new 1.5m reef tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by S2, 17 Aug 2009.

1. S2

S2

hey guys gonna be starting a new reef tank and need advice the ds is 1500 long, 800 high, 600 wide. the sump 1200 long, 460 high, 500 wide. Went window shopping for a good skimmer and wanted to get a deltec but way too much for my budget any recommendations i have seen reeftec range to but really want a deltec and gonna have to save big time, would like to know which deltec skimmer would work best for my tank and any opinions on which reeftec skimmer would equal the performance of the deltec. And secondly could i use beach sand in my dsb and dt ,i wanted to 2cm in the dt and 15cm in the dsb is this correct and if i cannot use the beach sand whats the best alternative thanks guys.:wave2:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

S2 not to sound like im punting it because i have one for sale as i actually dont want to sell it but i have had amazing skimmate production from my DNW 250 rated at 2000lt.. you system holding approx 720lt water (excl sump) would probably get away nicley with a TS3 or OCTX 200 internal or external (pocket change availability dependant :)).. deltec while definatley a formidable brand on the market has sadly failed to justify its significantly higher price when in comparison to reefocto/reeftek (to me anyway- i must say i ave never owned one). id advise doubling up on wour water capacity where skimmer purchase is concerned EG: tank of 1000lt buy a skimmer rated at 2000lt. Im sure many will advise you but try reduce your height and go for width. i promise you it will make life easier and far more simpler from an acess point of view.. i have trouble with my .700 high but then again im quite a short person...

you could use the beach sand of the right grain size (to deter trapping dirt and fuelling diatom blooms/growth) but id advise mixing it with a aragonite making a blend.. im a BB fan so im not really a fan of substrate although im considering it for my DT again as im wanting sand loving wrasse and gobies in my new tank.

i wish you well with your new project..

4. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Which grain size would work best i heard sugar fine would work. As for the skimmer i would probably go for a higher rated reeftec skimmer

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

S2 welcome if i have not already welcomed you.

i have to agree with Leslie on his comment about the height of the tank ..... you REALLY will struggle with a tank 800 high.... if you want corals this height will be a massive problem when it comes to light demanding corals ! I would reccomment no more than 600 height ..... i have a 750 high tank and regret it big time !

6. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Hi neil i have been hearing that from everybody i actually went for the height cos i didnt want the tank to be long because of space and since ill be going for a full reef system im gonno be going with metal halides seen some cool packages at naac the weekend and might do it diy.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depending on your stand height.

I'm 1.8. And my Armpit is at 1.55 (about) So anything lower than 1.55 I can reach over and touch or move or position. (ok depending on how deep it is)

So not to grab a chair or step ladder to pick up something from the substrate, the stand can only be .7 if tank is .8.
    But that might give you other issues. Ensure what skimmer and what height that skimmer needs to get the cup off! Also future work on sump area will always have you on your knees (cursing).

I saw Neil's tank, stunning, but a problem to do anything inside the DT.

Can you make the sump longer?

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

my main problem was A) my lighting requirement would have jumped to 250w instead of 150w (although if you gonna go 250w it isnt really an issue and B) i battled to salvage my corals when they toppled over. i lost 2 clams this way.. i have since gone .600 deep and .750 wide and am loving every minute of it.. the only thing i might change is the length from 1.200 to 1.5 on my new system.

9. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Riaan im nearly 2m tall so i dnt mind the tank height . I bought the tank and sump second hand and i believe it belonged to puppy last years tank of the year winner. And what skimmer would u recommend for this system as i cant afford deltec

10. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Oh yes what do the rest of u guys think for the use of beach sand in dt and my dsb and what thickness should it b in the dt and dsb

11. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

tagging along, however, can you post a pic of the sump?
    If its Puppys Tank and sump then yu have a winner :thumbup:
    Ive seen that tank in person and the sump is a work of art!
    You could serach for the thread on his tank and study the pics for tips on how it was setup before and possibly get Puppy to advise on how it functions.
    Agree on the height, however, puppy ran that tank with a combination of metal halides and T5 lights and his corals were amazing :thumbup:
    pity about the width, 700-800 would be better.

12. S2

S2 Thread Starter

I actually wanted to try and get hold of puppy on masa to advise me on that sump cos i was stunned when i saw it at naac and is that his fish and corals in that square tank at naac

13. keyaam

keyaam

Hey S2

That is an awesome buy. Puppy's tank is a winner. So its your tank that has been standing in the shop. The sump used on that cube at NAAC is not the same sump that ran puppy's tank, only the hardware and livestock.

14. S2

S2 Thread Starter

To keyaam yip i gt the sump must collect the dt the weekend. I thought so that it was puppy livestock in that tank

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

S2 congrats on your purchase...

16. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Thanks riyad its gonna be a big project for me and i want to do it right first time. The hard work begins this weekend to clean the tanks but really excited about the project gonna have to take it slow.

17. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Hey guys i should of said this at the begining that i started this thread to help get advice with my suggestions and plans to build my tank up right , first i would like to focus on cleaning the tanks spot less from algae and coraline algae and refurbishing the stand ,was gna grind the stand clean of any rust and paint and use hammer rite, any advice on what to use to clean the tanks i heard something bout using vinegar.

18. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Secondly is ok to use beach sand in the dsb and dt and how thick should it be, i was thinkin 2cm in the dt and 15cm maybe more in the dsb. And a little help on a skimmer will probably go for a reeftec but not sure what model and howmuch they go for

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi S2 apologies for not welcoming you earlier but better late than never! Sounds like an awesome setup you planning I'm sure it will be a stunner! With regards to beach sand in the DT its a personal preference and depends on the livestock you wanna keep - some fishies love substrate to bury themselves in like Leslie said wrasses and gobies and with sand in the DT it also creates a place for goggas and thingies to grow in therefore increasing the naturbal bio filteration in your setup and at a later stage when your setup is well established you will also be able to keep certain species of fish that require lots of gogga's as there food as you would have a huge pod population! Maybe increase your DT sand level to 5 to 10 cm's but sump is bout right! With regards to a skimmer advice all I can say is go and buy the biggest and best that your pocket can manage as this becomes your safety net for any mistakes you make along this marine journey! I have the reef octopus and a reeftek and I can tell you that I am very happy with their value for money but again it boils down to preference!
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. S2

S2 Thread Starter

Thanks chikaboo im very excited bout thus one. Would most likely go for the reeftec as u say value for money. As for the sand was going to fetch some the weekend but i have to work my only concern was the thickness in the dt i didnt want any waste to build up but would probably go between 5-10cm and perhaps make my dsb 20cm, and still need time to clean the tanks would probably get started in the morning

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok the depth for the DT should be alright but the DSB depth should be between 15-18 cm's anything more would be wasting - the sand would be too deep for the gogga's to do their job. Also watch your flow over your DSB if it is too fast the bigger dirt particals will not settle on the DSB and get eaten!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Recent Posts