New 4ft tank need help setting up

Discussion in 'New Members' started by puffer, 17 Oct 2010.

1. puffer

puffer

[​IMG]Hi guys i am looking for help setting up my 4ft tank so far i got a
    RS 28 elect return pump 2000l/h
    vibration pump 3000l/h
    Red sea salt 10kg
    Buffer
    calcium
    Reggis play sand 30kg
    i am getting a
    ts1 skimmer

Now i want to know what do i put in the sump as filtration and what can i put into the over flow ?

What els do i need to get ?[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nothing much else you need really, get 2 heaters and some live rock then you can sit and wait for the tank to cycle.

Did you wash the playsand before putting it in?

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

What about lighting? And some more pumps. But pumps can come later. Lights too to a degree

5. puffer

puffer Thread Starter

what is the reason behind the heaters ?
    and yes i did wash the sand very thoroughly for the sum what do i need to get cause i don't have allot of bucks to though at the tank as yet but , i know it's the best to go DBS with LS but that means that i have to redo the sump lay out and it's not just me doing the tank but the father-in-law and he is a Southern man so pls help for a low budget !!

if i do go where do i get live sand from ?
    What is the going price for a TS1 skimmer?

Lighting is a bit of a problem cause we need to get a sparky out to have a look at all the wiring ?
    but I'm looking at getting:

2x 12000 k 54w white lights
    2x ? k 54w arctic blue lights

Last edited: 21 Oct 2010
  6. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Well, the heater is to make sure your water temp doesn't drop too much when it gets cold.

I've seen tanks running with out a DSB, but with just live rock and a nice skimmer running, so you should be fine. Also, a TS 1 will probably cost you around R1200 brand new, but you may be able to pick up a nice 2nd hand one for much cheaper.

That lighting should be more than enough for your tank, but it also depends on what you want to keep in it. Just remember that 54 watt T5's are 4ft long tubes. You might have to go with 39watt ones. I don't think you'll need a sparky, but what kind of hood are you gonna put on top of the tank?

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

You can fit 4ft tubes on a 4 foot tank and still have it line up with the edge of the tank. The globes are like 1800mm or something if i remember correctly. But it just depends or preference

8. durleo

durleo

As stated get some good quality live rock and that will be ur main filtration - I think Andreas has some in the for sale section and he is in durbs so wont cost an arm & leg.
    If you gonna go with a DSB then you might have to adjust the sections in ur sump. The one for ur return pump is too large. You will need a 15cm height of playsand and about 10cm of water above it. Let everything cycle and monitor ur ammonia and nitrate and nitrite. You can add a prawn to start the cycle process.

Regards
    Duran

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would rather redo the sump now before you are really up and running. Not a big job, use same sump, just cut out with a blade the current partitions, and re-position them where they should be. Might need one new glass piece.

Put your equiptment in the sump before you put the partitions in place. So that you allocate just enough space for the skimmer and return. First optional extra piece of equiptment (actually a must have) is an auto top-up. Then your return chamber could be just big enough to houde your return pump. Then you end up with max space for the DSB.

Recent Posts