New, but old

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Barista, 6 Apr 2012.

1. Barista

Barista

Hi tankers

I have always had a fishtank and have now got my children hooked :)

As always with kids, what you have is never glamorous enough. So it's time to return to serious stuff and design a proper set-up. I have always had tropical tanks, but am now wanting to start fresh with a marine home.

The space I have available is 1000W X 500D and no height restrictions. To be honest I have not thought of a budget or have any idea of what the cost will be to set-up. (properly) I do not want to start with everything, just to find out that I have to change everything down the line, so I would prefer to start slowly and add the correct item when the cashflow allows.

Any suggestions about tank material, ideal size and who to contact/where to purchase in CPT would be greatly appreciated;)

Barista

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:Here is a List of our Sponsors...I'm not sure who is where, but you should find all the Info on them...
    Sponsors Forums - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I can think of: SAMS Aquarium...Perky Pets...Two Oceans Aquatic and Oceanson Aquarium...I know there is more, but they are not yet updated on the Sponsors Map...so I'm not sure "where" they are situated...

Last edited: 6 Apr 2012
  5. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

hello and welcome.

Well depth will determine total cost of the system. Very deep, like 800mm or deeper and you have to go up on your lights to metal halides, also include chiller to counter the heat of the metal halides. And you cannot reach the bottom of the tank. But the view is nice.

Shallow tanks, 600 and less, then T5 is ok. Less than 450 and LEDS is ok. There are some leds units out there that can do the deep thing, but sit down before you hear the price. (unless you go DIY)

Length of 1000mm by 500mm is nice enoubh, but on 500 front to back, placing your rock work is a lot more challenging than on a tank that is wider. Not to say it cannot be done. The rock work will just be more upright and you have to ensure that it is stable.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to our forum. Some reading for you in my signature that might be helpful to a beginner :)

8. erratiC

erratiC

welcometomasa

9. Barista

Barista Thread Starter

Re: warm welcome

Thank you for a friendly welcome:biggrin:

All this info is making my head pain! If anyone knows of a reputeable tank builder in CPT, I would appeciate your input. I would like to build a tank to fit available space using a S/Steel frame that's cladded.

Marius

10. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!:thumbup:

11. Arries

Arries

Try Aqua Concepts..They are in northgate estate next to canalwalk..I have seen some of the tanks they build custom and it looks super good...Im not sure if perky, elite or aquatic do custom builds..Give them a call...0215116340...

P.S. Mods if i am not allowd to give deatails of a non sponsor then plz remove this post...

12. Barista

Barista Thread Starter

Tank dimensions

This is what I had in mind, dimensions of L-Shape Base = 450+1100W X 660+710D X 900H. Tank height = 600 and canopy is another 300H. This makes the total height 1800 with a tank acapacity of 700Lt. Are these dimensions crazy or do-able

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/imagehosting/57644f81c4643a7d3.jpg[/img][/url]

Recent Posts