New and confused

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mayoginn, 27 Mar 2009.

1. mayoginn

mayoginn

Hi people

I set up my 50 litre tank a month ago, it seems to be going well, as its said its difficult to maintain and run, ph is at 8. I have a clown and yellow tail damsel, they seem to get along. I have live rock and the other day i picked up a piece and saw a bug like creature which ran around in a circle, its about 5mm what could that be? I also noticed a tiny brownish flea like bug that hopped freely through the currents until it landed on a food granule and it gathered another 1 and when I blinked it was gone, I looked around the tank for half an hour but couldnt find where it had gone. Also on 1 piece of rock there is a brown finger like growth and when touched it retracts back into the rock and slowly after some time bit by bit it extends out and is around 10 mm. My damsel looses colour now and then and is very shy, always hiding under rock or behind filter and skimmer, darts around as well, why? My clown seems to love swiming against the glass go up fast towards the filter where the current throws him back, is that normal clown behavior?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

Just keep a close eye on your params. One month is very soon to have livestock in and things can turn ugly quicky in such a small tank.

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

A few pics would help to ID the fingerlike jobby, the small bugs are probably copepods - harmless helpers if they are, how big was the bug that took the food granule?

Welcome to MASA :)

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi MayoGinn! A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great that you have joined us! Awesome that you have found us! Just a quick suggestion - adding fish after 4 weeks is FAR FAR FAR FAR too quick! Poor fish... they must be SUFFERING BIGTIME from too much ammonia and nitrate levels!
    Please supply us with your ammonia and nitrite/nitrate levels?

Many thanks.

Also - please have look around MASA - look at our other "New Member" threads and also "Members tanks and setups" threads....

Please identify a goal, and let us assist you in achieving this goal...

Good luck with you journey into marines....

Please remember: There is NO such thing as a "stupid question", and also - please ask us here BEFORE you purchase ANYTHING from an LFS!

Enjoy your journey into the world of marines!

6. Tony

Tony

Welcome

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

8. crispin

crispin

hello mayoginn :)

great to have you on masa, welcome its a great site and there is lots to learn here. and with a brand new tank just battling with its cycles there certainly is alot to learn :)

Jacques, im afraid to say, has it spot on corect in saying that tank is ay to early to have fish in it. so please please PLEASE dont add anything lse for a while!

If we could have a look at the tank, a few pics, would greatly help us in being able to help you, so please post a few.

its a great start to ahve worms and weird fla things in the tank :) shows things are comming out the LR and thats really realy cool. Lets just give it some time to mature and settle into its cycles :)

ask as many questions as you can, that way we can help you much more:)

also read through some of the threads on here, especially in the beginners section, some very good valuable info there:)

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Hello and welcome

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy your stay with us. Please post some pictures of your tank - we love pics :)

Read through my signature for some great info and don't be shy to ask.

:wave2:

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

:welcometomasa2:

12. Caleb

Caleb

Hi mayoginn, welcome to masa, you have definitely made the right decision to join. These guys are great and very helpful. Sorry for hijacking, but I have been reading a few books and two of them suggest adding Damsels two weeks into a cycle. The books reasoning is/are that damsels are hardy fish and by adding them you are providing biowaste will will help the cycle. What are your thoughts on that?

13. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

normal, except for the yelow tail being shy, those things normally kick the sh!t out of other fish. Fast small crawly thing could be a pistol shrimp or mantis or a hermit without a shell.

14. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

15. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA mayoginn :)

16. crispin

crispin

i definatley thinks thats a decidedly stupid idea. for a number of reasons.

Firstly most of the cycle you wish to stabalise comes from the die off in your LR. Not from a lack of fish. So by simply allowing the natural stabalisation of your LR over a period of time the cycles can complete themselves. Oh and there is more than enough biowaste in the die off from LR.

secondly putting fish into a system that has not completed its main cycling process puts the fish into an environment that is well less than optimal for their health. Thats unethical and cruel. I would love to place reefers in a closed garage with a running engine to see if they survive. Open a window as a way of getting some fresh oxygen (aka water change) and see how they do. should survive, i think....

thirdly very often the said damsels are NOT the fish you WANT. so getting the blasted devils cousins out your tank later on is a real mission. And IF you do, no one else wants them either.

all because you dont want to wait 4-8 weeks to cycle a tank out properly and allow the bacterial populations to establish and grow. Seems rather stupid to me. Maybe just me :)

17. Caleb

Caleb

Good thing I asked first...;)

18. crispin

crispin

thats why we are here :)

19. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

well said Crispin .......

Mayoginn welcome ....oh and post some pics already !!

Caleb ask away..... many years of experience on this forum !

20. mayoginn

mayoginn Thread Starter

Hey all
    Thanks for all that info and welcom, fone was at repairz, i use operamini browser it doesnt allow me to up load picks bt wil get it dne at internet cafe. I read a few oda threads, the finger ting is aiptasia, i saw it grab food and digest it. I had a closer look at the bug/shrimp ting, it kind of walks on its side,looks like a shrimp wd spikes at back. Lastly tis tingy freakd me out, its thin long tentacle keepz grabing piece bye piece of aragonite and kind of glues it on the rock and is building a cacoon thing. Oh please guys what should be dne wd aiptasia? I saw a tank that is completly takn by it, its nasty. Im going for 2 20w t8 white/blue lighting, ne ideas on that?

21. crispin

crispin

Hey Mayogin, well done for showing such tenacity to get onto MASA and even it the net cafe is the only place you can get on, make sure you get down there a couple of times a week, i really do think that you need to read up lots on this forum and ask many questions or you wont ever really understand whats going on in nthat glass box of yours :)

Aptasia, or Glass anenome :googlenub:can be nasty. You can easily have a population explotion and as some ecxperienced reefers on here will tell you, its a real pain to get rid of. They do have some value in the filtering aspect they offer, but thats not for your display tank. You want to get rid of it(mostly likely THEM). I will put a thread together on how to inject them with kalkwasser soon and send you the link. BUT YOU HAVE TIME :) relax with it for a little longer that poor tank is still cycling (do you know what we mean by cycling???) and most likely a few new surprises will come out :) IF that IS Aptasia, we cant really help ID things on your descriptions to be honest, we need those pics fella :O)

Recent Posts