New Creatures

Zuv

Zuv & Brend's
Reaction score
Morning all

After yesterdays water change i redirected the flow of the pumps in my tank due to them causing a concentrated flow (like a jet) and because the water was also breaking the surface causing lots of bubbles. read somewhere that a to finer bubble can cause fish to get sick? anyways thats soted now but what i noticed after all the bubbles where gone was "tiny" little creatures looks like brine shrimp thousands of them swimming all over in the tank. does anyone have any idea what they could be?

thanks.
zuv

Those are more than likely pods, otherwise known as free fish food. The more the better

Airbubbles also cause a lot of salt creep which you don't want ;)

Zuv - please explain to me why you would like to use a "jetstream" of water flow in your tank? Is this explicitly to clean live rock?

Hi Jacques, i have an internal filtration system situated at the back of the tank so all my power heads sit at the back and blow the water through to the front by 12mm pipes and i found this to be to direct (jet!!) so i then redirected them by using 90' bends so that they dont blow whatever goes passed them "in future" through the glass of the tank.
not sure if that makes sence now!

Ah - ok Zuv. Now I understand. Perhaps you want to investigate the "dispersed" water flow a SEIO or SunSun gives?

The sea creatures prefer to have a very wide and dispersed water flow - the sea currents have this type of water flow.

Not a "jetstream" of direct water blast....

Do the noo-noo's look something like these ?

DSCF0479.jpg

I also had the same problem with micro bubbles and tried the same thing, gave up and bought powerheads for the sides of the tank eventually to give more uniform water movement ...

Hi Eric

Those are them, good clear pic what camera have you got? managed to get rid of my bubbles but still gonna put two of those power heads in!

zuv, correct flow is arguably more important that more flow. SO having a random chaotic sort of flow through out the system is really important and a wide dispersed flow seems to work far better for that. thats why the outlets of internal flow pumps in marine tanks are so much wider than the powerheads in fresh water. simply you want to MOVE water, not blast it, so that the detritus goes into the water collum and can be taken over the overflow to be sorted in the sump.

Hi Crispin

thanks for the info, what i've done is where the glass seperates the filter from the tank and where the pipe come out from the power heads i've put 90' bends in so that the flow of water is spread across the back of the tank, there are four points where the pipes come out two at the top where i have angled them to the outside of the tank (left and right) but angled slightly down and then the other two which sit midway in height they are facing towards the center but angled to the top of the tank. still intend to install two broad power heads at the back in each corner. not sure if thats the right way to go about it?

crispin- here is a pic of my tank, the red pipes you see at the back are the 90' bends that's what i'm talking about.
18654a5e40b1d5739.jpg

ok zuv, im with ya now:) pics are worth a thousand words.

those pipes are thin and really will give a concertrated jet of water, which isnt what you want in marines, but having them EXTERNAL like that is really great. I would start by pointing them towards each other, let the streams meet and crash into each other, that will break up the stream and give you a more chaotic flow. Thats an easy thing to do to start.

How much space do you have behind the panell to have pumps in there? You basically have a pump free tank which is really great, so if we can fit better pumps behind that pannel with a more diverse flow you may have a very nice nennie home tank there:) very cool.

also look at adding a little more LR to that tank before fish. (I know you are itching to get some pretty fish in there but giving them a little more structure will be good.

Its also great to hear that you have so many pods, if you have a sump, try get some cheato in there so they can multiply in peace and feed the tank over the next few years. I would also try let that population really get big before adding fish, with a string pop population your fish will settle and feed far better.

in all that tank is looking really good:)

Back
Top Bottom