New at this

Discussion in 'New Members' started by AeroEng, 3 Jan 2014.

1. AeroEng

AeroEng

Hi everyone

So a few months ago I wanted to build a fish tank under an espresso bar. At the time I had no knowledge of ANYTHING to do with fish keeping and barely knew the differences between freshwater and saltwater setups. All I wanted was that the tank look good and need the least maintenance possible. I literally walked into a pet store and relied solely on the advice dished out by the salesman (I feel really silly for doing that in retrospect).

A LOT has changed since then. The more I read, the more interested I became in a marine set-up. Whilst there's a lot of information online, it can sometimes be overwhelming, especially when you new to something. I found this forum extremely useful in collating all information needed for beginners and being local, it means that suppliers and resources are often easily accessible.

I have not got any livestock as I want all the necessary kit before starting, and rather be patient then rushing and messing up my tank.

So far my kit includes:
    - The Tank - 620mm x 340mm x 340mm
    - ViaAqua 902 filter
    - Current USA orbit marine LED 24"

Next planned purchases:
    - Reef Angel Plus Controller (I had intended to go for the Seneye device but the RA makes more sense)
    - Test Kits
    - Wavemaker

A few questions:
    - Do I need a protein skimmer given that my tank is so small and would I be ok not to get one if I'm religious about water changes?
    - Is there any other equipment I may need before starting the cycling with live rock?

My goal is to have a complete reef setup. I know that this may be challenging and a steep learning curve for a beginner but I'm prepared to invest all the necessary time and effort to get it going.

Hope to learn lots from you folks.

Thanks
    Meilan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome :)
    No, I wouldn't bother, if you're going to be religious with your water changes then you'll be fine. But leave the tank for the first 2 months or so, let it establish itself and settle down before you start doing water changes.
    A good quality heater.
    A source for good quality RO water for top-ups due to evaporation.

4. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I would rather hold on the controller until you become a bit more accustomed to reefing. Start of simple and then later on when you are used to reefing then decide what would you add to your tank to assist you and your tank. Most guys start off small and end up going bigger which means new equipment etc. Remember patience plays a big part of this hobby!!!!

5. AeroEng

AeroEng Thread Starter

Thanks Viper. I ordered an RO unit from Waterboy. I decided to ditch the internal filter and get a Hydor Slim Skim Nano instead. Seemed to take up to much of the tanks limited space.

Will also get a TDS meter and refractometer from Waterboy.

6. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

:welcometomasa2:

Recent Posts