New CPT Member

Discussion in 'New Members' started by LCornelius, 23 Jul 2010.

1. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Hi all,

I have been a member / forum lurker for the last year and a half.
    My apologies for only introducing myself now.

I’m a network engineer from Durbanville Cape Town. I fell in love with the ocean from a very young age. I almost drowned in the ocean as a 6 year old, but that did not change my views. I grew up surfing and diving and still enjoy visiting the 2 oceans aquarium ;)

I have one other expensive hobby, I play and collect guitars. So my wife suggested I start a marine tank as a hobby (I think to get me away from guitaring and metal). :thumbup:

I used to keep tropical fish, but as a teenager guitar rocking was way cooler than fish :yeahdude:

So I found the forum a year and a half ago and never stopped coming back!
    Without asking a single question I have learnt so much, so a big thank you to all the regular members for their posts!

Ok, so this is what I want to accomplish: have 3 different tanks in my house. I know I know, baby steps. This is a big project and one that needs time, allot of time! I understand that this is an expensive hobby and I’m prepared for the challenges and effort required. I have never started anything in my life without finishing it.

I would like to start out with a 1000 to 1500 liter display tank. I have learnt from the forum that bigger is better. This tank needs to be the main display tank, with corrals and lots and lots of nemo’s and dories. I’m a huge clownfish fan. :)

Once I have that experience (2 to 5 years) I would love to keep Lionfish in one tank and seahorses in another. I know, big dreams.

My plan is to start with the main tank in January 2011. This should leave me with enough time for planning and saving up for the tank. I’m planning to visit Dorry Pets in CPT in the next 3 weeks and introduce myself to Frans.

Cheers,
    Lean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hey Lean welcometomasa & remember we are here to learn & help so Good Luck:thumbup:

5. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome to MASA Lean , glad you finally came out of hiding :thumbup: You are more than welcome to pop by anytime...sometimes there are also other crazy reefers hanging around who will more than happily give you their 2 c !

6. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcometomasa

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome...

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Welcome dude! im also a very keen guitar player and have been shredding metal for 9 years now.

Great to hear your diving into the marine world but a 1000L tank is fairly large, bigger is better but also more expensive!! i would reccommend starting with a reef ready(drilled with sump) 200-500L tank but im still a noob with a 200L :)
    If you wanna have a look at my setup sometime to catch some basics, just pm me and i will be happy to oblige. I'm in gordons bay so whenever you feel like a drive.

Oh and nemos(amphiprion occelaris) are cool and cute at the same time!!

9. Dane

Dane

Welcome! And congrats for making the plunge!!! :-D
    PS: You are in the best of hands if frans is your local connection, he will only offer you good advice. Enjoy the madness bud!

10. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA great to have you on board.

11. crispin

crispin

hello lean and welcome to masa.
    it appears as you dont do anything in a hurry (like posting your first lines!) so that should stand you in good stead with marines.

i hope youve gotten guitaring out your system as i promise you reefing is alot more fun and neighbourhood friendly, although you may get some odd questions if your tank lights can be seen by the neighbours and you just have the actinics on, my previous neighbour was very concerned i might have a hpuse of ill repute with the wird lights i had in my living room. :)

1000l -1500l tanks are a great start, it will give you vollume for stability, the equipment is generally more forgiving as fine adjustments arent so critical and you have a far greater array of LS you can keep, so thats a great size to kick off with:)

good luck with the project, but dont wait untill Jan to get going, if you ahve the wifes permission get on it now, it really is great fun:)

welcome and happy posting

12. LCornelius

LCornelius Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks for the welcome messages guys!

Thanks Frans, will see you next Saturday :thumbup1:

I always knew one can have 2 hobbies :p

Had a good laugh Crispin, my neighbors would love for me to sell my 100w valve amp :thumbup:

I will be starting now, first the planning and then to start buying equipment. The plan is to have everything ready by the end of the year!

Recent Posts