New cell phone???

Discussion in 'Technology' started by chikaboo, 27 Aug 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK all you cellphone techno freaks! Time for me to cash in one of my employees talking points - all 2000 of them - since I subsidize his airtime I get to keep the new phone - some suggestions please?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Do you like touch-screen phones, Chikaboo? Do you or have you played with Samsung phones before?

I have the Samsung Pixon (GT-M8800). Absolutely fantastic phone. 8 Megapixel camera. HSDPA 7.2 mbps internet access. JAVA GUI on Symbian OS.
    Touch screen with accellerometer (sp?) - 16 million color screen....

Only 2 things about this phone - is that it's alliminium body makes it slightly heavier than other phones, and it's battery life is about 2 days - with about 1 hour talking.... (including blue-tooth usage, and internet usage).

I am happy with it. Have a look at the phone. You might like it?

4. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Thanx jacquesb but I am not a samsung fan thats the wife's brand! I am using a Nokia N95 at the moment. I am looking at using the new phone only for mobile internet and by the way as a spare telephone - The guys showed me a samsung s7350 with only R783 for me to pay in! If I take the pixon I will have to fork out R3063 - I need something with excellent battery life so I can play on MASA day and night;)

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

chicaboo did you have a look at the Nokia n97 mega memory...

6. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

I did thanks Riyad - Also too much to pay in - over R4431! Anyone using the Samsung S5233 STAR? I can get that for free!

7. Jaak

Jaak

If you want unlimited mobile internet then the Blackberry range is the best option!

8. FransSny

FransSny

HTC Max4G

9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, not and expensive phone, does not have all the bells and whistles like some others (so it does not crash like some of the others :) )but Gr8 for surfing the web etc. I even have it connected to my home network. Been using it for about a week now very happy.

10. wiesnerm

wiesnerm

I agree with Shaun. I upgraded to the Nokia 5800 :)thumbup:) beginning of June and very happy with the phone. Surfing the net is a breeze and the quality of the screen is very good.

My wife is using the Samsung STAR, but my preference is still the Nokia (PS: I have only used Nokia phones from the beginning...)

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

What are your options?

12. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Still not too familiar with blackberry range:blush: But will look into it Thanx Jaak

Thanx Frans but HTC not 1 of my available options:(

Looked at the reviews Shaun very nice:thumbup: so getting short listed between the Samsung STAR and Samsung S7350 and this 1 - thanx Shaun

Thanks wiesman - I too am a nokia fan and wife loves her samsungs will go today and look at the phones today

Hey buddy looks like boils down to Nokia 5800 - Samsung STAR and Samsung S7350

13. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

i have the htc diamond and it's not water friendly if your going to be near water dont get a htc.!!

14. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

:lol: At the Vodashop they actually showed me a phone with some sort of rubberized outer covering that can manage a few water spills!

15. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

thats what i need! a waterproof phone

16. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

If you go for a touch screen make sure it has a censor that disables the screen when you hold it you your ear when you talk. A friend has a Samsung that does not and he ends up pushing numbers on the screen when he talks, very annoying. The Nokia has the censor. :whistling:

17. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Thanx Shaun you talking about the proximity sensor - first time reading on the specs was wondering if this was like a park distance sensor;) I was puzzled thinking where can I "park" my phone - silly me! Now it makes sense to me whats the sensor for!

18. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Yip the proximity sensor, very useful thing.

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Shaun / Chikaboo - my Pixon has that sensor too.... and it does the same thing - disables the touch-screen when I hold the phone against my ear to talk......

20. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

dude sorry i am out dont know about any of them lost interest in cell phones a few years ago. LOL after i went through about 5 in 15 months

21. seank

seank

Waterproof phone is a Samsung. Bought one for the boat. It sells for R1700. Ben, good pics,you must get yourself one, and leave it in your boat. N96 also very very scared of water and moisture

Recent Posts