogstar

Hi All,

I havent been on the forums for a while. My tank is about 4 years old and has been going strong. I however want to change things up - because my system was made of odds and ends, and its kind of a weird setup. My old tank thread below: My Tank :) - Marine Aquariums South Africa

DT is 1m x 0.5m x 0.5m - sump is small and to the side of the tank, it cant fit under the stand.

I bought a new DT, 0.5m x 0.5m x 0.5m, Yes i am going smaller. But i want a bigger sump, probably about 1.2m long,

I really want to use the sump to ensure the water in the smaller display is pristine.

So i need some help on the following:

1. Suggestions on where to get a new stand with cabinet and sump built in jhb
    2. Design suggestions for the sump
    3. Do people still use algae scrubbers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

To preempt some of the questions, i think i want to have the following in my sump:

1) DSB
    2) Refugium - keep some chaeto and keep a nice population of pods and other critters
    3) Place for keeping my current DT live rock for additional filtration (want to get new rock for the new DT)

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

first, how tick is your wallet? DIY or build for you?

Refugium is nice.
    DSB, I use it.
    Current rock is nice extra filtration, but provides less media surface than the DSB. Will you run a remote sump?

And algae scrubbers, funny thing is that 3 to 4 years ago everybody tried them. There was at least one Algae scrubber discussion on the home page at any time. For some reason they fell out of fashion. They are a bit of a schlep to clean, take apart, keep everything else around them dry while cleaning them. and they do work. I had one, and currently do not have one set up.

5. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

I am not that great with DIY, so somebody needs to build for me - don't have that much cash.

Nope, no remote sump, no more space.

Can i use the same DSB compartment in the sump for the refugium? I.e. the sand at the bottom, the chaeto etc floating in there?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes
    Just ensure that the chamber is deep. With at least 200mm above the sand.

7. Falcon

Falcon

No idea,I get mine from die visdam normally they are a sponsor here also.
    Or other wise get a local welder who is a bit clued up.

Simpler is better,maybe a three stage set-up

Hardly anyone,too much of a schelp in my opinion.

Refugium is great for nutrient control and pods if you have sufficient light down there but a DSB uses more nitrates than phosphates which means you will use more PO4 remover to reduce excess phosphates which could be more costly.

Only use a dsb if your refugium and other methods of nutrient control cant handle the nitrates.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2013
Recent Posts