New but not New !!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jagman, 19 Jan 2013.

1. jagman

jagman

Hey people !! Back again with an empty tank. Been thinking about what to do with it and have decided to give the marine side another go ! It was an awesome tank before and can deffinately be better !

Been thinking about the return from the tank and the DSB. I've never really been happy with either one of them and always land up being diffuicult to maintain.

I know this is gonna take months to get to where I want it but I have the patience !

I am definately goint to "reefscape" the back wall and the side of the tank. It seems that the rock that the petshops sell tend to be bloody expensive and I dont really like the stuff anyways. Is the any information out there as to what material can be used ? I have a whole stack of "high density foam" that I can 'play' with. I doubt if this will have any adverse affects but please correct me if I am wrong !

I am going to strip the whole tank down now and will make sure to take a whole stack of picture as I go along.

Chat to you guys soon !!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Welcome back jagman...

Read....your best friend at the moment... Enjoy the start-up:)

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Welcome Back...:thumbup:

5. Dillan

Dillan

6. Rossi

Rossi

Welcome back!

7. Ayoob

Ayoob

Welcome again:thumbup:

8. Clowning

Clowning

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Welcome back.

You mean the overflow, not happy with the design?

DSB, what was your issues? What is your tank sizes? And your sump sizes. And return pump rating.

10. the fish

the fish

masahelloagain.

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome.

12. jagman

jagman Thread Starter

@RiaanP
    I've always hated having to listen to the return gurgling in the background while watching TV and just found it annoying ! I am going to try quieten, if not silence it completely ! I haven't got the tank sizes offhand but pull pull out the tapemeasure tonight. Going to get rid of the old timber stand that the system is on now and have an idea of building it into a bookcase\desk sort of thing whit steel frame and board\veneer cladding. Most of all it has to be silent, simple and as close to foolproof as possible !

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

Riaan helped me with my 'noisy return'...
    No 90* bends (rather 2 x 45*), n no vertical drop. Also where the pipe enters the sump i installed a 50mm to 110mm off-set pipe, cut 45* from the bottom up (almost touching the sump base glass) drill 4 x 6mm holes in the off-set n hey presto... silence. just another point, by using the 110mm pipe it offered me a place to install my bio-cubes with plenty of flow and aeration. Riaan also advised on using a 'sewerage' type valve on the uptake...anyways... good-luck n all that positive stuff! :thumbup:

14. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Welcome back @jagman:thumbup:

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

16. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Nice Idea Riaan:thumbup:

17. jagman

jagman Thread Starter

Hey guys and girls ! So I have been reading and reading and .............. !! Eyes are starting to go square now !
    So far I have come up with a few ideas on the new system that I am going to put together. Seeing as I spend a fair amount of my time either working or playing on the pc, I am going to set it all up as a sort of bookcase / backdrop to my desk.
    I have also been cleaning out the stock room at work (working for a yachtbuilding company does seem to have benifits for a marine tank owner !) and have found a few thru hull fittings that are saltwater specific ! Joys are that all this stuff is plastic and work damned well ! I also have raided my dead stock boxes and found a whole stack of 12v lighting and pumps !
    Now all that is left is for me to find a steel supplier and then I have got a weekend of work ahead of me !

Chat to you all again soon !!

18. jagman

jagman Thread Starter

Found some 12v high powered LED's so gonna "play" tomorrow. Also found a few adjustable 12v halogen type lights that I might try out. Power supply for all of this is another story ! Finally got out the tape and measured the tanks !
    DT ~ L140 x B43 x D48
    Sump ~ L65 x B35 x D37
    Works out to around 370 liters.

19. jagman

jagman Thread Starter

Hey guys !!
    Whats the latest new on marine sump / refugium ?

I was planning on a slight bigger surface area than the current sump I have but it will be slightly shallower ! Rough estimate is (L)1000mm x (B)400mm x (H)250mm.
    I am aiming at a DSB depth of 150mm and surface area as big as possible?

Any ideas ?

20. jagman

jagman Thread Starter

Hello everyone !
    So far all that I have read says that "bigger is better" when it comes to the DSB so here is the million dollar question. If I take a "shallow tank, roughly 300mm in height, which would allow a DSB depth of 150-200mm, which could basically be almost half the size of the DT footprint, and have the DT overflow into it. (Of course with the neccessary baffles etc) The DSB would then overflow into the sump. The return pump to the DT would of course be in the sump. Having the three "tiers" would free up a ton of space in the sump !

The other question is the skimmer. Maybe somone could clarify why it is needed and exactly where to plumb it into the system so that it does not remove nutrients going to the DSB or remove the pods etc that would be food to the DT.

Thoughts ?

Cheers !!
    :peroni:

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Skimmer is normally the first piece of equipment in a system. Mechanical, biological then chemical, that is the preferred filtration sequence.

Adding another remote DSB can be done. I got my system basically like that. but instead of the display overflowing to the remote DSB, I had 2 return pumps. One to the display and the other to the remote DSB. The remote DSB is higher than the main sump so that it overflows back to main sump. Mine comes back into the second chamber of the main sump so that beneficial pods can migrate back to main sump.

In your case, with 3 tiers, that will work as well. Pump up to the middle tier and have it overflow back to main sump.

Recent Posts