new at this!

Reaction score
I have kept tropical tanks on and off till now. After a long break I am trying my hand at a reef tank. Capacity 91 litres. I set up the tank about 3 weeks ago. I have a Fluval 305 canister filter - pump output 1000 litres per hour. Prizm hang-on skimmer, 2 Powerheads, 15kg Indonesian liverock. So far I have only seen a type of worm and a small crab. Don't know if they are a bonus or pests!
I am considering buying an RO unit. Advice on that would be greatly appreciated too.
I have not taken any photos yet. In fact, I have the tank set up temporarily on the verandah but must make a plan soon to move it inside.
I live in Somerset West. Know anyone near here with same interest? I would like to meet them.
Jurgen

Welcome to MASA Jurgen,
R/O units are very good, you can guarantee the purity of your water much more than when buying it from your LFS, get a 3 stage 50gal per day unit with DI unit attached (the lfs will know)

Crabs in general are mainly ok unitl they reach a large size, then they become opportunistic and may go for sleeping fish. Most worms are cool detrivores so a good freebie, but many have bristles so best not touch them.
What do you have in the cannister filter? i would recommend you remove all sponges and ceramic rings and just keep rowaphos and carbon (in filter bags or bits of stocking)

Welcome to MASA

I'm sure there a few guy out that way.

Try checking the USER CP's (left hand top corner of your MASA tool bar), most guys fill in were they live.

Cheers, feel free to ask all the questions you want.:thumbup:

Hi jurgen

Keyaam works in the area were you live, he mentioned a pets store which does marines

in the Somerset West area. If you PM him I'm sure he will be more than prepared to

help.

Please let me know if you don't come right. I can give you some if you are prepared to

ride to Uitzight in Durbanville.

Hi jurgen

Keyaam works in the area were you live, he mentioned a pets store which does marines

in the Somerset West area. If you PM him I'm sure he will be more than prepared to

help.

Please let me know if you don't come right. I can give you some if you are prepared to

ride to Uitzight in Durbanville.

Thank you. I have contacted Keyaam (I think). Still new at this!

Hi Jurgen - A very WARM WELCOME to MASA! Thanks for joining us! Great to have you on board!

Jurgen - sounds like you have started off quite nicely. The 3 biggest things in keeping marines, are:
1) PATIENCE
2) keeping the water parameters very stable
3) keeping nutrients VERY low (or as low as possible)

The canister filter is a great method to run phosphate remover material in, as well as activated carbon it. BUT not filtration sponges/noodles/bio-balls/filter-wool....
The canister filter can end up increasing the nitrates to unacceptable levels.... over a period of time.

The best forms of filtration in a reef tank, are:
- live rock (the highest quality life rock you can afford)
- DSB (deep sand bed - substrate/sand with a particle size smaller than 1mm in size, where the sand bed is between 120mm and 150mm deep)
- skimmer
- macro algae (ie. chaetomorpha species, or some people use caulerpa species) scrubber

Please have a read through the other "New Members" threads as well - many of your questions could possibly be answered over there.... as well as giving you some nice ideas of what to do next as well...

Good luck with your venture!

Hi Jurgen - A very WARM WELCOME to MASA! Thanks for joining us! Great to have you on board!

Jurgen - sounds like you have started off quite nicely. The 3 biggest things in keeping marines, are:
1) PATIENCE
2) keeping the water parameters very stable
3) keeping nutrients VERY low (or as low as possible)

The canister filter is a great method to run phosphate remover material in, as well as activated carbon it. BUT not filtration sponges/noodles/bio-balls/filter-wool....
The canister filter can end up increasing the nitrates to unacceptable levels.... over a period of time.

The best forms of filtration in a reef tank, are:
- live rock (the highest quality life rock you can afford)
- DSB (deep sand bed - substrate/sand with a particle size smaller than 1mm in size, where the sand bed is between 120mm and 150mm deep)
- skimmer
- macro algae (ie. chaetomorpha species, or some people use caulerpa species) scrubber

Please have a read through the other "New Members" threads as well - many of your questions could possibly be answered over there.... as well as giving you some nice ideas of what to do next as well...

Good luck with your venture!

I see I have a lot to learn but realise too that I have come to the right place to learn. Thanks for advice - don't understand all of it though. I will take your advice and go through other threads. Taking a while to familiarise myself with this site.

Back
Top Bottom