New 3ft Marine mixed reef

JDV

Reaction score
Hi All

Thought I will share my new build I am busy with. I have been collecting things for -+ 6 months now and finally started to fill with Salt water Yesterday.
I work in CPT CBD so everyday for the next 2 days I will be taking water home from the 2 oceans aquarium. The other thing I should mention
that almost everything in this tank is second hand. The only things I got new was things that is not really worth buying second hand or can't find.

Specs:

Tanks: 900x500x500 - Second hand
Sump: 910x300x320 - Second Hand
Stand: Galvanized - Second hand
Glading for stand: Marine-ply - Second hand
Return pump: Jecod DCT-6000 - Second hand
Lights: 2x Fluval Glo 39w Dual T5's - Second hand.
Light Frame: Build with Stainless steel and powder coated black. - DIY New
Skimmer - Reef Octopus int 150 - Second Hand
Jump net - new

Here is some pics. the idea with the light frame is to build my own hybrid light. Still need to save for LED's so these light will have to do for now.
The idea is to get some Radion XR15's or Kessels.

JDV

Reaction score
So the last few foto's is from the weekend, doing leek testing after doing the plumbing.
My dead rock has been cycling in one of these big plastic bins you get from the plastic shop
for the last month or so, I have been adding Seachem stability to help with the cycle.

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
Tank looks great, does not look secondhand at all.

Reaction score
Nice looking tank congrats, I agree with @RiaanP it doesn't look used at all.

Nice African Chichlid tank you have next too it too

Last edited:

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Best of luck with your tank, must be exciting after waiting so long.

JDV

Reaction score
Hi All

Bit of quick update. I got the tank up and running over the holidays. rocks was cycling in a bin for 4 weeks with Stability.
Ammonia and Nitrites was 0 Nitrates was on 50 after the 4 weeks.
Rocks was moved over as well as my rocks from my 2ft tank with Nemo and Martix from filter.
Currently Ammonia and Nitrites is 0, I am seeing Nitrates and Phosphates are climbing but still very low,
I did another round of stability after moving everything over. Tank will be running 3 weeks Tomorrow and 7 weeks all together if you take the cycling of the rocks into account.
Currently I am still keeping the lights off. Lol although I am itch to start turning them on.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Just a suggestion. Put a piece of black ABS sheet against the overflow box. To hide those pipes a bit.

Otherwise, all looking good.

JDV

Reaction score
Hi Lol yes update is long overdue.

At the moment not much going on, thank is in its 4 month of Cycling.
I did 1 month lights off then on for a month and Diatoms started.
I then decided going to leave lights off for the remainder of the 4 month cycle.
By end of of April I am hoping everything should be sorted and Diatoms gone.

The diatoms are starting to disappear but it a very slow process. The Diatoms are only on the new base rock and not on
any of the old dead rock so I suspect its leeching silicates.
No3 / No4 and Nh4Nh3 all 0. Po4 is 1 (I think) Can't remember I need to test again anyway.

The skimmer is still fighting me at the moment but I suspect this will go away as the bio load start
to increase as Only Nemo is currently in the tank. Lol has the entire ocean for him self.

I need some advice on nutrient export. I would like to get this part sorted before start stocking the tank.

I can't decide which way to go so any advice are welcome.

1. Algae scrubber (will have to be a up flow one I suppose due to load-shedding)
2. Refugium with Cheato
3. Reactor with GFO and Carbon.

With option 3 I don't have export for No3 so will have to get something for that.
I am leaning towards option 1.

Some pics. please any suggestions welcome. Thank still looks the same as I have been trying to ignore it so that the cycle can finish.

Reaction score
For nutrient export I would go with the algae scrubber. I'm going to be doing a waterfall style one hooked up to a batter backup for if the power goes off. If you can fit a large enough refugium with good enough lights that would probably be the easiest and be the least maintenance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JpPaulKruger Wanted 0
J@n Medium Tanks 10
J@n Wanted 2
ricky Fresh Water Tanks Discussion 3
Jscholtz014 Wanted 0
Top Bottom