New CLS installed

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Way back in 2004 when I built my current tank, I installed the plumbing for three CLS systems, with the pipes running in the sand bed. I had three Eheim 1260 pumps, one on each of the loops, but found that they became clogged with detritus (and especially bubble algae...) within a week, and then I had to close the valves and disconnect the pumps to clean them. Although Eheim pumps are fantastic quality, I was scared that the weekly dismantling % cleaning would cause problems in the long term, so after about 3 weeks I just stopped the CLS's - and they have not worked since then.

About the same time (if I remember correctly :whistling:) I also upgraded my main circulation pump from a Little Giant 4-MD-SC to a Panworld 200-PS, and the Little Giant has been on pension since then... but not any more :thumbup:

I have just finished connecting the Little Giant to two of my old CLS loops. In the process, I have also added a single RO prefilter cannister in the intake loop. This filter will mainly be used to screen out large pieces of detritus (which could damage or block the pump), but will also be ideal for running carbon and/or PO4 remover. Cleaning the filter won't be any problem, as one only needs to close off two valves and unscrew the filter housing.

The Little Giant pump is rated at about 800 liters per hour at 0.3m head, and as it is an external, motor driven magnetic drive pump, it should add minimal heat to the system. Unfortunately I had to mount it quite a distance away from the tank (against a wall ), and the filter will also cut back a bit on flow, but it is a pressure rated pump, so that won't bother it too much.

Anyway, here's some photos...

The pump and filter mounted on a wall in my minute "tank room":

109496106e1ada47.jpg

The plumbing on the tank side...

109496107a0512a0.jpg

And a close-up of the RO Prefilter canister (without any filter element at the moment)

1094961073a6db87.jpg

Hennie

WOW Hennie! That is IMPRESSIVE plumbing there! Good on you! BTW: When you coming to Cape Town again! You are AWESOME company man!

I would just LOVE to show you my new skimmer!

A question regarding your CLS though: if you say 800 litres an hour, BUT PRESSURE RATED: WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT MEAN?

I have given my Boyu 26000 litre/hour pump in for repairs - 3 months ago already - and Builder's have given me a Speck pump in return to "use in the meanwhile" - I believe that the Speck pumps are also "pressure rated" pumps rather than litres/hour rated.......

What exactly does this mean?

Thanks, Guys :)

Just doing a static leak test through the night, and allowing the PVC Weld to fully set - will start her up tomorrow morning if everything works out OK - then we'll see what it will do for the flow in the tank...

I believe that the Speck pumps are also "pressure rated" pumps rather than litres/hour rated.......

What exactly does this mean?

It simply means that the pump will move water against pressure much more efficiently than non-pressure rated pumps (such as our normal impeller-type pumps...)

With a "normal" pump such as an Eheim, Tunze or Boyu, if the back pressure is high the impeller will just turn, but will not displace (pump) much water, whilst a "pressure pump" actually forces water into the pipe and can thus pump against pressure. the Little Giant is a mag drive pump, and although it still has an impeller, it is designed to positively displace water. My particular Little Giant model has a maximum (no-flow) head of over 7 meters, and the Pan World has a maximum head of 10.0 meter (and can still supply 50 liters per minute at a head of 6.5 meters!

won't the flow be to strong for carbon or PO4 remover.

Good point. I think that it should be OK for GAC, but it would probably be too strong for PO4 remover - I guess that I will find out soon enough...

Hennie

looks great, what is the blue piping, i am battling to find it, next tank will have better plumbing

Eish Hennie, cannot wait for you to come visit this side. So many questions I have for you. Nice and neat plumbing jobs

Can see you're an engineer from a mile away :p

Nice work.

what is the blue piping, i am battling to find it

It's PVC piping. You should be able to buy it from any decent irrigation equipment supplier or irrigation contractor - I'm not sure, but perhaps Builder's Warehouse might stock them as well. For sure you should be able to find them (and their gray fittings) from your local farmers co-op.

HTH
Hennie

OK, here's a bit of history - these photos were taken in May 2004, showing the details of the CLS plumbing inside the tank.

The pipes running on the floor of the tank, in what will be the deep live sand bed. You can see two of the discharge points, and one intake point (the white drain gully) - I specifically opted to have large diameter water intakes, so as to reduce the suction at these points to prevent any animal from being sucked into the intake. The blue pipe visible at the top of the tank is what later became known as a "Calfo Manifold" - this is a set of 8 discharge points for the sump return - looks like Mr. Calfo and I had the same idea, I just never published mine :whistling: :

10949617c2988983.jpg

A side view of the same...

10949617c5eb4548.jpg

And the original Eheim pumps:

10949617ca97826c.jpg

I am happy to report that there have been no water leaks through the night.

Just waiting for the shops to open this morning, as I need to buy an insert for the filter, before I can start the pump - will keep everyone updated on performance once everything is running smoothly.

Hennie

- these photos were taken in May 2004,

The blue pipe visible at the top of the tank is what later became known as a "Calfo Manifold" - this is a set of 8 discharge points for the sump return - looks like Mr. Calfo and I had the same idea, I just never published mine :whistling: :

Hennie

:lol:, but you have the dates on the photos- claim copyrights;)

...check the softboard under the pumps

LOL - Bitumen Impregnated Softboard nogal - we don't want it to go "vrot"...

The Little Giant pump is rated at about 800 liters per hour at 0.3m head

Just a correction here - I stupidly looked at the GALLON per hour rate - the LITERS per hour is something like 2900, and not 800 :blushing: (mumble, mumble: stupid imperial measurements should have become obsolete MANY years ago, but no - the @£$%^&* Yanks don't want to change, so we're all stuck with it @£$%^& mumble, mumble...)

Anyway, the pre-filter is installed, and the CLS is working - not as well as I had hoped, but the filter is "choking" it a bit, and pumps are called PUMPS and not SUCKS for a reason - will be removing the pre-filter element and replacing with something a bit more pervious before the day is through. (Note to myself: hurry up, only 4 days left of your holiday...)

Hennie

looks great, what is the blue piping, i am battling to find it, next tank will have better plumbing

Sorry to 'jack Hennie - Howzit Dallasg - I got this at a small irrigation shop in Fourways, in the Leaping Frog centre on William Nichol drive - he has 25mm, 32mm and 50mm PVC pipes and every concievable connector.

No problem, mnd123 :)

For sure you should be able to find them (and their gray fittings) from your local farmers co-op.

Oh no - I only noticed now that dallasg lives in Sandton - he probably does not even know what a farmer's co-op looks like :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for that...
Hennie

No problem, mnd123 :)

Oh no - I only noticed now that dallasg lives in Sandton - he probably does not even know what a farmer's co-op looks like :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for that...
Hennie

haha nice one, will let it slide :razz:

never mind that, what is a farmer?

never mind that, what is a farmer?
Oh, they are real people, driving really dirty 4x4's on REAL dirt roads (unlike you Sandtonites) - they grow our steak, chops, bacon, eggs and mieliepap :whistling:

Hennie

hehe, not all sandtonites are what u think...
i rough it, can handle a 4x4, drive thru mozambique like its childs play....
and i am vegetarian, so they grow my veggies....

Back
Top Bottom