New, clueless, eager

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Riekert Botha, 20 Jan 2016.

1. Riekert Botha

Riekert Botha

Like so many on this forum I am totally new to the world of aquariums. However, I have been fascinated by the sub-surface world since I was a newly divided egg (I think). Now I'm on the verge of purchasing a 200cmx60cmx60 marine tank/system with almost everything that opens and closes.

Or should I?

The systen I am looking at from phuturelabs include:
    Rock work / live rock
    Snails crabs urchins worms star fish
    Fish
    Coral
    Nitrate reactor
    uv steriliser
    Kalk reactor
    auto top off

Are there other offers/possibilities? What could one expect for R50 000 (for example).

Any advice would be welcome!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA. Powerlab do great builds. I'm sure you'll be happy with it if you buy it.

tekkengal likes this.
  4. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome to MASA. The marine road is an exciting world but an addictive one, enjoy the ride. With that budget you can get a pretty decent setup. Normally I would suggest starting out small to get to grips with this hobby first as it can throw a couple of curve balls. I have seen guys spend quite alot on a setup and then a couple of months down the line realise that reefing is not for them (due to various reasons) and then sell off everything for less than half of what they paid. I am not trying to scare you but rather research, research and more research before you spend alot of cash. There is plenty of options big and small and equally good looking tanks.

Guardian and tekkengal like this.
  5. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

masahello

+1 on what @EFJ said :)
    It is very difficult to say whether the tank is a good buy or not as there are other factors that need to be taken into account like:
    1. Age of equipment (e.g. older sun sun pumps will shock the life out of you)
    2. Equipment Brands (pay more for a brand name vs DIY)
    3. Type and health of livestock
    4. Quality of liverock (some may come with loads of pests and may be very problematic)
    etc.

Some of the equipment may not even be needed e.g. if you are only going to keep fish and not coral then something like a calcium reactor will not be of any use.

We can try to assist with the best bang for your buck and many forum users will be able to tell you the pros and cons of the equipment and stock that you would want. I would suggest that you also check out the forsale threads to get an idea of what you can get for R50k and what type of tank you want (reef; fowler; coral and invert only).

All the best and I hope you enjoy the adventure into the marine world! :)

TaahirS and EFJ like this.
  6. Riekert Botha

Riekert Botha Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I discovered Idol Marine last night. Are there others?

7. Riekert Botha

Riekert Botha Thread Starter

I am amazed by this site! I would appreciate your assistance greatly. Thanx.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Up here in Gauteng we do have a few more options than down in Cape Town.
    Down there you can try out Perky Pets. Aquatic Vision or Sams Aquarium.
    Check out the sponsors section.

Recent Posts