New 10 gallon Nano (JEBO)

Reaction score
Hi All, just started a Nano Marine tank about 3 months ago, no frags yet.
I have 2 blue legged Hermit crabs and 2 tiny red sea anemones (hitchhikers).
Looking good so far ;)

The anemones came due to me grabbing some local water from the ocean *blush* just to help "mature" the tank a little faster.

I have a very mature brackish water tank with figure 8 puffers, mollies, spiny eels and green spotted puffers, i have also in the past reared indian mud moray eels (also known as freshwater snowflake eels) got them really small and fed them up to about 40" from 10", probably the most entertaining experience i have ever had the privilege of having.

Thx for the post on the NSW, even though i have never had a marine tank until now i researched hundreds...nay thousands of sited/wiki's/forums etc etc about it, i even build a D.I.Y protein skimmer or 3.
I love the fact that everyone is so friendly and give so much input off the bat.
Thx once again and i know i will be begging for help soon enough ...lol.

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

sorry they a little blurry....getting the camera ready for the Nano.
Please let me know if its against the rules to post non related pics like my B/W.
cheers for now.

Here is my Nano.
Still very empty.
Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Kinda looks more like a local rock pool for now.
fully Cycled, it took about 3 months, i went through the usual nitrate spikes, ammonia etc..it built up with LOADS of brown algae and finally clear.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Mookz, welcome to MASA, i hope you can post up some pics of your tanks, they sound good, and don't get worried by using sea water, many folk on here (and other forums) use it, just be careful where you get it from.

Reaction score
welcometomasa i use NSW, its much better than using salt, your corals will prefer it and love you for it, do a water change once a week/two weeks with NSW and your corals will seriously love it! um, this is when its finished cycling though, dont want to be messing that up:)

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA :wave2:

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
welcometomasa i use NSW, its much better than using salt, your corals will prefer it and love you for it, do a water change once a week/two weeks with NSW and your corals will seriously love it! um, this is when its finished cycling though, dont want to be messing that up:)
Welcome Mookz to MASA:thumbup:

scuba what makes you say this, is this opione orientated or biased on fact, please specify as there are people on both sides of the fence and with you saying why you are not actually teaching Moohz anything.
So please give some reasoning.
</IMG></IMG>

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A very WARM Welcome to MASA Mookz - it's up to you.
I personally also use NSW from 2 Oceans. I have never yet used synthetic salt. I am quite happy with NSW at this stage. I do indeed believe that corals do color up a slight bit more with synthetic salt. BUT, I have not enough reason to become a convert....

Look at Puppy's tank in "Member's Setups" and look at Mekaeel's tank's in the same forum - you will see very similar accomplishments - where Puppy uses synthetic salt, and Mekaeel using NSW (from Durbs)....

Reaction score
Welcome to MASA!!

Reaction score
Hi all thank you for the warm welcome!!

p.s. the B/W tank is my wifes(it was her Christmas present from me), we spend hours keeping it nice and comfy for all the "babies"

The Marine Tank is my new endeavor ;)

Reaction score
scuba what makes you say this, is this opione orientated or biased on fact, please specify as there are people on both sides of the fence and with you saying why you are not actually teaching Moohz anything.
So please give some reasoning.
its partly based on opinion and partly on fact, as mentioned earlier, look at mekaeels tank, his opinion is based on his experience, and i draw from his experience as he's been through it all already. Whats said in these posts is mainly to give our suggestions and help. not really to make one conform to what we do, so it would appear i'm on the fence, but i say go NSW, there are still nutrients etc that scientists still dont know about today that our corals need, for a noob its easier to go NSW(as well as cheaper) as you are getting exactly what you need nutrient wise because its coming from the source we're trying to copy.

So Moohz, i say use NSW, the regular water changes you will do in future-i say use NSW. but make sure you collect where the water conditions are good, cause unfortunately our oceans arent as up to scratch as we'd like(pollution).

Last edited:

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
welcome

Reaction score
Cooling Fan's

Hi Guys, a quick question on cooling fan's, is it better to make the fans blow onto the water, or suck the warm air out of the tank?

I am still working on building a sump out of a second Jebo.
i will be drilling a overflow for the Jebo when i build the stand.
This will contain a D.I.Y skimmer, fan's etc etc.

Please help with the fan's.

Reaction score
Welcome mooks, nice little setup. I do have one question though. I do not see any live rock in the display, are you planning on putting some in your sump eventually?

Reaction score
Welcome mooks, nice little setup. I do have one question though. I do not see any live rock in the display, are you planning on putting some in your sump eventually?

I will be doing that in the near future, first want to make sure that i can stabilize the temperature etc before i invest to much time/effort.