new aquarium help

Discussion in 'New Members' started by swazi_poison, 17 Dec 2012.

1. swazi_poison

swazi_poison

Hello everybody at Marineaquariumsa

I have recently had the privilege of setting up a 300L tank with 100 l sump roughly. I really did not know much about saltwater aquariums but have had to cram in as much knowledge as i can find on the internet. tank dimensions are 900mm 600mmm 600mm The tank has already been setup and has been running since last week Wednesday. Dont know if i can post manufactures names and not sure of the model numbers but the chiller and the protein skimmer can handle larger tanks reef octopus skimmer i think 2000 model, Hepila chiller rated for 800l, and also reef octopus bio pellet rector,return pump is reef octopus rated for 3000l p/h, inside the main tank are two vortex mp10 wave makers overflow is at 850 mm and is the whole back wall

We started off the tank with marine tropic salt and 30 kgs of live rock and about an inch layer of live sand. i don't not know if it was cured of not and what is the best way to tell. The live rock is full of little creatures and not to sure which are the good ones or the bad ones i guess we will find out as we progress into the project. One thing we have noticed a healthy population of small crabs, some people are telling us to get them out because of the fact that they can become a pain when they get a bit bigger ( danger to fish and also extending their holes will make the structure weaker) and also because we want to keep all sorts of corals ( do they eat the corals??). One we have noticed doesn't look to friendly dark grey with beady red eyes( what to do with him and how can i remove him) we have also seen some new growth on the live rock i think its a coral but just not sure if it is looks almost like velvet. we also noticed yesterday that there seems to be some type of algae growth or slime am not sure what it is in the rector chamber it is growing on the seperation screen. please answer what questions u can .any help will be appriciated

IMG-20121216-00315.jpg

Untitled.jpg

IMG-20121216-00320.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you're off to a great start.

If you've got space in your sump then best to try and put the crabs in there if you can, leave them to do their thing without possibly causing any harm in your display tank.

The 2nd pic is a bit small but looks like it could be some type of Favia coral perhaps. If you can post a bigger picture it will be easier to identify.

4. Rossi

Rossi

Welcome to MASA

5. Salie

Salie

masahello

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Agreed with viper, seems like a favires sp, but will have to have a better pic.
    Re the crab, unfortunately not even the sump is a good idea . Had one that chopped right through a three core skimmer feed pump cable. Clean off, dead short, lucky i was home...

7. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Welcome sir :thumbup:

When it comes to crabs take my advice and try and catch them. No matter what you do with them just get them out of your display tank as soon as you can in my opinion :whistling:

8. swazi_poison

swazi_poison Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes

Got some advice from aquaria-sa they told us that we should take all the live rock out and put it into RO water to get all the crabs and whatever else is in the rock and what do u know we found 7 crabs in total 3 different species, one was definitely a gorilla crab. unfortunately i forgot to take pictures. Thanks very much for the tip i am sure we would have battled to bait all those crabs and they are definaly not going into the sump im sure they would start breeding in there. and all the eggs would make their way up to the display tanks better to be safe then to realize you have a problem later on

9. the fish

the fish

fortunately crabs dont often breed in captivity. any way welcome to MASA hope you enjoy your stay here

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

11. Dillan

Dillan

Never like the idea of killing something in a system every thing has a part, dip the rocks keep the crabs just sump them they wont get back up to the DT

Recent Posts