New 135L Nano

Reaction score
Howzit Guys
Was originally going to start up a 4ft tank and then decided to rather resurrect an older all in one cube (135L) to get my self back into the hobby, at the moment ive just filled it up with Dry Rock, Aragonite and running a Bubble Magus 1100L/H return pump to cycle the Tank

Needing to now buy my other equipment, Dont have a hell of a lot of space in the little back chamber but should suffice if I play my cards right, There are 4 chambers
Skimmer - Thinking about getting a Tunze DOC 9004 Skimmer as it will just fit in on of my chambers (anyone have experience with this skimmer? I see its rated 50 to 250L
Will run 2 x Sun sun wave makers (JVP-131)
Finding the right light is proving a bit difficult, I will want to keep SPS eventually in the tank when its mature enough, Any advice on lights? Main display is 600L X 450W X500H, Im not wanting to break the bank on lights, but also looking for somethings thats going to be sufficient enough so I wont need to upgrade (budget around 4k)

Will add some photos of the road so far, Any advice and input will be greatly appreciated! TIA

Attachments

• B53A655E-5D33-4D8A-B677-7EFF71C2CACE.JPG
    B53A655E-5D33-4D8A-B677-7EFF71C2CACE.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (4).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (4).jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (3).jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (2).jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 28
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (5).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (5).jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (6).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (6).jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 33
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (7).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-05 at 10.13.24 (7).jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Update: went a head and ordered a AI prime 16HD light
Those are great lights but sps won't grow nicely and you'll have a harder time keeping high light SPS for your dimensions either way you cut it, having a single puck fixture will lead to shadowing problems as your SPS grow from frags to colonies. At least with a Hydra you'll have dual pucks and that will solve the shadowing

Either that or supplement with T5 or order a 6 bulb fixture from Amazon that fits your tank dimensions and run ATI bulbs

Also T5 isn't as expensive as people make it out to be there is a thread on reef2reef showing yearly replacements on the bulbs are sufficient enough and it's cheaper than buying a high end led unit once off

Now I wouldn't fork out over 8k for a t5 unit for your tank then I'll pick between a hydra or a red sea reef led so get something decent from Amazon in the T5 department excluding bulbs under 8k if you can't get this then let me know I can make a DIY 6 Bulb T5 fixture for under 8k with proper ballasts and reflectors

Hydra would be my top pick for leds cause if you upgrade later on your tank they made for bigger tanks and pack a lot of punch

Reaction score
I think you will be able to go quite far with a prime, IF you start having shadowing problems you can always sell it and get a Hydra32, or you could just add another Prime.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Thats some good advice, My idea was to add another prime 16 if i needed too, Perhaps I should have gone for the 32 straight off the bat, but we live and learn, Im chomping at the bit to add some coral, But im sure i will be looking for a algae problem, So im pretty much cycling with that light off for the next few weeks.

My last water test parameters were as follows:
SG: 1025
No3: 10
No2: 0.1
Nh4: 0

Ive been adding seachem stability and a pouch of Matrix stones in the back, running the Tunze 9004 skimmer as well. From what ive compared it too etc its working great just very wet skimate compared to what ive seen the curves achieve at the LFS, need to empty cup daily, But its definitely taking impurities out of the water.

Awaiting an updated water test, Give it a month or so before adding a some Zoas or some GSP? or am i looking for an algae problem?

Attached an updated photo

Attachments

• 5bf35773-2344-464a-9d62-318d8fb4ba15.jpg
    5bf35773-2344-464a-9d62-318d8fb4ba15.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Thats some good advice, My idea was to add another prime 16 if i needed too, Perhaps I should have gone for the 32 straight off the bat, but we live and learn, Im chomping at the bit to add some coral, But im sure i will be looking for a algae problem, So im pretty much cycling with that light off for the next few weeks.

My last water test parameters were as follows:
SG: 1025
No3: 10
No2: 0.1
Nh4: 0

Ive been adding seachem stability and a pouch of Matrix stones in the back, running the Tunze 9004 skimmer as well. From what ive compared it too etc its working great just very wet skimate compared to what ive seen the curves achieve at the LFS, need to empty cup daily, But its definitely taking impurities out of the water.

Awaiting an updated water test, Give it a month or so before adding a some Zoas or some GSP? or am i looking for an algae problem?

Attached an updated photo
Looks great man! I dont think you will have extreme algae issues after a month. I will say from my limited personal experience my tank seemed to stabalise after adding a fish. Seems to me like a fish is quite an important part of the equation. If I had to start another tank I would get a fish or two first before adding corals.

Reaction score
I have added 2 x tiny ocellaris clowns, I think thats where ive gotten a small ammonia spike, Ive just heard stories of guys wanting to add corals too early and have to run there lights on schedule causing a disastrous ugly phase / Algae bloom, Any truth to this?

Reaction score
I have added 2 x tiny ocellaris clowns, I think thats where ive gotten a small ammonia spike, Ive just heard stories of guys wanting to add corals too early and have to run there lights on schedule causing a disastrous ugly phase / Algae bloom, Any truth to this?
Yes there is some truth to it check out BRS vids on YouTube you’ll have “less” of an ugly phase especially if you went full dry rock. Also your tank isn’t fully cycled thats why you see No2 and ammonia, remember even in low amounts its not nice for fish to stay in Ammonia or Nitrite

imagine breathing in smoke every minute of every day that burns your lungs (I'm not the fish police) but I'm pretty sure it sucks

now bacteria in a bottle works (here comes the but) it's not a complete replacement for the cycle having a empty fish tank for a couple of weeks sucks but struggling with a improperly cycled tank sucks even more

slow it down take your time adding things too fast is the worst you can do at the start you don't want to sit with major issues for long term such as hair algae, dinos and a host of other problems.

Everyone gets a ugly phase sooner or later this has been proven multiple times depending on how bad yours might be and for how long depends on how you started.

The prime wasn't a bad move, if you do eventually upgrade you can use it as a sump light and add a frag rack to the sump :thumbup: more space for coral or just add some Qualum LED bars or Orpheks instead of a second prime to help with the shading but it's gonna be awhile before that so you can save up and make a informed decision maybe by then you'll be so successful you'll even upgrade your tank and lights go the full 5 XR30s 220gal wall to wall sps :cheers2: cause bigger is better:drool5:

Reefing isn't short term and it isn't easy or cheap especially SPS, every single person has different ideas and advice according on what they had success with also sunk cost fallacy is a thing and everyone is guilty of this one way or the other this especially holds true for any "Miracle Solutions" some swear by them some don't.

Think of it like that one mate of yours that bought the new GWM Bakkie and swears it's the best bakkie better than all other bakkies but he's only ever owned that GWM Bakkie before that he drove a Fiesta.

This sums up different methods of reefing and advice everyone is gonna say something different and swear by their methods

Sorry for the wall of text

Reaction score
Just my opinion on the AI prime .. spoke to a fellow Reefer about it and watched a BRS video and it’s common opinion that it’s much better to have two prime pucks then the hydra on this size of a tank so that you can space them to avoid shadowing. May cost a bit more for two primes then one hydra but the ability to separate them is power :) I rate you made the right move

Top Bottom