New addition

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Gemma, 26 May 2008.

1. Gemma

Gemma

I've been quiet lately. We are due to do extensions to our house in 4 weeks time so Ive been trying to find a cheapish, quality builder. I am still waiting for prices to come in. My latest addition to my 200l system has been a sand star fish of which I have yet to see. Hopefully its under the gravel. Otherwise my maroon clown and both yellow tail damsels are fine. Under my live rock appear to be white blobs with what looks like a "nipple" at the top of the blob.(not forgetting its upside down). I think they must be sea squirts that look like sponges, if this makes any sense. I cant take pics because my digital is broken. I also have noticed some small red fan/tube worms inside white "houses" (plse excuse the lack of proper jargon). This is the most fascinating part of having the system. Seeing all the little things making an appearance and then growing.
    I Am looking for a small sailfin though. Don't know how often small specimens come along.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hiya Gemma - LONG time no post, hey ;-) Thanks for the update!

What star-fish is this? One of those grey'ish/green'ish star-fish? They spend MOST of their time under the sand, and hidden away in the rocks... they are also MOST likely nocturnal....

Just remember that sail-fin tangs require quite a lot of swimming space, and even if you can get a juvenile, they grow EXTREMELY fast.... Just a "heads-up"...

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

how big are they?
    did you ever go fish collecting?

5. jacquesb

Hi Gemma - these are types of sponges. Part sponge/part turnicate. I have hundreds of these little white fluffy looking things in my tank and sump ;-)

6. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

hey Gemma,

Hows the cold water tank?

7. Gemma

Gemma Thread Starter

My cold water tank is fine, except I am getting red algae in areas of the tank. I have the same return pump as always so can't see it being a circulation thing. There is also plenty of aeration. Any ideas? I also have had green very short algae covering all the rocks which looks a bit ugly. I've had this algae for long time and doen't appear to to be spreading or getting worse (considering its covering all the rocks and pebbles allready). I have put in some small green cushion stars inhopes of getting rid of algae but no luck. The only thing eating the algae is the hermit crabs but they don't get rid of it, they only do the mowing.
    On the tropical tank the new sand star is a white and brown splotchy kind. I must have a look one night after the lights are off. Hopefully it'll come out then.
    Thanks for the heads up on the sailfin. Bit unfair keeping a fish that needs lost of space. My coral beauty doesn't seem to like artemia. Does anyone have suggestions of what else to try.

8. jacquesb

Hi Gemma - something else: The exact name of those sponges are "hairy tube sponges" (sycon species)...

9. jacquesb

Gemma - perhaps you can post some pics of the "red algae"?

10. Gemma

Gemma Thread Starter

Untill I get my camera fixed theres no chance of posting pics. The red algae is in blotchy areas and is thin. Don't know how else to discribe.

11. jacquesb

Ok - is the red algae slimey? Is it plant-like? Or more like cyano?

Recent Posts