New Beginnings

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ferrit, 13 Jan 2015.

1. Ferrit

Ferrit

Hey guys,

So been around in the marine hobby for a while now, and after a move from the eastern cape (where it was awesome to pop through the the Kei for a puddle hop and dive to stock up on Marines)...

So moving to CPT, I have decided to start small with a Nano for now.

600mmx 320mm x 350m high. water line to 330mm.

Will list the equipment tonight, but basically...

Internal filter, protein skimmer, aquaclear, wave maker and then a lighting unit with 2x t5's.

Tank will have 2 holes drilled into it tonight, and then will fit a small overflow.

2kgs of kenya live rock and 2kgs of fiji live rock so far.

the plan is to start small with Softies and LPS.

and then intime adding a sump to the bottom with the same dimensions as the tank, however with a better skimmer, and more live rock and some macro algae, connecting it to the running tank to add water volume. and an upgrade on the lighting...

OR leave it as is as a pure softies and LPS, and do a 600mmx600mm cube for SPS.

I will post pics of the progress for the build.

Any suggestions for a place to get substrate in CPT? everyone seems to have 13kg/10kg bags of live substrate.

any suggestions on where i can get 5-6kgs of substrate would be appreciated even donations would be awesome to have all those little critters haha)

I am also looking for possibly another 2kgs of rocks (but would prefer SMALL pieces/break offs, so that i am able to use marine putty to mould the rockwork to exactly what i want) so suggestions on where to look would also be awesome.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

WELCOME TO MASA

sounds like you have everything that you need to get started... you could use a product called aquamend which I get from mica which sets under water or you could use pratley putty which you would use out of the water (I think ) go to one of the local pet shops I know they usually sell sand by the kg send some pic of the setup

BTW a few good pieces of live rock will seed your sand with all those good critters u are looking for

Last edited: 13 Jan 2015
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

hello and welcome @Ferrit

sounds like you got everything you need equipment wise to start with.
    I will keep it a softy tank, just my preference.

Post a thread in the wanted section for the sand and rock you need.

5. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys,
    @RiaanP the idea on SPS is literally a birdsnest or Elk horn in the one corner of the tank. have done it before in the past with Nano's and really like the look.

With regards to substrate, manage to sort it out last night.

added some rocks (more to follow this weekend, wanting to get another 2-3 kgs), water and then bacteria. tank still a bit murky but clearing up nicely.

tried uploading pics, but uploader not working at work, so promise to post progress pics tonight

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

[​IMG]

the start

[​IMG]

7. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

In terms of Coral, mainly Zoo gardens throughout the tank. Trumpets, one or two mushrooms, Frogspawn and lastly either a pink birds nest or elk horn. Thats the definites, will add more random pieces when i find things i like.

Fish wise...

Pair of tank bred clowns (Black)
    sixline Wrasse
    Cleaner Shrimp
    Flame Angel
    and possibly a blenny or goby

and then a clean ub crew, blue legged crabs and turbo snails

8. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

masahello

You can stalk the for sale sections for the rock and sand. There are some good items that you can find there.

The zoa garden will make for a great looking tank especially when all the rocks are covered. @GTH has a great tank going so you can check his tank out for inspiration as well :)
    The Zoa Garden, Lost City of Atlantis - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Nice selection of fish as well. The flame angel will really add colour and character to the tank.

Keep us posted on your progress!

9. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

thanks for this :)

I have found some smaller pieces of live rock 200g-500g pieces, so can create rockwork exactly how i want it.

Yeah cant wait for the flame, but will add it last in about 6 months from now. So in the interim I may try and get a Jumping Bean sent from the eastern cape

but will definitely hunt the sale section for frags

tekkengal likes this.
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A sixline wrasse, although small, is not really suitable for a very small tank. Reason is that they hunt down your copepods. And in your stocking list you do not have any other grazing or vegetarian fish. So most of your algae would be consumed by copepods but with an active predator like a sixline around, their numbers would never be high enough to keep the algae growth under control.

Unless you do up your filtration capabilities, rather rethink the sixline option.

11. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

The most fun part of setting up the tank is the rockwork (although some may disagree with me :tt2: ). Hope you have lots of fun with this part! The only annoying this is that sometimes you will create a shape that you like, then try and change a few things and try to go back to the original design but it never looks the same. :m85:

The bean may end up fighting with the flame so make sure you have a contingency plan if they start fighting ;)

12. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

yeah the jumping Bean is until i get the flame and will be removed. I am just wanting it for the orange colour.

love doing the rock work, thats also why I am hunting for the smaller pieces and will use putty to make it lok exactly how I like it. I have a very specific design in mind :biggrin:

in terms of the sixline and copepods, I am not too stressed as i had a sixline in a TL450 for years in a similar setup.

If i see that he isnt looking as well i will remove him. I am contemplating some sort of algae grazer. just havent seen much that REALLY stands out. I am wanting fish to "pop" with my zoos. So any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

there are not a lot of smaller grazing fish. Especially that pops up due to color.

Alternative could be a orchid gramma. Or Midas blennie or both. For the color.

14. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

|Have had an Orchid Gramma before. Didnt consider it this time because of the sixline idea and its not much of a grazer as far as i know.

the blenny may be something to look at though but may get anthias instead (just 1 or 2).

Yeah finding a crazy grazer for my nano has been a mission in the past. so considering using about 5 turbo snails

Last edited: 15 Jan 2015
  15. Dexter

Dexter

Jumping Beans is Hitler on steroids....They are very agro little fish....I had one it quickly became the boss of the tank....I will rather go with the Anthias or the Gramma. Both are really cool fish

16. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

I find they are hit and miss.

I have had comepletely mentally agro ones in the past, and then a REALLY passive one. had it with a coral beauty and Bi colour in a 1.2m tank. the coral beauty was added last but was the most agro out of these three.

Fortunately the Bean is just a temporary solution to the orange until i can replace it with the flame, it was either a bean or a bi colour (but knowing me i wouldnt remove the bi colour (love its colours) and would just add the flame but this may cause issues in the nano so trying to keep far away from this plan). I am truly hoping that i can find a small enough one now with them coming out in the eastern cape. Trying to get my brother to catch one and send it up to CPT, as i wont be going to the EC for the rest of the year.

With regards to this, anyone have any experience shipping live stock and frags overnight? just want to know who to use etc so i can get quotes.

17. 4age

4age

@Ferrit..I have some small pieces of cycled live rock if you are interested.pm me

Ferrit likes this.
  18. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

OKay, after a useless weekend of being out all day i wasnt able to get much done in terms of adding more rock to the tank etc.

I will add more this evening or tomorrow.

still on the stocking ideas. I will be adding a pair of clowns soon, with a cleaner shrimp and clean up crew. probably 2 weeks from now.

I am however on the hunt for a small jumping bean (2-4cm max), so if anyone has caught or has spare or even has a store bought one that isnt working in their tank please let me know.

will obvisouly cover transport costs etc.

19. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Anyone in CPT got some frags of the following they wanna sell?

Pulsing Xenia, StarPolys (looking for metalic), shrooms, alvepora, ZOooooooooos :)

20. 4age

4age

@Ferrit I might have some softies n lps if u interested. Pop me a pm

21. Ferrit

Ferrit Thread Starter

@4age, thanks mate.

hopefully the skimmer will make a big diff too.

will post some pics tonight

Recent Posts