New Boyu TL-550 Whats the best plan?

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by marinet&t, 29 Jun 2009.

1. marinet&t

marinet&t

Hi All,

Well I am a newbie, so here goes,

I recently bought a Boyu TL-550.
    With the deal I got 4 kg of Kenya LR.

I far as I know I should take out all of the filter media that came with it. My plan is to go to my LFS and buy ready made water also to get some Purigen, Chemi-pure-elite and RowaPhos as filter media for the back of the unit.

The plan is to put filter floss in the 1st unit, the original protein skimmer in the 2nd unit, the Purigen, Chemi-pure-elite and the RowaPhos in the 3rd unit and then the heater and the pump in the 4th unit. Should I add LR to one of the back units? If yes, is this absolutely necessary?

I know I should get more LR, but how much more is sufficient for the DT for biological filtration. 10-15kg? I don’t like the look of it being overcrowded by rock.

I also looked at a power-head / pump of 2400l/h would this be ok for the tank size.
    The boyu pump that I looked at; I think I should be able to place it in the back part with the flow of it in the DT. Don’t really know if this is going to be possible, but I think it’s going to have a cleaner look.

I don’t plan on changing the lighting or anything ells – is this set-up going to be ok and what kind of corals would I be able to keep?

What make of test kit would be ok to begin with?
    I have also heard that only strontium supplementation is necessary for a begin and not calcium.

With so many different inputs on these topics I would appreciate some unified advice.

Many Thanks
    MarineT&T

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RUAN

RUAN

masahello

4. werner5

werner5

hi there and welcome to masa the best marine site

welcometomasa

5. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

6. FransSny

FransSny

welcome marinet&t

if I am correct your tank has an volume of about 130 L (not an expert on the Boyu models) aim for 1 KG / 10 LTR.

With regards to Purigen, Rowaphos & Chemipure.......I take it you are not planning to put them ALL in....all of them are basically the same

As for what you can keep....why not just take it slow, start with a CUC and some easy to keep fish, if you really want corals mushrooms are hardy and easy to keep.

You say recently, how long have your tank been running

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

marinet&t...WELCOME TO MASA

8. Apollo

Apollo

Hey Marine T&T,

Welcome to MASA !

FransSny has already answered most of your questions.
    I would agree that it is not necessary to use Chempure elite , RowaPhos and Purigen at the same time.

Chempure Elite is a combined phos removal and carbon compound. I have been running only Chem pure elite in my Boyu for the last 7 months and can report that I'm very happy with the product.

Insofar the flow is concerned ; 2400lph will not be enough IMO.
    I can't remember what the flow rate of the Boyu return pump is (I think 1000 lph ??), but you should aim for approx 30 times water turnover in your system.
    To give you an example: I run a Boyu TL450 with a 1000lph return pump in the filter compartment and a Seio M620 (2400lph) in the display tank. This gives me approx 55 times water turnover , which is rather high but the tank inmates love it .:thumbup:
    It also keeps any detritus in suspension in the water column , from where it is skimmed off.

The standard lighting on your Boyu of 2 x 24W PC's (I think this is the rating :p) will be OK for softies and most LPS's. Check the individual lighting requirements of corals though, before deciding what to buy. If you are going to consider keeping SPS at some stage though , you would need to upgrade your lighting significantly.

Test kits : IMO , if your budget allows go for either Tropic Marin or ELOS. They are reliable and reputable kits.

Lastly , as word on supplements:

IMO, I would not add anything to the water at this point in time. Your regular weekly waterchanges will take care of the replenishment of calcium and other trace elements. You are running a small volume of water , so once again IMO I do not think that you would need to add any supplements . Once you are keeping SPS's ( and also some LPS's) you may find that the calcium is used up at a greater rate than what your waterchanges will replenish and thus it would be necessary for your to supplement this element.

If you are insistent on dosing , please make sure you read up thoroughly on what you ar dosing and the reasons why you are dosing. There is a lot of information on the web and also on this forum regarding dosing , and you will notice that there are differeces of opinion when it comes to dosing.

Golden rule in this case : If you cannot test for it , don't add it !

Im my case , I do not currently dose anything to the tank. Only regular weekly waterchanges , and all parameters are kept well in check.;)

Good luck with your ventures. Enjoy the adventure !

9. marinet&t

marinet&t Thread Starter

Thanks Apollo and all for the welcome.

Should I do weekly water changes when the tank is cycling? I have read that this only delays the cycle. - Or only after I add fish or coral or the CUC begin with the water changes?

Besides the chemical question (that you have answerd) - is the setup for the back filtration part correct?

Regards
    MarineT&T

10. Apollo

Apollo

Marine T&T,

IMO , I would most certainly do waterchanges . Best to get into the habit from the start. Bear in mind that the bacteria are in the rock and not in the water, so you are not really "throwing out" any biological filter agents when doing waterchanges.

I've done waterchanges since my tank started up. The cycle completed itself within approx 4-5 weeks . Of course every tank is different, so don't take this as a measure. All I'm trying to illustrate is that IMO doing waterchanges did not delay the cycling.;)

11. marinet&t

marinet&t Thread Starter

Hi All,

Just a quick question.

Do I need to dechlor the RO water for top-ups?

12. Apollo

Apollo

Marine T&T,

No. You do not need to dechlorinate the RO Water.
    The reverse osmosis process takes care of removing chloramines , heavy metals and other nasties.

13. marinet&t

marinet&t Thread Starter

Freshwater Discus Ph 6.5 phosphate buffer and chemipure-elite

Hi there,

Just a question for my freshwater tank.

I have chemipure-elite in as filter media. It says on the "API's proper PH 6.5" that this product is a phosphate buffer; will this affect the phosphate removing capability of the chemi pure elite or will it help it allong. This is spesific for the discus's I have.

Can I use these 2 together. - 1 is for removing phosphates so that unwated alge
    would grow and the other is to keep the PH down and acidic for the discus.

Please help.

Thanks

14. noproblem

noproblem

I've had my tank since december and as the bug has taken hold i have done all the above upgrades. I have now removed the lid and am running a MH/ T5 Led pendant and will also fitting a agea scrubber this week , will post pics soon.

Recent Posts